Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Mak's next buggy.
    So...against all reason:

‘02 CBR954RR

Now, this buggy has been an “adventure” of what i might want to do with it...first the Bandit 1200, then maybe boosting the F8, then maybe swapping in the G10, then possibly boosting the G10...and so on. The Reason I ultimately ditched the Bandit 1200 was fuel injection, air cooling, and someone offered my three times what I paid for it. The reason i haven’t fully committed to boosting the F8 or installing the G10 (andpossibly boosting it it) is gearing...i just can’t get the low range i really want.

And now i got a good deal of a 954 lump. I’m committing to this. I have two options here:

1. Chain drive a traditional spool. I like this idea for simplicity. I hate this idea because reverse is critical and i can’t afford the typical FNR boxes rated for 150hp.

2. Mate the 954 to either the Roketa 4-spd or the Geo 5-spd. I love this idea because it’s simple and it gives me an incredible range of ratios and i keep reverse. I hate this idea because it has a huge footprint and might require the useof a jack-shaft.

I’m leaning toward #2, buti would LOVE to hear ideas about an affordable, reliable reverse option.

2. Collapse Details
    I have a similar project going now. I have a 2007 Roketa. It was a 2 seater 800cc. 8 have stretched it 30 inches to make 4 seater. I have swapped the 800cc for a gsxr 750. I am running a FNR gear box. Gearbox is Chinese and was used on the roketa, and others, 250cc buggy. Logic says that it was only designed to handle a 250cc 20hp engine, but this wasn't my idea. A few people have had some success with it. The word is, it will handle the hp in forward gear, but the reverse is weak and should be babied. Not sure how to post photos, or I would show you what I have so far. Also, I am chain drive to the gear box input shaft. I am currently fabricating a hub that Iwill weld to the input shaft and the hub will have a 3 bolt hole pattern that I will put in the sprocket. My gear box is a 2 to 1 ratio. I'm going to run different sprocket combinations to get the gearing I want. I will try 24, 26 and a 30 tooth on the gearbox and try with a few front tooth 15, 16 and 17 .

3. Collapse Details
    If I can figure out how to post photos, I have a trailing arm design you may like. Pretty basic and not too difficult to fab.

4. Collapse Details
    Email me the pictures and i’ll post them...i’d like to see it. Makenzie71@gmail.com

the fnr box like what’s used in the 250cc GK13 held up to my VFR800 without any trouble at all, but that was in a much lighter buggy. I don’t know how it’d hold up to a GK32’s weight.

5. Collapse Details
    So, you have tried this gear box before? I would like to talk to you when its convenient.

6. Collapse Details
    You can see it here:

https://www.buggynews.com/honda-vfr8...896d791b8c7694

I used the factory box from the GK13. It looks like you’re using a box from a Gk06 or Gk03...they’re not the same, so it might not relate to your build. But there have been a few people do swaps with the gk06 that worked okay.

7. Collapse Details
    Fired up! Now the hard part starts...

https://youtu.be/Qrjo0X2sLQg

8. Collapse Details
    Okay so I'm coupling the CBR engine to the Geo 5-speed transmission. I'm using the clutch splines from the Geo's clutch disc pressed and welded into a hub. The hub will then be fitted to a 1" 1040 shaft and passed through two bearings for support. The bearings will be mounted on either side of a 3/8" steel plate bolted to the transmission's bell.

A decision I'm faced with right now...do I weld the hub to the shaft or do I rely on a key? the shaft is harder than the key so if something fails the key should shear off fairly clean...might save my shaft. But I'm also using keyed hubs on the jack shaft that'll be used to connect the engine to the transmission...and it's my thinking there, as well. I want a planned "soft spot" in the assembly that'll maybe help save the transmission from the engine if I get a little too wild, but how many weak points (keys) are really needed? My thinking right now is to run keys on everything, weld as little as possible, and see where the weakest areas really are...does this seem logical to anyone else?

9. Collapse Details
    Okay so my plan was to have a bearing on the inside of the transmission plate and one on the outside of the plate, but there's not enough room to put on inside. Anyone think a bearing on the outside will be enough support to take the load off the transmission input shaft?

I didn't get the pictures resized so the bigguns be here: https://imgur.com/a/PmoRMC9

10. Collapse Details
    The one bearing will be fine. All it has to do is stop the input shaft moving off centre and side loading the bearing in the case.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast