Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: One more buggy build in the mix...
    Thanks flyerrider for all the advice!

I've deviated from the ST4 design quite a bit, really to the point where only the suspension carriers are all that's left from the original plans. I need to get my current chassis drawings cleaned up enough to make a few presentable images- the bar is pretty high around here!

Unfortunately I've already invested in all the cut parts for the suspension carriers as well as most everything else I could think of so I'm somewhat financially locked into what I have.

I think changing the rear shock to be lower is certainly achievable with a few small tweaks but to redesign the front completely will have to wait until buggy 2.0.

In regards to the Saco R&P, would any of you guys be able to pull a few basic measurements from it? I've emailed Saco to see if the lighter version (one under the Magnum) can handle a 14" spreader, and for dimensions, but I haven't heard back from them yet.
    Last edited by iflytii; 03-12-2015 at 04:55 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Are you using solidworks? I have a solidworks file for my rack.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by justindutton66 View Post
    Are you using solidworks? I have a solidworks file for my rack.
    Not using solidworks even though I probably need to be. I should be able to import a solidworks file into Autocad. If you wouldn't mind emailing that, I'd really appreciate it!!! My email is my user name @ gmail.com. Thanks!

4. Collapse Details
    Cool, no problem. Email sent.

Solidworks for the win!

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by justindutton66 View Post
    Cool, no problem. Email sent.

Solidworks for the win!
    Thanks Justin!

6. Collapse Details
    Still waiting on an answer from Saco on the 14" spreader so I've been giving some thought to the front hub and brake assembly. Coming from the car world where 75-80% of your braking is done up front I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the smallish brake options for a combo spindle setup compared to what I already have setup in the back. I know some guys don't even have front brakes, but I want to take this more places than just the sand - including the street if I can swing it. So it would seem front brakes would still want to have the same dynamics as a traditional "car" requiring more bias towards the front?

I have quite a few bits from other projects laying around, including a new set of dynalite calipers (I did have to pull the spacers out for a non-vented rotor), various hat and rotor combinations, and few bearings. After drawing up a few combinations it was apparent it was going to be a battle fighting to keep the assembly "petite" using automotive bearings even with alloy hats and calipers.

So after an evening of brainstorming with a friend, and fellow buggy builder we stumbled on something I think will work great. Using wide 5 (think stock car, not VW), spindle and hub choices suddenly became affordable. Wheels are dirt cheap too! I actually run wide 5 wheels on my BMW racecar with an adapter because I can get 16" x whatever width I want, in Aluminum, cheaper than any comparable custom wheel I could find.

Coleman Racing has starlite 55 hubs for $103 each. Bearing/Seal/Locknuts are about $44 per side. Stub Axles are $35 each. Rotors (11.5 x .375, 8 x 7") are on clearance @ speedway for $29 each. I already own the calipers/pads. Unless I'm missing something, compared to the $600-1000 for the standard off-the-shelf stuff this seems like a good alternative.

The hubs weight 7ish lbs each. With bearings more but since they basically replace the center of the wheels even cheap steel wheels are reasonably light (20lbs for 15x8"), and are available in every imaginable offset/backspace to compensate for fitment.

7. Collapse Details
    iflytii? Are you a Taiwanese pilot?

Hub(red), looks really thick?

Nice cad!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    iflytii? Are you a Taiwanese pilot?

Hub(red), looks really thick?

Nice cad!

Thanks! My screen name carried over from the world of cars. I have a fascination with old BMW's, for some reason. The late 60s, early 70s 2002s are among my favorites, and my 74 2002 tii has been a project long in the works.

I don't have a good picture of the hubs from the back but I believe the backside is pocketed and I just made it solid to get it drawn for mockup. I can't see them being solid at their advertised 7 lbs 5.6 oz.

9. Collapse Details
    Got the caliper on, bracket adjusted, and lightened my wallet a bit.

10. Collapse Details
    I was wondering if the Tii in your screen name was from the Bimmer. Sweet car! I had a '71 2002 (I'm a round tail light guy ) that I bought from my dad and then sold it back to him a few years later. He bought it brand new off the lot when he was 18 after getting in too much trouble in his 914. He almost bought a used Gullwing instead of the 2002 but didn't want a 16 year old car! Oops. The Bimmer is still in his garage in need of valve guides.

Cad work looks good. It might be the pictures but it looks like your scrub radius may be a bit excessive.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast