Page 237 of 243 FirstFirst ... 137 187 227 235 236 237 238 239 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 2429
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: The Mini-Raptor, K-fab Style
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Another test run was done today.

Helmet on, goggles in place, ears plugged and harness tight.
    Nobody can bitch at me this time (and yeah, I see my thumbs in the wheel a couple of times - was aware and kept telling myself STOP THAT!)

Some stuff better, some not so much.

The Good:

Spins the tires on asphalt - I had to get across the road so I stepped on it - I mean why not? It made me think of riding in the Trophy Truck back in '06. Punch the fun pedal, suddenly can't see over the hood from all the weight transfer and rear end squat. Fun stuff.

Played with shock valving a bit - it's better, but still way light. She bounces badly after a good G-out. I'd just thrown in half a turn on everything to see if that would make any difference.

Engine seems more responsive so I think the Autotune is working correctly. I dumped the last mods it made into it and now I'm starting to see higher boost pressures. Up to 5 psi (of 8) now from what I see on data logging. (just starting to go through that). I need to dump the latest tune in and see what that does.

Locking diff works. Kept wondering why the drive train seemed to spool up and I wasn't getting the drive I was expecting when I first took off in the dirt. Oh, clicky the diff button, yeeee hawww. Open diff in the dirt SUCKS. I drove on the street with it open just to see what it was like in corners on the way to the dirt. I like it for the street.

Four wheel drive - really makes the front end go where I point it very nicely. I like that I've adapted the RZR drive train - know it well, it works well, it's proving good thus far.

I think it may need a lighter roll bar - it rides really flat and the back end is loose - then again, that may have to do with a comment below.

I'm really impressed with just how solid everything seems to be. I'm not hearing creaks or squeaks or sounds that shouldn't be there. I did hear the body tag the front left wheel ever so slightly once.

The Bad:

It decided that it was not going to start last week. Turns over, has fuel, has spark but no vroom, vroom.
    Doesn't smell like it's getting any fuel.

Diagnostics time. Hold buttons, turn key, wait, push buttons... Key through the diagnostic numbers. Check injectors (you can key them on/off), each one fires five times. Turn key, vroom, vroom. Hmmm....

More diagnostics.
    05 - air temp reads 22 (not sure if this is F or C yet)

06 - water temp reads 68 (now I'm thinking F as it's 68F in my shop)
    Okay, this is weird.

Make a call to good friend and killer mechanic. He says he's guessing that it's something to do with the air temp sensor (we're both thinking F). Okay, all good. Easy enough to get online and order one. Have it the next day (needed some other stuff from Rocky Mountain so it was convenient).

Today: Plug in sensor, same.
    Okay, let's check ECUs - change out, same.
    Shit.
    I checked the resistance and connections on the air sensor and all was correct.

Make another call to Don and discuss.

Start reading codes and stuff from the service manual and start realizing things are in C. So it thinks the engine's warm therefore it's not going into "choke" mode. Unplugged the water temp sensor, turn the key and vroom vroom.
    YAY!

SHIT!

The water temp sensor is the hardest piece to get to.

I checked it's resistance reading against another one that I have and the resistance reads quite differently between the two. I need to get to the impossible to reach plug and attach the loose water temp sensor to the harness and see if it thinks things are good.

Coming home the rear feels loose. Almost like it's trying to steer a tad...
    Dat's not good.
    Get home wiggle wheel, rear wheel bearings are loose - both wheels wobble badly. Gotta jack that up and figure out what's gone bad.

Muffler cover decided to go poof and of course, burned up some wire (fortunately a short easy to replace piece).
    It did this when I parked in the garage.
    Got out, saw a little bit of black smoke and orange fire, walked over, blew it out and if it had decided to go big I was gonna push the bitch out of the garage and walk away. Gonna pull the carbon off of the shield, go get some Cerakote, coat the aluminum shield and be done with it.

"Oh, oh, oh, my truck's on fire"... (only Bruce Springsteen song I can stomach - that dude is HORRIBLE)

The front shielding seems to be content.
    Yay...

Secondary clutch temp sensor is acting weird. I checked the connections and things seem good. More shit to look at. Last time it was a cold solder - tiny wires are tender and easy to do that too.

Oil temps were high - 235F Need to look into this. Not really sure what high temps are for a sled engine but that seems too much to me.

Oil temps stayed pretty consistent so maybe it's good? Research time.

Water temp on the dash is legit - and a tad high. I'm not sure that the rad fans were getting activated (that's supposed to be controlled by the Yamaha ECU - does it through diagnostics).

Fuel regulator has decided to leak. When I got out I see a small puddle under the car. The whole clutch side is covered in wet dirt that stinks - this thing is determined to go up in smoke. If it tries hard enough I'm gonna step out and walk away.
    I'm becoming f'n tired of this project again. SOOOO close and then more Gremlins. I know they have to be weeded out but man...

Got shit to do this week so I'm gonna step away from it for a bit.

Grumble
    Grumble

Today's run part 1:

Today's run part II:

Last edited by K-fab; 02-19-2021 at 06:56 PM.
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

2. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    Those shocks will always feel floaty. They do not have any sort of low speed damping. Remember this from the DezTaz tuning? Ron didn't think it was necessary and seemed a little offended that I did LOL.

Sway bar looks very stiff. Lots of side to side whip and lack of lean in the corners. Try unhooking 1 side and going for a ride.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    Those shocks will always feel floaty. They do not have any sort of low speed damping. Remember this from the DezTaz tuning? Ron didn't think it was necessary and seemed a little offended that I did LOL.
    He wasn't happy with you was he! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    Sway bar looks very stiff. Lots of side to side whip and lack of lean in the corners. Try unhooking 1 side and going for a ride.
    Once I get it running again.... grumble, grumble. Must figure out rear bearing wobble before anything else.

What say you about oil temps?
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

4. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    235 isn't unreasonable if it stays there. if it regularly heads over 250 then I would do something about it.

Edit, oil needs to get over 220 to boil the moisture out. If it never gets hot you will end up with a milkshake.

5. Collapse Details
    You can't be left alone for two seconds without getting all down in the dumps. Problems are part of building a project this massive. It would most likely be the most comprehensive and detailed build this forum has ever seen? Work away at the problems one at a time as time and motivation permits. No hurry bud.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

6. Collapse Details
    Good oil info. I’ll go look at the logged data - seems it was a pretty flat line now that I think about it.

Thanks Jimmy!
    You’re absolutely correct, there is so much in this thing ...
    I’ve not bitten off more than I can chew but my mouth is full. - fortunately I can shove a whole large slice of pizza in my face.

I figure at minimum another year before it gets “done”.

HVAC system scares the crap outta me. Totally new component & system that I know NOTHING about.
    Onward! Thru the fog!, er, dust!
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

7. Collapse Details
    Fukin-A dude! love the vids! Sounds like the Briggs with a little whooosh added!

1) Fuel leak bad! fix first and good!
    2) Spray cerakote and while its drying tighten the wheel bearings.
    3) Wiring, meh! Thats a by product of the heat shield, not an individual issue. Shouldn't be a problem once the heat shield is fixed.

3 simple steps and you'll be back at it.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

8. Collapse Details
    Had a few moments in the shop - did a quick camber adjustment on my old XP900, as my friend who bought them from us is selling it on Saturday. Had to say goodbye to it and pet the carbon dash that I made 9 years ago.

Anyhow pulled the Mini-Raptor’s left rear wheel, then caliper, then hub.

Bearing (it’s a split, dual inner race setup that Polaris uses) is still firmly in carrier. I was worried it was wallowing.

Hub fits tightly, axle was still torqued.

Probably gonna have to pull the carrier so I can toss it on the bench, yank the axle and dick around with the assembly to figure out where the slop has come from.

It makes no sense.

The only thing I can come up with is that Polaris uses two coned washers under the axle nut.
    So... does that extra .040” of the second washer make the difference? All was tight when assembled. Will pull other washer from other side and see if two is required. I have doubles up front (not sure why I don’t on rear - there aren’t any spares floating around) and the fronts are solid.

If the double setup works I think I’ll just cut a couple thick washers and see where that gets me. My better half is outta here for the weekend so I’m gonna have excess shop time.
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

9. Collapse Details
    Updated my previous post with a few pix

Okay, maybe not as bad as I thought.

Made some washers and stuck em' in. They're not as flexy flyer as the OEM units.
    Double stacking, they still go slightly conical but nothing like the OEM squishies.

What the single OEM looked like when removed:

My new pair next to the old one:

Tightened everything up to spec and all the wiggle is gone. Think I've dodged a big bullet.
    Checked up front and they, with the double washers, are just fine.

Now it's find the fuel reg leak. 90% sure it's on the input side and is either the AN fitting not being tight enough on the nipple or the nipple's sealing ring is compromised. It's that harder white plastic stuff and I think it needs to be an o-ring or a brass washer instead.

We'll see...
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

10. Collapse Details
    Also talked with my buddy Don and discussed oil temps. Said that 235F is absolutely fine.
    Told me to set the alarm at 335F.
    His old (absolutely monster of an) XR650 ran 320-340F all the time and it never had any oil related issues.
    Sand is for fast cars
    Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

Page 237 of 243 FirstFirst ... 137 187 227 235 236 237 238 239 ... LastLast