Page 233 of 239 FirstFirst ... 133 183 223 231 232 233 234 235 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 2383
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: The Mini-Raptor, K-fab Style
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quick update:

Clean up is done - putting things back together now.

Where the cam cover drooped it let fire extinguisher crap get under and into the top of the head. Fortunately just in the cavities and it doesn't appear that any got farther than what's seen in the picture. I took a lot of time and carefully cleaned it all up. Good thing is that the next place for the oil to go is through the filter so anything I missed won't go thru the engine, just into the filter.

My burnt up harness sitting next to an OEM Nytro harness. I'll get a couple pix of just how much of the harness I don't use (if I can get my phone to take pix... the stabilization system has taken a shit so I get the jelly pix. Have to whack the phone and hope it catches focus. Waiting on parts to fix it)

And the harness all naked and ready for disassembly.

Presently working on getting all the harness stuff to fit onto the Mini-Raptor's platform. I have all the signal and sensor wires located and run, now it's get all the ground and common wires rerouted and set. Harness is gonna look really good when I'm done. I kept all the OEM covers/shields so no zip tied bundles, just smooth, insulated and covered like it's OEM. (I hope).

Back to the shop with me. Spent 5 hours on wiring yesterday and if someone were to walk down and look at it they'd think I'd just thrown a pile o' wires on top of the engine.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

2. Collapse Details
    More wiring. You lucky lucky man.

At least you can forget about your dash for a awhile.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

3. Collapse Details
    HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!!!!!!
    Ride it like you Stole IT!!!

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
    HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!!!!!!
    Happy New Year!!!

Planning on starting ours with a RUNNING vehicle. (key word - planning....)

Been busy with life, holiday, b-day - all that stuff that gets in the way of shop time so I've not had a chance to do much and to boot, my phone's camera was on the fritz. I didn't know that hard mounting it to your motocross bike's handlebars would finally shake the stabilization out of it. All I could take for the past couple of weeks was jelly looking photos.

Ordered a component from Dyno-Jet a couple of weeks ago - it was on a Friday, late in the afternoon. I'll be damned if it didn't show up the next day. Las Vegas is about 5 hours from me and the postal service did a bang up job getting the auto tune to me.
    So I called and asked about getting a wire harness for my PCV (since I'm not scared of going inside the box - figured I'd just solder a new one in place). Nope, but they'll sell you new at a discount if you send in old.

On the 18th I boxed up the burnt up PCV and Autotune (going to return the purchased one and save a bit of coin). Put the burnt items in a Priority mail box (should be 2 days max) and off to the post office I went.

I expected to hear from Dyno-Jet pretty quickly, as their customer service is excellent. Nothing... Three days, nothing. Better check the package tracking. What the ???? It's just left Phoenix? Okay, holiday mail service is dorked so...

Couple more days, still nothing from Dyno-Jet. Checked tracking again. Why in the world has my box gone from Phoenix to Houston? Wrong direction and off by about 1200 miles.

Got an e-mail yesterday from Dyno-Jet saying they have my box, things qualify for replacement at discount I have to make a phone call in a bit (not open yet). I'll probably have the components early next week.

Throttle cable - it went poof (more like drip) too. Local place that made them is gone but I actually found the place in Kommiefornia that bought all the local place's assembly equipment. A couple of phone calls, a few discussions on how to measure, pics taken mods made. New cable arrived promptly and is completely incorrect. More calls, more measurements and correct part numbers (now that I understand the nomenclature of the number). Hoping it arrives today.

Anyhow, when I've had a chance I've chased electron highways (wires).

Don't need this (I now have five of this section - the Briggs used the same thing):

Trying to copy this (well, what's left of it) has turned out to be a bitch.

Here's what I have so far and it SHOULD work:

But of course it doesn't. It doesn't even make a click or let the smoke out or... Nada, nuttin', nope, not playing nicely. Shit.

So it's wrap up the day in the shop and bring the harness, service manual and pin removal tool up to the house and start my homework. Made copies of the wire diagram and started marking stuff off as I verified it was there. Seems like everything is in proper order.

Lots of junctions for common things such as switched power, constant power, grounds: They're little six place plugs that have a piece that slides down into them and makes contact. 11 of them to be precise... And there it is (oh how I hope)! I managed to miss sticking the contact piece into this one.

I'll be headed down to stick a connector into the plug, put the harness back in and see if I have life.

Will report back later - more than likely next year.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

5. Collapse Details
    Aaannnndd nothing!

Still no click, pop, smoke... nuttin...

Shit

2020 can go away!

Harness in semi disassembly and once again, chasing wire by wire.

Me brain and eyes hurt and I really don’t want to go to dinner tonight. I wanna hold the couch down until about 10 or so, go to bed and then be happy tomorrow is here.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

6. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    It sounds so simple, right? Positive. Negative. Twelve volts. Zero volts. Hot wire. Ground wire. How many ways can you wire this stuff? Apparently, many, many ways, depending on the number of relays, switches and resistors they throw into the mix. I think we've all spent more time than we wanted chasing a wiring gremlin.

7. Collapse Details
    Oh what a beautiful year already!

Started out with the annual RZR ride in the desert. Took a couple of friends out with us. Got in about 35 miles and started heading back.
    That's odd - brakes just went mushy. Hmmm... I know it's due for pads but mushy? I'll have to check.

About 3/4 mile (1.2km) from the exit of where we off road, I'm headed up the wash trail at mid revs and out of nowhere I hear a very quick crunch/thud and the engine goes silent. I've NEVER heard an engine go from 4ish K rpm to 0 like this. ONE crunch/thud and that was it. I found neutral and rolled as far as I could. Ended up having to winch it off of the trail so people could get by.

We walked out to the entrance and fortunately my friend with us has a friend that lives just around the corner so we got a ride back home.

Went into the garage, hopped in the pickup truck, turned the key and got pretty much the same results as the Mini-Raptor - nada. Okay, a few dim lights and the gauges flashed which is more than the Mini but still the same overall result of "You're not using me now."

Put the truck on charge (dumbass put it on 2 amp - gotta wear my glasses more). 30 min of that and the lights and dash came on more brightly but still no running truck. Shit. Getting dark. Guess it's a morning rescue.

So my January 2nd started with this view:

Dragged it to the parking area where we'd dropped the trailer and stuck it into the rolling box. I took the RZR on into a friend who has a shop. Yesterday, after a thorough going through, the brakes going mushy were the rear wheel bearing going out (fortunately on that trip). The heims in the rear suspension are toast (I have replacement in stock - yay!), front end's tweeked, brake pads are absolutely at the minimum - yeah, she's seen 8500 miles of off roading. Funny thing - when the guy looked at mileage and hours he pops up and says "Damn, you guys go twice as fast as everyone else!" - we don't beat on it either. Once they started looking at how well it's lasted, considering it's been on it's side and that I rolled it a while back, the thing's done really well. Hope to have it back in 10-12 days.
    Still don't know what happened to the engine. We'll find out when it's pulled. Got a crate motor to replace it. All signs say it's much cheaper to replace it than try to repair. Even with a big pry bar the motor doesn't turn either direction at all.

We've had stuff going on, not much shop time. I was also fortunate enough to have bdkw1, our very own MBN Wizard, show up on the door step a week ago last Monday. He'd been out west and stopped here for a few days.

Took him out riding in my favorite area. We followed the trail that leads to the power line road that ate flyerrider a few years back. Flyer's had to deal with us being relentless about his crash too. (and we'll not talk about bullnerd and his new 450L...)
    We got to the power line road and as bdk catches up to me I say "This is the area where you pay attention to the whoops - they'll eat you. In fact, I have an idea."

We now have the "Jesse" (flyerrider) pose:

Sent this pic along with "Nobody ever listens". AHHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Got him with it too!

Had a blast playing around in the dirt that afternoon. I think I fell over once? - dropped the bike maybe? bdk stayed up.

Thursday required a ride to Crown King. bdk has some friends in the area that ride so we all hooked up and took on 71 miles of round trip.

Of course I forgot to follow the "Leader stops at the intersections" because I thought the guys with us knew the route... That took a few minutes of waiting and back tracking before the five of us were reunited (oh God, old 70's song just popped into my mind!) and then got headed in the correct direction again.

First fifteen miles are fire road and then there's the CK rock - turn right. This is where it gets rough.

bdk in the flesh!

And me doing the Jesse, just for the sake of it.

Don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, but there's a rock garden that sucks. It's beside a mine and there's a quarter mile of crap. The RZRs have beaten the smaller stuff into submission but the watermelon sized rocks for about 100 yrs just plain suck. Ask TALON about it when the water's running. It was about 2" deeper than my boots are tall and it SUCKED. Wasn't nearly as bad this time.

There's one spot that's gotten worse and more challenging over just the past two years - can't tell you how much the SXSs have destroyed this trail. They've taken most of it down to bedrock and it's F'n ROUGH! Anyhow, I'd seen a video the night before we went on a line waaaay over to the right. I hit it and went right up. Time to stop and pull out the camera - I KNOW someone's not gonna make it.

10 days of riding and not a fall. Two days with me and TADA!!! The Wizard's B&B bash plate finds rock, stops bike and well - watch the video. I cut it off just "this much" too soon. "Turtle! I'm a turtle!" is what he yells. (you didn't think this wasn't gonna get published did ya B?)

We made it up to Crown King, had a great lunch and I discovered that I have a new hero/inspiration. One of the guys with us, who ran a very solid, good pace, is 76!!! I have goals! He dropped the bike a couple of times over the day (we had to help pick it up) but other than that, Jim rips.

There was one other "Lead guy waits at the intersection" incident - I was NOT leading this time, ahem bdk... We got back together after about 15 min or so. All in all it was a killer day and an ass whipping ride.

Okay, enough about the side adventures and back to the Mini-Raptor.

-----------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    It sounds so simple, right? Positive. Negative. Twelve volts. Zero volts. Hot wire. Ground wire. How many ways can you wire this stuff? Apparently, many, many ways, depending on the number of relays, switches and resistors they throw into the mix. I think we've all spent more time than we wanted chasing a wiring gremlin.
    Boy that's the truth!!!

Started out with trying to replace the burnt up throttle cable. Actually found the company in SoCal that purchased all the equipment from the place that I used to use here in Phx. Cool - I know where to get custom cables.

First cable ended up being too short (I'd taken some length out as the melted one was too long) and the inner cable was too long. The part that threads into the throttle bodies wasn't correct either. Another phone call and I have a PERFECT cable sitting on my doorstep at a deeply discounted price from the first. Dude that makes them is very easy to work with. Cable in, throttle adjusted and I'm golden there.

Had also been waiting on OEM heat shields. They're on backorder and pricy ($115 +/- depending on who). Searched eBay and came up with two for about sixty bucks. That works. I got two bottoms as they have tabs that align and they'r fairly well mirrored.

Pressed the little hump out of them (I thought they'd be in the way of rolling the edges to form around the right side header pipe) - was a bad move, it crushed the insulation stuff and let it delaminate a bit. Oh well, there's ways around it (besides Super 77 which isn't gonna hold up).

Snipped the lip off one edge, bolted the two pieces and folded the lip of the other one over the edge. Fits well, holds tightly. YES!

Here you can see some of the delimitation

I put a lip on the other side so I have a U-channel to tuck the top cover into:

And then I covered both the top and bottom shields in the magic gold reflective insulation. I figure this with more air space along with OEM heat shielding BETTER FU**NG WORK!

Cerakote, header wrap, reflective gold foil over itchy OEM fiberglass sheeting on the OEM shields. Other than forced air (have fan, not sure where/how to put it yet), what else can I do???

Still need to clean up and redress the back shield. I went ahead and pulled the high temp carbon setup off - I know that goes poof so I'm not taking the chance.

I'll be throwing a bag of marshmallows and a wire coat hanger in the Mini-Raptor with me when I get it up and running again. If it decides it's going up in smoke again, I'm gonna stand beside it and cook a bag of 'em.

Have a little bit of detail stuff to get finished up and then it's time to start chasing electron lines (wires).

Off to the shop with me! Hopefully I'll report back later tonight that the engine goes vroom, vroom.
    Last edited by K-fab; 01-14-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

8. Collapse Details
    Hey, My new 450L works just fine!

IMG_0797.jpg
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

9. Collapse Details
    Doh! I’d not seen the arm. Knew it was hurt.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

10. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    I'm going to have to start up crashing lessons to show you guys how to do it with style.

Page 233 of 239 FirstFirst ... 133 183 223 231 232 233 234 235 ... LastLast