Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Two more buggies build in the mix...
    Yet another build thread! I've been in the planning and parts collecting stages for a little while but now itís just about time to start bending some metal!

I started with a set of ST4 plans, and had planned to merge some of the suspension from the Megalodon plans, very similar to what Cody did with his builds (awesome job on those!): https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...new-build.html

The chassis design has since grown in width, length, and height and Iíve tweaked a few bits of the design. Iíll try to hurry up and get some chassis drawings finished and presentable so I can post those up. For now some photos of random parts will have to suffice.

In addition to the various boxes of goodies, I picked up a 07 Busa motor and JeffCo FNR box from a forum member recently so those are going to propel this bunch of tubes. I have started building jigs for the a-arms, spindles and rear hub mounts. Hoping to see a box from GK machine next week full of cut parts so I can get started on the suspension cradle assemblies. Unfortunately Iím going to need to find a new home for my racecar to make room before I can really get rolling on the full chassisÖ Anyone in the market for a BMW e30 racecar with a built LS1?
    Last edited by iflytii; 02-12-2017 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Photos too big!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: One more buggy build in the mix...
    Whoot Whoot! Excited on the build man!

3. Collapse Details
    Out with the old(race car), in with the new! Look forward to watching the build. If I haven't already said it, welcome to the forum!

4. Collapse Details
    very cool, always fun to watch these builds start!!!
    Just another Dreamer....

My website: http://www.moto-mule.com/

5. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Welcome to the madness!

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the welcomes guys!

Plans are coming a little slower than I would like. Trying to build the frame in bend-tech, and I guess I'm just getting too old to learn new software quickly... lol

Actually starting to get the hang of it but still relying on good ol' Autocad for much of the "figuring out" parts. Hopefully I will have the frame modeled out tonight but I have enough done in Autocad where you can start to see how it is shaping up.

Still looks a lot like an ST4, but I've substituted the square tube for round, increased the cockpit size and changed some of the load points. I'm happy with it so far, now back to plugging in points to bend-tech.

7. Collapse Details
    Drawings look great and like many of these dudes have told me, those front upper shock mounts are going to need a lot of bracing so they dont snap off and take your shocks life with them. Example

8. Collapse Details
    emkc02, it almost looks like the material used wasn't as thick as specified in the instructions but no matter I've made a few changes in that area that will hopefully provide some extra strength.

I made a little more progress on the frame but it is still certainly a work in progress.

Also did a little more work on the a-arms, about ready to go on those since they can be done with the racecar still in the garage. I'm pretty happy with them even though they aren't dimensionally much different than the Badlands design - but I'm always open to constructive criticism. The uppers are 1" x .095", the lowers are .120" sheet - cut, bent and fully welded. (The tabs for the shocks are 3/16")

Now it's time for some Maybe I can get Bend-tech figured out this weekend...

9. Collapse Details
    In addition to omitting the top hole where the upper shock mount failed, consider adding a box section or tube straight across the top of the "V" or fattening up the width at the underside radius as much as you can without hitting a contact point with the shock body.

10. Collapse Details
    For the towers I would box in both sides. The tower arm is acting like a beam so tension stresses form in the under side and compression on top. Looks like the failed example had the inside/top boxed in but no sheet on the outer/underside. Of coarse this does make for a water trap if you leave the lightening holes unless you boxed those in with tubes.

I would also suggest supporting the towers bulkhead more up top. I've seen a few videos where the entire bulkhead was rotating under movement. I think the upper portion of the towers and bulkhead should be more frame integrated to minimize movement.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast