Page 219 of 220 FirstFirst ... 119 169 209 217 218 219 220 LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 2197
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: The Mini-Raptor, K-fab Style
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Thanks Jimmy! Much appreciate the compliments.

Looks like all that design work that flyerrider, JD66 and I put into the front end design and then (cheating) copying the X3 rear end is going to be a quality combo.

Power - can always use more - Just have to have a well tuned/trained right ankle to use it appropriately. Fortunately I've got a quality amount of time behind high hp stuff and know how to be smoooooooth on the fun pedal (or twist throttle).

Taking it into a shop with a chassis dyno on Monday - buddy of mine, that I met the very first time I came to AZ back in '99, has a shop and is an exceptional tuner. We should be able to get things dialed in and see what sort of hp it's making and putting to the ground.

-----------------

Once tuned, I'm really looking forward to getting out in the desert with it and start playing and shock tuning. BUT before it goes anywhere near the dirt I MUST put a spark arrestor on it. Snowmobiles don't have spark arrestors (hard to catch shit covered in frozen water on fire) so one has to be added. Just look at the grasses here right now funny and they go poof and we're just getting into summer months. I do NOT want to be responsible for causing any charcoal.

A couple of months back I set a very small one laying my KTM over after a high speed run - hot header and dry grass makes one do the MX Boot Stomp. Scared the shit outta me. Smelled something coming from under the bike, quickly flopped it over and then started dancing.
    Bad juju!

It's gonna be a bad next three to four months for fires too. The news last night reported that we presently have five (major) fires burning here in AZ.

Out of the 600+ fires last year only 10-15 were natural cause (lightning). The rest were man made; cigarettes (why in the world anyone would throw one out of a vehicle here is beyond me - f'n morons!) and trailer chains dragging are the two main causes. One guy set 26 little fires along one of the more traveled state routes up north last year with dangling/sparking chains. He made the news...

We presently have the fifth largest fire (and well on it's way to the #4 spot) in Arizona's history blazing about 40 miles (64km) from me as the (non-drunken) crow flies. Local news shows 175K acres, 7% contained this morning. We live about 10km south of the F in Carefree on the map, just to the right of the white line heading into it.

Been watching the smoke rise off of it from our back yard for the past week. It was started by a troubled car pulling off the road (catalytic converter probably ignited it) last Monday.

Here's a shot from down the road (where I go into the Tonto National Forest to ride) yesterday around 8:00 a.m. The fire's climbing up the back side of Four Peaks.

Last edited by K-fab; 06-20-2020 at 03:05 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    You going supertrapp again?

Just wait till the monsoons come next month, all those burned areas are going to have big time flash floods.

3. Collapse Details
    Very much a few beers later....

Wow!

I'm just inspired by you. I'm still almost lost for words but I will say. One more time wow!

Just amazing. This forum is a light in the dark. If one out of ten people see this post and send $5 bucks. @@@@ all out of you budget. Well maby this place wont die like so many. $5.

It's a hapless endeavor but Im at peace here. It's shed time.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    You going supertrapp again?
    Would rather not. Kinda have a bad taste in my mouth for them... Was going to start looking at how to capture a piece of stainless screen and make a weld on piece that can hold the screen. More time and effort than just getting a slip-on Super-Trapp. Dunno quite yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1
    Just wait till the monsoons come next month, all those burned areas are going to have big time flash floods.
    Yeah, have been thinking about that - it's gonna make a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Very much a few beers later....

Wow!

I'm just inspired by you. I'm still almost lost for words but I will say. One more time wow!

Just amazing. This forum is a light in the dark. If one out of ten people see this post and send $5 bucks. @@@@ all out of you budget. Well maby this place wont die like so many. $5.

It's a hapless endeavor but Im at peace here. It's shed time.
    Thanks again.

Don't worry - I'll keep this place up and running as long as I can. I've never made a penny off of it (have had a couple donations over the years) and never wanted too, hence the reason you don't see ads between every post. I HATE that shit. I've always strived to keep it as clean, neat and simple as possible - think I've done a decent job.

Breakfast and then, as you said, shed time for me as well.

5. Collapse Details
    Spark Arrestor in hand and then installed.

Wanted to use a screen type but trying to find one that fits a 2" (50mm) tube didn't happen so I ended up going with SuperTrapp. They've been around a long time, work, and have proven to be a pain in the ass for me. Stupid stover nuts on stainless fasteners always gall up even with the thread stuff they supply. Got five out of six installed and removed the allen head cap part of one.

Now that I won't cause any fires, it'll be time to go test and tune. Still worried about the temp spikes I'm seeing on the output side of the engine, right off of the head. I have to relocate my water temp pickup to the intake of the water pump so I know what temps are happening on the input side of things.

Anyhow, here's the muffler/spark arrestor work:

Supertrapp 2" sparky:

SuperTrapp body welded in place:

Installed:

It's been HOT here - hovering in the 110F (43C) range. Too hot to load up and head to the desert presently.

Gonna mess with the cooling system some more and see what I can do about the high exiting temps (maybe nothing? - research needs to be done).

SOOOooooo close to getting to go out and play with it!

6. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    So how quite is it now?

At least the stock muffler shouldn't shed.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    So how quite is it now?
    It makes minimal difference.

At least the stock muffler shouldn't shed.
    That’s the ONLY reason I went with the ST arrestor. If it was a packed muffler like a MagnaFlow, well... you know the results.

8. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    A SuperTrapp spark arrester. One more thing that I need to buy for my buggy. Thanks K-Fab. I think.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinpayne2000 View Post
    A SuperTrapp spark arrester. One more thing that I need to buy for my buggy. Thanks K-Fab. I think.
    If you have a muffler that has packing (Magna-Flow) be wary of the SuperTrapp.
    Trapp is correct as to what it does to the packing and it makes your engine go sputter, putter, put, put, cough, die.

10. Collapse Details
    Not the first time I've seen that happen. Steel wool works great. Just cheap stuff from the supermarket. It holds together better and it not heat affected.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

Page 219 of 220 FirstFirst ... 119 169 209 217 218 219 220 LastLast