Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Mak's next buggy.
    I unloaded the first part of the next buggy last night.

It's not much of a beginning, but more will follow very soon.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Mak's next buggy.
    Looking forward to it!

3. Collapse Details
    tomorrow...possibly...

4. Collapse Details
    That's a nice size engine for sure! Those old tow rigs in your last picture are pretty cool too! Do they still run?

5. Collapse Details
    I'll ask him if they're for sale daaboots lol

So I got this thing...

First impression is WOAH! It most certainly doesn't not have anywhere near the power of the vifferbuggy lol. But, despite that, it actually does get up and move pretty good. I certainly didn't spend any time thinking "if only it were faster". I wish it would accelerate a little better but eh.

So, surprises:

It actually has the fuel injected triple. It's a bit peppier than I thought, but this motor is a leaky mofo. Also has a less than ideal ring or valve somewhere because it smokes pretty good on start up. The PCV was pinched off and that could have cause "some" of it but I don't think it could account for all the smoke I saw. It cleared up after I let her idle thoroughly. Still leaks a lot...looks like from the head area, definitely from the base gasket, and saw some oil bubbling around an assortment of bolts.

Tires are practically new!

The practically new tires and wheels are too wide and rubbed the shocks so they moved the lower mounts over...which causes them to bind up on heavy compression.

Seats are rubbish.

I just...don't know. Tangled, bone dry...took me an hour to get it all out, lubed, and spooled back up properly. Or as properly as it would let me do it since it was creased in places. I'm going to have to go find a tree and use it to drag the buggy up to pull some of the creases out. Even then the cable will never be the same. It works, though. I might just buy a new cable.

Now...The real surprise...

Contrary to what I was told, the tranny input shaft is on the left side of the buggy...and it spins clockwise looking at it. This simplifies mating the B12 engine to it so much. The buggy cost me more than I was expecting so I thought I would have to put the B12 swap off until the fall, probably...but I don't think so now. At the time I believed the transmission to be reversed, which would mean I would need to drive it via shaft extensions with the motor backwards and a chain. That's not the way it will need to be.

I'm going to get a blown clutch plate for one of the engines and a beat front sprocket for the B12. I'll have both turned down and fitted to a stainless sleeve...the whole thing will be 4" long...one end goes in the tranny bell, one end on the B12 output shaft, and the there's my connection. I'll use the B12 clutch and the Cherry 4 speed tranny. The B12 will be left in 3rd gear (1:1 ratio) unless I feel I need to go really really fast or need to tractor over a mountain or something.

All I'll need are new motor mounts...which really is an undertaking in itself, but I was going to have to do that anyway. This will be much, much cheaper than trying to find a B13 to stick in it.

6. Collapse Details
    Street shoes..

7. Collapse Details
    that buggy has great potential! I like it

8. Collapse Details
    My wife's ACE has the synthetic rope on her winch and it's soooo nice to work with. No tangles, no kinks, no little splinters to stick in your fingers!

9. Collapse Details
    I've been wishy washy on ropes. Break too easily, but certainly are far easier to use. I don't think I could get away with them on a 1300lb buggy.

10. Collapse Details
    I just went out and toted the kids about the neighborhood and I'm not sure I want to drop my B12 engine in it. This thing is by no means fast, but it's not slow. I think I definitely want more than 40hp, but I think I'm losing interest in altering the entire powertrain. Probably unreasonable to expect to find a decent turbo swift to swap in, but I bet I can find a 1000cc metro engine to run and I bet that would be power enough. I think I'm going to start looking into that as an option.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast