Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Questions on my new build.
    I have some questions on a build I'm planning on attempting here after the holidays and wanted your guys experience and ideas to help me out.
    My idea is to combine the European (rage) buggy chassis, yfz 450r a arms spindles calipers rotors up front with trx 450r front shocks. The rear will be a compleat Forman diff with extended axles on yfz 450r arms and parts out to the hub with trx 450r rear shocks. Than I have a cbr 929rr engine and everything to run it. Does this sound like it's worth doing or are there other stuff that could work better? My intentions are to run around my personal motor cross track and wax rzrs in the normal trail rides/ hill climbs.

Thanks for your help and the add. I don't know much about these things other than I'd like to make a mx worthy buggy.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Questions on my new build.
    Your engine has much more power than a typical rzr, gives you the potential to go faster than a rzr....
    Your suspension is lighter duty than a rzr, gives you the potential to break faster than a rzr....

To wax a rzr, make sure both your engine and suspension allow you to do that. That 929rr is an awesome engine, build your own long travel suspension or purchase some from ProtoDie or one of the other fine supporters of this forum.
    Just another Dreamer....

My website: http://www.moto-mule.com/

3. Collapse Details
    Ok thanks. Should I stay away from the quad spindles also?

4. Collapse Details
    It kind of depends on the terrain your planning on running. If your gonna ride it on flat Farm terrain and dirt roads then you may be ok with the Quad arms but the spindles may be weak if you don't engineer the chassis to be as light as possible.
    If your running through desert, woods, and dunes.Then on your first run out with the CBR engine your gonna say, "Damn! I wasted all that time setting up those quad arms for me just to get bumped and bucked around and barely ever get out of 2nd!"

The CBR is a big power plant, capable of speeds on a buggy of up to 80mph+.
    The suspension has to match the power plant or else all the hard work will be worth nothing!
    Take your time, do your research, listen to the vets on hear and take note of the insight they give you. There's a lot of guys on here that are on their Second or 3rd build because they said they weren't planning on going that fast with it, or they didn't need that much suspension, but once they felt the fun factor and Adrenaline rush, they were hooked on wanting more out of their buggies. Hence, out with the old, in with the new.
    Resale is rarely as much as what you put into it, unless it's built Pro with great welds and suspension.
    Which is why you can find project buggies all day long on Craigslist with Quad suspension for like $1500.
    Not to sound discouraging, but on a well built buggy that's capable of handling a CBR engine with ease through all gears, all terrain, $1500 wouldn't even cover the front end suspension alone unless your a pro at finding good used parts for dirt cheap.

Take your time, research, and figure budget.
    Last edited by rgvkid; 12-23-2014 at 06:30 PM.

5. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I'll echo rgvkid.

My brother-in-law owns a really nice, really fast Honda dirt bike. It has a pretty beefy long travel suspension on it and he can really move down the trails. On a recent outing, he tried out a friends 250cc motorcycle, just for the fun of it. He came back and reported that he really couldn't go as fast as the bike engine would allow on the trails because the suspension didn't have much travel in it. The whoops and dips in the trail would bounce him up and down.

The moral of the story is to have lots of travel in the suspension if you're running a big engine and you want to go fast. If you want to leave the Rzr's in the dust then you'll need a suspension that's a little bit better than the Rzr. I'm thinking that the ATV arms and shocks will be a little underwhelming for the type of buggy you desire.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MR49!! View Post
    Ok thanks. Should I stay away from the quad spindles also?
    You mention "MX track" and "waxing RZR's on trails".... Yes, stay away from quad spindles. There are several builds on here that you can use for reference for building great suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by rgvkid View Post
    There's a lot of guys on here that are on their Second or 3rd build because they said they weren't planning on going that fast with it, or they didn't need that much suspension, but once they felt the fun factor and Adrenaline rush, they were hooked on wanting more out of their buggies. Hence, out with the old, in with the new.
    I am guilty of this myself! I didn't think I'd need more travel than 9-10"... But I used a similar engine to yours... Fine for the flat stuff, but beat me up in the whoops and rough terrain. Round two for me will have twice the suspension travel.... Learn from others mistakes, like mine....
    Just another Dreamer....

My website: http://www.moto-mule.com/

7. Collapse Details
    These guys know what they are talking about, I've learned a lot in a year from them.
    I do have YFZ450 spindles and arms on my build but I can't tell you how they handle because I havn't driven it yet. My buggy is a 500cc lightweight machine, its likely still pushing the limits of the YFZ450 front end components but for now I plan to run it and it'll likely be my first upgrade in the future.
    Another option is that ther are wads of aftermarket long travel YFZ450 arm kits out there. If one can be had for cheap its another option to get you in the dirt quicker.

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    First off, welcome to the site.

Okay, you have HP and the ability to go fast. If you're gonna use that engine, then go ahead and build to it. The ride you described would probably be good with something along a raptor engine, but you're looking at a lot more than a Raptor...

Suspension is your friend! And you want good working, well set up suspension to put that power to the ground. We'll guide ya!

9. Collapse Details
    Ok you guys have gave me some info I needed. What kind of wheel base are you guys running? The trails around here are opened up good for sxs type buggies but aren't 10feet wide everywhere. I know from racing quads that suspension is worth more than the motor 10:1. Figuratively speaking. It's more important I know. So if I were to be able to achieve 14" of travel would that be enough? To do this I'll have to make my own spindles arms and get some super long shocks. Are the fox air shocks with 12" of travel worth the money? I feel I'm fully capable of making the other components but just like the first post I made experience saves time and money. This is why I'm asking you guys. Are there some good fully adjustable shocks that aren't 400$ a piece?

Thanks for the replies! It's helping me a lot.

10. Collapse Details
    I shoulda looked around before I posted the last thing. I think I'm going to look at some rzr parts to get the travel im wanting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast