Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    2 seater RC51 1000cc Go Fast/Trail Riding Buggy
    Hello everyone, this is my first post here, and first Mini-Buggy build.
    I'm 20 years old, I like to go fast and I'm also into rock crawling and have built a 5.3 S10 street rod, a Jeep crawler, as well as a full tube chassis. Both had/have rockwells and a 6.0 turbocharged. We just do it for fun, and it's dad's toy, I just had to do all the work because he has an eye problem and can't do all the fab stuff. I don't have the money to build one of those, but I do have the money to build one of these things. And I've always wanted a damm go Kart, and we never had one as kids.
    This is a budget build, and I have a pretty good idea of how to go about it by reading on this Site, and past personal experiences. Plus, Google and I get along pretty well.

Here is a picture of the Tube Chassis I was talking about:

My design plan for the Chassis is to get as close to that thing as I can. I don't need an exact replica, just for them to look the same until you get close enough to tell they're not. lol.

I have a 95 Ninja600 Motor for the power. I'll be using the brakes off of that bike for this build.
    I'm planing on turning the motor sideways, and putting a driveline just far enough below it that the sprockets wont hit and transfer power by chain.
    That driveline will go to two IRS center sections allowing me to have 4wd. It will be select able by a sliding collar connecting the middle of the driveline to the front, back, or both.
    For reverse I'll put a starter on that driveline as well. The rear axle will be welded up to act as a locker, and the break will be mounted at the pinion. The front will be open (I think), with brakes at each wheel.

Questions i have:
    1.I'm planning on using either a ford fusion, or honda crv IRS axle. The fusion axle is cheaper on ebay, but still waiting for a response from a buddy at LKQ on prices. Do you fellas have any other suggestions? When I google IRS cars, It brings up nothing BUT THE I. R. S. extremely frustrating.
    2.Do you think their stock CV shafts will hold up to the travel these buggys normally see? I can make a different setup that will do better, I just think stock parts will be easiest to find.

3.And lastly.... If I'm wrong, point me in the right direction. I'm going for a Rzr type buggy. Will this design work? Has anyone done something like this before? If so, Please provide a link because I love reading other people's ideas and building off that, if it works!

Thanks everyone,
    Branden

2. Collapse Details
    re: 2 seater RC51 1000cc Go Fast/Trail Riding Buggy
    Branden, many of us have thought about building what you are talking about. We will enjoy watching your progress!!

Like the crawler by the way!

Welcome!
    Just another Dreamer....

My website: http://www.moto-mule.com/

3. Collapse Details
    Check out the sticky in the driveline forum. Most seem to use 930 CVs which can give you up to about 22-25 degrees. Travel is limited by the CV max angularity and you axel length, but as you can see the rzr and wildcat do a really good job at maximizing that length via short center, inset rear rims, and stuffing that outer cv and stub axel into that back wheel.

RZRs are nice machines, but they are a bit heavy with their open doors and frame rail type design. Most custom buggies go for more of a unibody triangulated frame.

Not sure about civic or other CVs. The outer CV should have pretty high angularity with the turning movements, but the inner joint probably not. A Civic has what 4" max travel if that. Nonexperience myself though, waiting to get my chain driven buggies done first before moving onto a CV setup.

Using rzr 900 running gear would be another option if only they could be found cheap.

Have seen a few ujoint type drivelines used on some builds as well but 930cvs seem to be the most common cv of choice.

I started my buggy as my friends have a few rzr 900s. I probably will have 3000 or so into mine when it's done, but depending on shocks and motor prices it could be done for less. Much cheaper than a new rzr for sure and rewarding and fun having something totally custom. Lots of builds to get ideas from, just look through this forum and start reading.

Awesome job on the rock crawler buggy, if you built that you should have no trouble with a lighter weight buggy.
    Last edited by Martinm210; 04-24-2014 at 01:16 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Welcome to the site Branden!
    First off, Nice Crawler Buggy! That looks fun as a 4 seater!

Now about your build. Is the engine a Ninja600, ZX6, or ZX6R? The 600's would be on the bottom end of power performance for a 2 seater, but would make a great Single seater. You could run the 600 but you would have to change the gear ratio pretty low to get enough torque out of it, especially if you are planning on crawling.

Which leads to the questions, which will also help others to give better advice:

1. Are you planning to Crawl, Dune, Woods, Race?

2. What size wheels do you want to run?

3. When you say Budget, We say, How Much$?
    It will give us a better perspective on what to suggest.

4. This will help you understand the differences and angles of CV's
    CV Joints 101

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

It will be a Unibody type buggy. And light as possible.
    I think the U-joint type axle shafts will be easiest, and strongest. Probably never go bad, I wouldn't think anyways.

Do I want to crawl, dunes, woods, or race? Yes. Lol. I think all but the crawling option are kinda in the same category. Basically just go fast. And I'll give up the crawling for the go fast. I'll ride with dad if I want to crawl.

Tire size? Good question. I have yet to check anything on this, but I'll probably go with something close to the Rzrs. If anything, a little bigger?

Budget. I would love to stay under $1000. But I think $1500 is more realistic. Once I buy axles, the most expensive thing left is shocks. And not sure what I want to do with that. Has anyone ever ran air bags? (I like to try fun things, instead of follow the norm.)

Thanks guys,
    Branden

6. Collapse Details
    Branden, I'm building a 4x4 two seater using components from a sportsman four wheeler. It's not a high class ride or professional build by any means but it should be fun. I'm going to use monroe air shocks to start out with then upgrade when I can afford it. I got all four shocks for $150 and I think they will work well for now. Just an idea

7. Collapse Details
    $1500!
    Your gonna need to be at least in the $4000 range. Thats what most on here would call a Budget buggy.
    $3000 if your really ingenuitive.
    I think Martin is at about $3000 on his buggy and thats only 2 wheel drive and he still has more he wants to do. But he has Tons of Design, Research, and Labor hours that if he calculated it out, his buggy would be in the $10k range.
    If you built what you say you have then you should know that parts aren't cheap, I don't mean that in an offensive way.

The majority of Buggies on here are in the $10K and more range and thats still considered a budget build compared to a new RZR.

Quality 1310 U-joints are about $15-$25 a piece
    Used 27" RZR size wheels and tires are gonna run you about $400+, depending on size and what you can find on Craigslist.
    Plus Sprockets, bearings, Chain drive, brakes, axles, etc. Your gonna go through $1500 on the first day!
    Chassis material alone, you'd be at about $500+. Keep in mind, you can't use Pipe if you want it to be strong and Lightweight.

Look into a used Rhino. You can pick those up fairly cheap now, Cheap meaning $3500. Those have a 4wd driveline and a decent wheel base, but Rhino's are on the bottom of the SXS Totem Pole. But it would be a start if you don't want to spend the time and money to design and build a full chassis.
    Last edited by rgvkid; 04-24-2014 at 09:37 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    I built a piranha for about 1600 or 1700 it turned out nice It can be done . shocks. cvs . Costom made parts cost big good luck
    One GSXR 600 piranha One unfinished TL1000R double seat torque monster One 800 polaris buggy

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by rgvkid View Post
    $1500!
    Your gonna need to be at least in the $4000 range. Thats what most on here would call a Budget buggy.
    $3000 if your really ingenuitive.
    I think Martin is at about $3000 on his buggy and thats only 2 wheel drive and he still has more he wants to do. But he has Tons of Design, Research, and Labor hours that if he calculated it out, his buggy would be in the $10k range.
    If you built what you say you have then you should know that parts aren't cheap, I don't mean that in an offensive way.

The majority of Buggies on here are in the $10K and more range and thats still considered a budget build compared to a new RZR.

Quality 1310 U-joints are about $15-$25 a piece
    Used 27" RZR size wheels and tires are gonna run you about $400+, depending on size and what you can find on Craigslist.
    Plus Sprockets, bearings, Chain drive, brakes, axles, etc. Your gonna go through $1500 on the first day!
    Chassis material alone, you'd be at about $500+. Keep in mind, you can't use Pipe if you want it to be strong and Lightweight.

Look into a used Rhino. You can pick those up fairly cheap now, Cheap meaning $3500. Those have a 4wd driveline and a decent wheel base, but Rhino's are on the bottom of the SXS Totem Pole. But it would be a start if you don't want to spend the time and money to design and build a full chassis.
    I hate that you say this, party because you are right on some things, but I really think you're wrong about how much money I have to spend. I can make a lot of things, and I have some pretty good resources for tubing, parts, accessories, and tools to put it all together.

Please don't get me wrong, I've read a TON of stuff you've posted and it has been EXTREMELY helpful! So I'm not trying to put you down, just trying to say I can do this pretty cheap, and have a nice, quality buggy.

I found Ford Fusion rear axles, with CV shafts. For two of them I'm looking at around $450. That's a big savings, compared to what I thought it was going to be. They have a 3.46 gear in them.
    I have brakes, chain, and sprocket from the bike I got the engine from. Also have working gauges from that bike.

Shocks will be the last expensive thing... Any more ideas? Thanks for yours, UpNorth!

Thanks,
    Branden

10. Collapse Details
    If I was on a quick budget build, I would go single front and rear arms with a live center running just a single CV or U joint. Limit travel number to 8-10" use monroe air shocks, and keep it all very simple. We've seen several good examples of that.

The higher costs seem inevitable when you start looking for 14-20" of travel running dual arms or some other more complex camber controlled suspension. It's also pretty tough to buy shocks capable of high travel numbers with spending a lot.

Budget building is very doable though, especially if you already have the motor. I would highly recommend a single arm type build though and keep travel numbers reasonable to fit that.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast