Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Single seat buggy project
    Recently I picked up a long travel single seater buggy. The frame and suspension was built by someone that used to go to school with me and seems pretty solid. It came with everything included in the pictures (seat, tires, wilwood brakes, bilstein shocks, and the steering wheel. So i recently picked up an old 1990 FZR 600R for the motor and it came with a spare so this week im tearing into that to get it ready for the rail.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions on things to do or look out for. I plan on using this buggy for Dunes (silver lake), 2 tracks, ice racing, and possibly auto cross here and there.

Thanks everyone!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Single seat buggy project
    Nice pick up looks like a well built chassis! Good luck cant wait to see what you do with it.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks! like I said i'll be trying to get one of the two motors running this upcoming week and i'll begin making a build blog to keep everyone posted with pictures and potential problems/questions

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Howdy Fatboy. Welcome to MBN.

Since you already have a "Project in Progress", I'm going to move this thread from the welcome mat to the Projects section of the site.

Looks like you have a great base start. Keep us updated and don't be afraid to ask questions - that the great thing about this place; you'll get answers!
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks alot K-Fab! its kind of an off season for me because I dont have garage space but like I said the motor should be running this week and I'll get a video up for you guys

6. Collapse Details
    a lot - two words...
    Sorry, it's a pet peeve of mine.
    And you're welcome.

Hey, head into your profile and add your location - you may find fellow members (like Nutz) in your neck of the woods (which I'm guessing is Michigan or the Mid-West, where it's suck ass cold, gray, wet, dreary and where I am NO LONGER LIVING!!! WOO HOO!!! - uh, sorry... Just glad to not be there after 25 years.)
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

7. Collapse Details
    First thing to come to mind is the space for the motor. Perhaps just the picture angles but it looks tight for an Bike motor like the FZR once you stack on the carbs and air box.

Second thought is the rear sprocket looks smallish. Most are shooting for a 5:1ish chain reduction depending on tires and motor.

Regardless, all are workable...just spend a little time looking into gearing so sprocket changes later don't cause too much rework.

You could also build a litle engine test stand to sort outball the electrical. I kind of wish I had done that on my first motor when figuring things out.

Frame looks cool and looks like a great start!
    Last edited by Martinm210; 12-12-2014 at 02:50 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Good thinking, the guy I had purchased it from said it was set up for an R1 motor he had but he stated that the rear sprocket was to small either way I planned on using this FZR as kind of a practice motor. Next year I'll be moving out to Wisconsin working for Miller Electric and plan to purchase something a bit more worthy of this buggy (after "a lot" of research)

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboy1214 View Post
    (after "a lot" of research)

Thank you!
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

10. Collapse Details
    Alright, so I dug into the motorcycle more. What a wiring nightmare I was able to print off a diagram which helped alot and I'm able to have the motor turn over and fuel pump kick on, now for the issues. When i crank the motor over I was able to get one spark off of one plug each time i recranked the motor over and then no spark. I've tried all four plugs (2 different coils) and the same thing on each plug wire even with different plugs. Sorry if this is kind of confusing I'm not really sure how else to explain it but if you guys have any ideas please let me know thanks!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast