Page 227 of 229 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227 228 229 LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,270 of 2290
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: The Mini-Raptor, K-fab Style
    Blog Entries
    Nice! I see you used the good plastic. That stuff is tough.

2. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    I can make tea

3. Collapse Details
    Great work, you are filling me with good ideas.... too bad i dont have time
    Ride it like you Stole IT!!!

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    Nice! I see you used the good plastic. That stuff is tough.
    I've had the sheet for a while - ordered off the 'net. Didn't realize I'd grabbed the good stuff until I went onto Bayer's site looking for info the other day as to melting temps and such. Yeah, this is the shit! UV resistant and no yellowing!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
    Great work, you are filling me with good ideas.... too bad i dont have time
    Glad I can help!!! I love twisting up minds when I can.

----------------

So first thing to tackle with the high temp epoxy was the muffler shield. My first attempt (using regular epoxy) came out really nicely but it popped right off of the aluminum body and it, like the rest of the stuff around the exhaust, liked to smoke after a session (must have been satisifed).

It's a nice piece... Light, stiff, good cosmetics. Bummer it's not correct.

So back to Fibreglast.com to get the correct epoxy. - High Temp (kinda wonder what "high" is? - no, not that kinda high, temp high...)

Two layers of carbon with the fiberglass veil (man that makes trimming NICE!!! - no mo fuzzies whoop whoop!) applied:

Edges trimmed, ready for the edging strip (see how nice and clean the edges are?)

On the first try, I had the high temp tape that seals the edges of the aluminized fiberglass heat shield over the carbon. I did the carbon layer then put the insulation in and then taped it in. The tape didn't like the carbon and kept wanting to peel up.

So this time I put the sealing tape on first, attaching it to the aluminum pan, which it likes to stick to. Then I ran a carbon strip around the edge of the shield, effectively trapping the tape so it can't go anywhere.

Here's the inside showing the overlap that will seal the tape:

Top side view:

Sealed up on the first try! Yay! Like I said earlier, I'm getting better each time I do this stuff.

Ready for infusion:

Infused and waiting on it to set (3:35 p.m.): (really big difference from the pic above, eh? lol)

Went down at 5:00 and it was still liquid. Went down at 7:00 and it had started to set. Closed up shop and told it to sleep well. Left it on vacuum for the night. Instructions say set time is 18 to 24 hours, gel time is supposed to be 90 min but is (like the other infusion epoxy I've used) more like 3 hours.

Went down to the shop this morning and am very pleased with the results. Two minor blemishes - both involved in the infusion process. I have a small spot under the vacuum port (I put it on a radius instead of a flat - note to self, only put on flat) and there's a little puckering along the other edge where the feeder tube was. Like I mentioned somewhere else, it's an off road truck, not an F1 car so a few blemishes (a lot? - don't look the MR over too closely...) are acceptable.

I was REALLY pleased with the way the edging came out. It sealed the tape down nicely.

So today it gets cured.

Stuck it into the K-Fab semi-autoclave and set the temp to 170F/76C (supposed to be 150F/65.5C but the oven's lowest temp is 170). It'll spend 3-4 hours there at that temp then another 3-4 @ 250F/121C with a final 4-6 hours at 375F/190C. Then I have to bring the temp down slowly, which will be interesting and probably really boring.

Gonna see what I can do about getting the three other pieces (upper and lower header shields and one in a corner bend) prepped and ready for the same fate as the muffler shield today. I'll have to do each piece on it's own so that's three more days of this stuff.

Anyone notice how much I'm avoiding the dash? It needs sanding....

5. Collapse Details
    is it just the high temp stuff that you need to do all the post curing?

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    is it just the high temp stuff that you need to do all the post curing?
    As far as I’m aware - at least with Fibreglast’s stuff.

Ive been doing a bit of research and it looks like all the high temp stuff has to go thru it - seems that some of them need to be set at temps at or exceeding operating environment temps.

The carbon can handle pretty much any heat thrown at it, it’s the epoxy that is degraded by it.

7. Collapse Details
    Interesting observation I just found on the cured carbon cap I made for the muffler. The epoxy did not adhere to the aluminum panel. The carbon cover turned out well, is fully encompassing the piece like I wanted but there's no adhesion. I'm gonna run it anyhow. Will be interesting to see what happens to it and also to the piece below - which went into the oven at 6:30 this morning.

--------------

So just like the muffler, the carbon cap on the cover that shields the ends of the headers from the world and spare tire popped right off. The tape held better on this than the muffler but it was still starting to go.

The middle header's turn down was also hitting the cover so I had to do a bit of modding with a hammer and a lot of grunting. There's now about 1/4" of clearance between the heat shield and the bottom of the aluminum cover.

Since the tape sticks so nicely to the aluminum, I made sure I got it down nice and tightly when I put the new shielding in:

Like I did on the muffler, I capped the edges with a 1" strip of carbon.

Underway last night. Like the muffler, it set up after about 4 hours and I just let it sit under vacuum until this morning. When I unwrapped it, I had a blemish, like on the muffler, where the vacuum line is but otherwise it looks like it came out well. It's cooking for the day.

The two pieces that wrap the headers (pic below from March 23 of last year - post 1799) don't have an aluminum aspect so I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to make the high temp pieces and get the aluminized insulation integrated into it. Gonna make a phone call to www.Fibreglast.com and ask a few questions.

8. Collapse Details
    Can you put the ports in a non visible location to hide the deformation?

What's it like when you open the oven after such a long cook time? Puff of smoke? Fumes?
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullnerd View Post
    Can you put the ports in a non visible location to hide the deformation?

What's it like when you open the oven after such a long cook time? Puff of smoke? Fumes?
    Yes, port location is moveable. I'm still trying to learn where the stuff will travel. One suggestion by NoFearMX was doubling up on the open weave infusion fabric - will put a bit more of a barrier between the suction port and the piece.

Just heat outta the oven, with a slight epoxy smell, no smoke.

There is an odor but it's not overwhelming Still definitely not something I'd do in the house (hence the Craigslist K-fab semi-autoclave) but it's no worse than when you do an oven clean cycle in the house.

10. Collapse Details
    I imagine the post cure is just to cook out the volatiles that would come out from the exhaust heat. and ya the carbon itself is pretty impervious to heat, I test aircraft parts, with a fire proof test on carbon at 2000F, the resins cook out for the first 1.5-2 minutes then it just clothe again.

Page 227 of 229 FirstFirst ... 127 177 217 225 226 227 228 229 LastLast