Thread: old school vw

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: old school vw
    Thank's Xbird
    Yes done a few and baja bugs.
    Success today, took if for about a 10 mile run and nothing fell off and the big plus I didn't have to walk home. Rear torsion's settled in a bit to much so tomorrow I will get them readjusted. As soon as It gets dark the wife and I are taking it out for a spin again to see how the lights work and swallow a few bugs, hopefully stay ahead of the mosquito's .

2. Collapse Details
    I run a ~50ohm resistor with my LED alternator idiot light so it can pass enough current to bring the alternator field coil up if that's the trouble you're having, have to match it to what's running in line with the LED already of course.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I run a ~50ohm resistor with my LED alternator idiot light so it can pass enough current to bring the alternator field coil up if that's the trouble you're having, have to match it to what's running in line with the LED already of course.
    The alternator on this one has external regulator so it uses and ignition wire to get it going . The idiot light circuit doesn't kill the the ground 100% so the led stays on dim. so far the only thing I found that makes it work right is to wire in another small regular bulb light behind the dash . The bigger issue right now is the charging voltage is still a bit to high 14.7 to 14.8 volts at higher rpm's, it's not going to hurt any thing running the 034 point distributor but if I switch back to the electronic it will probably burn it up

4. Collapse Details
    Might struggle with the battery outgassing unless you're running a silver calcium type too.

5. Collapse Details
    Readjusted the torsion bars , added 10% to the spring plates and it seems to work out about right. Took it out for a good run, did a little jumping then started getting this metal on metal grinding popping sounds, come to find out the spring plates were bowing out past the lower stops , bolted on some flat bars and all is good . The brakes stop good but I need to do something to get a little more to the rear and less on the front , not sure what yet . The one guy at CB performance told me to try a residual valve on the rear that it hold 4 lbs of pressure so the rears kick in a little quicker, my thoughts are to run 2 master cylinders with adjustable linkage but then agian it would be nice to have something adjustable on the fly

6. Collapse Details
    Brakes were a simple fix just readjusted the rears a bit tighter. Pedal feels a lot better and now the front and rears lock up about the same time . Stops quick and straight so calling it good. My fuel tank worked out good , I used a 6 gallon OMC portable boat tank with one way vent and fuel gauge, makes it a little easier pulling it out and taking it to gas station rather than messing with gas cans

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3