-bad grounds usually the cause of a lot wiring problems
    -are the coils mounted to the engine / grounded /
    any corrosion on contact points ?
    -when cranking over, check the voltage of the
    small wires that power the coil
    -plugs must be touching a good unpainted part
    on the motor when testing for spark

From an FZR troubleshooting page:

[Cylinders 1 and 4 are on the same coil, and 2 and 3 are on the other. The idea is that the cylinders are paired for balance and fire at the same time. If it is sputtering and jumping, I would start with the cheap end of the ignition system: the spark plugs. A good look at these will tell you which cylinders are firing, or not, and what the conditions are inside the cylinder. Also look for any cracks in the porcelain, loose terminal screws, or even a loose spark plug cap.

However, to check the coils you'll need a multi-meter that will handle the voltage and ranges of resistance below.

1. Make sure there is 12 volts at each of the plugs in the wiring harness. If the connectors aren't color coded, take note of which came off which coil as this is how the ignition unit determines which coil to fire when. You'll know instantly if it's wrong because the engine will backfire both out the back and up through the carburetors.

2. Check the primary resistance at the harness connector to the coils. The Yamaha manual for the '90 also has the appendix for the '89 model, so I'm assuming it is the same coil. IF this is the case, the resistance should be between 1.8 - 2.2 ohms at 68 degrees F. BE CAREFUL to make sure that the meter you are using is fused to protect against touching the wrong ends to the leads.

* Leads are the follow colors in my Yamaha manual:

* Right ignition coil = red/white (+) and gray (-)

* Left ignition coil = red/white (+) and orange (-)

3. Check the secondary resistance with the same method. Using one spark plug lead for positive, and the other for negative, the range should be 9.6 - 14.4 k ohms at 68 degrees. ]

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Single seat buggy project
    Hey there fat boy! Welcome to the fun. I hail from Allendale, just west of GR. If you need help with anything, give me a shout. Their is a (space bar) lot of good peeps here with a lot of excellent fabrication, design, and machining skills.

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks Justin!
    Most of my fabrication will be done in the spring due to the rail being at my trailer at silver lake and the bike is currently in commerce township with my friend working on the electrical. He does keep me posted on everything so if we come up with anything else we'll keep you guys posted!

4. Collapse Details
    Hey guys just an update, We've been pretty busy with motorcycles and moving stuff around lately but I thought I would show you the other buggy I picked up this summer. It has a kz1000 in it and once again having trouble getting spark. DAMN this cold weather and no garage near my house

5. Collapse Details
    Well I figured a little update was in order. We got the bike to fire but very shortly after starting (Immediately) it caught on fire Thankfully we put it out. So currently I am in the process of cleaning the carbs to try and have a consistent source of fuel. Meanwhile I've been on ebay searching for what i think would be a good candidate for this buggy (cbr600) if anyone has suggestions on motors it would be greatly appreciated I come from the dual sport world and not so much in sport bikes.
    I'm also going to put the blue rail up for sale here in the spring so if anyone on here is interested or your friend i'll let you get first call

6. Collapse Details
    I can't say enough how much I appreciate having fuel injection. I've mostly run carbed quads except my wifes prior LTR450, but have been fortnate to have FI on three streetbikes now and also have it on my buggy with it's '07 gsxr 600. FI is more complex in parts and electrical but once it's running good It just seems like it solves all those cold start days and issues are gone. It's super nice not having started the motor for two months and and/or changing elevation and having it start right up without hesitation at the touch of a buttom.

I would vote for something with fuel injection if at all possible and any of the 600s would do fine. I'm super happy with my 07 gsxr600, I really never have to work on the motor other than regular maintenance. It just runs perfect all the time, every time. 105hp is plenty for my smaller buggy needs even in sand. I could see wanting a 1000 or busa for a heavier/bigger buggy, but I find the 600 to be plenty for my needs and they are a lot more readily available and half the cost of a liter motor.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 02-14-2015 at 01:13 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    I have the perfect engine for you

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/sale/...inja-sale.html

8. Collapse Details
    I would be interested Pstegs 101 just a few questions
    How many miles were on the bike when the motor was removed
    do you happen to know the compression on each cylinder
    how long ago did you remove it
    and where are you located?

Thanks for looking out guys i'm really looking at something reliable and I figured efi is really the way to go I just am at school currently

9. Collapse Details
    I have to check on the number of miles. And I purchased the engine last summer so around 6-7 months. The compressions are normal since I had it taken out of a running non crashed bike.

Also, I live in Maine.

10. Collapse Details
    Okay so it has been awhile since I've posted or even been on

First off I would like to say sorry for being so unresponsive about buying the motor to Pstegs101

I am now all settled at my new place in wisconsin for the summer and I have gotten some work done on the buggy lately, and bought another go kart (Super death trap!) I bought it for 500$ and it came with an 01 R1 from a guy whos brother passed away and wanted it gone, the buggy was constructed with conduit and came with what i believe is all of the wiring, 4 new rear wheels with rims, and 6 new front tires with rims. I broke the sad excuses for welds unloading the buggy and I am currently using half of the go kart for a motor stand while getting the R1 to run correctly.

I took all the surface rust off and sprayed the buggy (nice spray paint) to get me through while I get the buggy running properly then I plan on getting it powder coated.

With my purchase of the buggy it came with this Tuff Torq by Kanazmi which looks like some sort of transfer case or transmission to me but I cannot find anything about them online let me know if anyone knows anythings about these

Skid Plate before and After

Trailing it from silver lake MI to appleton WI

If you guys have any suggestions on where to start with the motor please let me know, I got it to roll over fine and the guy I bought it from said his brother had it running but it would not stay running due to "Tip Over Sensor" I will be doing more research on all of this and keep everyone posted on my progress

I Will be posting pictures of the other buggy and parts soon

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast