Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Mak's next buggy.
    Got the old lump out...

Turns out it was leaking quite a bit more than I thought from the transmission seals.

Setting up temporary mounts for the new transmission. I didn't get quite as far with this part as I wanted to but encountered some axle issues...

And then axle issues...ugh...

As it turns out the overall length of the new axles versus the old axles is just about the same...only the Geo's axles are offset (one short, one long). The outside splines were identical to the Buggy, though, so no modifications were needed to make the axles connect the tranny to the wheels!

The issue is that at full droop or compression the short axle pulls out of the CV. Only one side seems to be a plunging joint, too, whereas the Roketa axle worked both ends.

Now I'm dealing with a bit of a conundrum...I'm going to have to change something with the axles or run a strap and bumps that basically put my rear travel back to the stock 6". I'm not really okay with either option. The ride height and travel are needed and I really wanted it to use as much in the way of off the shelf parts as possible. I really didn't want to screw with my wheelbase at all, but the only way I really see this panning out is chopping up the trailing arms so I can spread out the rear track a little bit and using two of the long side Geo axles. I could also see if the Geo inside cups will fit the Roketa axles, but that really puts me back at using fewer obtainable parts.

2. Collapse Details
    well then...I cut everything apart and cut the short axle in half and welded a splice in so that it's the same length as the long side...which I do want equal length everything. Won't work...too long, they cross as center with the suspension fully extended and the shafts fully compressed. It's almost like these geo metro parts weren't meant to be used in a long travel buggy.

3. Collapse Details
    Nothings easy is it.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

4. Collapse Details
    Everything's easy if you cut it up enough!

I went and bought another long axle and decided to get the transmission centered and mounted. I'll worry about connecting it to the wheels later. I'm probably going to chop the trailing arms and make them wider or something.

5. Collapse Details
    Got the transmission mounted this morning! The mounts are mostly angle which I know is not the most elegant stuff, but it gives me nice easy flat surfaces and straight lines to measure off of. The transmission is mounted at two points on the bell and the brace mount on the opposite side. My original plan was to have a plate covering the bell but I think this will be adequate and it will allow me an easy means of inspecting the shaft. I welded the brace to the Roketa motor mounts. I left some material on the front mount because I will likely be adding another bearing to the shaft and this will give me a good anchor point. I made the whole thing where the transmission can be lifted out with four bolts...even with the engine in place, the assembly should be able to slide out the passenger side if you take the wheel off.

I will have to stretch the rear track out about 4" to get the axles to work and I don't think I'm going to have as much travel, but it is what it is. I had the factory axles a little stretched as well, this will relieve a little stress I hope.

Only real concern is a thing the rear mount will interfere with my chain line...nothing a little notch won't fix, though.

6. Collapse Details
    A smudge on the camera got some of my pics! Oh well...it's not that exciting anyway.

I got the transmission mounts finished and painted...I never seem to have the right color paint on hand.

The axles I wanted to use were too long, though...so the choices were make the wheelbase longer, or make the track wider. I didn't want to do either, so I did both. Getting it to line up meant the wheelbase was about 2" longer and the track about about 2" wider. I had to chop my swingarms all up but they were both tweaked anyway.

I LOVE WOOD*. This rough jig let me square up both arms and mirror them. I was able to level the blocks and then flip the board up and lever the pivot and the axle line...so I get X and Z without much drama at all. The pivot is 12mm and I was able to have a 12mm threaded rod to use there but the axle line is 35mm...I had to use a 1" sch40 pipe to line that up so there is just a little itty bit of slop there, but shouldn't matter for what I'm doing. The splices aren't the same on both because the right side arm has already been cut apart a couple times to attempt to fix a tweak. After getting some heavy tacks on them I was able to loosen the axle line just a little and the pipe spins freely...hopefully my camber won't be too wonky. Not the prettiest, but should work.

*no homo

7. Collapse Details
    ha and they bind. I was about 1/2, maybe 3/4, of an inch shy on the track. It's not so much that it prevents the arms from moving, but adds enough resistance to travel that if I raise the arm up all the way without anything on it (caliper/wheel) it doesn't have enough weight to come back on it's own. The transmission is on rubber mounts and I can see if shift a little in the swing. I'm sticking with it for now...I want to change these to dual A arms or a three link setup in the future anyway. To make this work I'm going to have to cut my arms apart and redo that whole thing, cut my transmission mounts apart and shift it forward, or maybe knock the joints off the shafts and grind them down just a hair.

8. Collapse Details
    Wow fast progress! How far off will the twin A arms be? With your build rate you could be up and running with A arms in 2 weeks!

9. Collapse Details
    I want to do the A-arms this winter...kind of have to build up a bit of a budget for that unless I'm going to use tractor links

I tend to work fast when I'm in these projects. I've spent years thinking about it and getting parts together. Things can come together pretty quickly when you're all mise en place about it...plus I don't care what it looks like so long as it works. I might have my buggy driving before Kfab can get that thing of his out and driving about, but it'll never look or perform as good lol

10. Collapse Details
    Sounds like a plan. I'm not that stressed about show car looks. Long as it rips.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast