Page 194 of 194 FirstFirst ... 94 144 184 192 193 194
Results 1,931 to 1,937 of 1937
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: The Mini-Raptor, K-fab Style
    Thanks for the pics. I keep looking at a KTH buggy built by lasernut. Anyone ever heard of it? The thing that intrigued me is how they have their CVs in the upper portion of the front knuckle. It’s not centered in the wheel. They obviously did this to get the most ground clearance as possible but my question is how?

som really good pics here: http://www.armada-engineering.com/ultra4/
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Collapse Details
    Portal hubs, they have their own set of issues.

3. Collapse Details
    ^Yep portal hubs. Expensive, heavy, one more piece to maintain, and one more part that can fail. They're to get additional lift, they do nothing for travel.

https://www.superatv.com/polaris-rzr...SABEgI5S_D_BwE

4. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Had to step away from the front end (lights) and move my focus to something else. Part of the beauty of this project is when I get frustrated or tired of one aspect there's a bunch of other things to tackle.

Quick side story (that many of us can relate to): Purchased a set of 430cc injectors last year on the advise of two sled performance shops (Ulmer Racing and MPI, who makes the supercharger setup) since I'm closer to sea level and have different temps than sleds play in. Got them when I got all the DynoJet stuff - auto tune, tuning box, etc..

The injectors have been sitting on the bench in the corner and a couple of months or so ago (when I started getting into the wiring) I decided they were in a place that was dirty and not the best. So I stuck them into one of the DynoJet boxes and put it....

Yeah, I'd like to know where I put it.

I have a very bad feeling that it got tossed with a bunch of other small black boxes. I have two of them left, three gone and injectors nowhere to be found. For the past two weeks I've searched with no luck. There's a Snap-On 1/4" drive floppy wrench missing also - maybe they hooked up and ran off, dunno.

Yesterday I call Ulmer Racing. "Hi, my name's Richard and I have a problem." Told the guy what was up and he says "Yes, here you go, you got them last October." He laughed at a couple of his own "I'll put this in a safe place" experiences and said that when/if I find the missing set, just send them back and he'll fully refund me. Says it's a common piece and they sell them all the time. Man I hope they show up!

-------

I had to strip the induction system off to do a bit of sensor installation.

While the intercooler was off I went ahead and made a, flat this time around, new screen to keep things from damaging the fins. Even with the first test screen taped to the cooler the fins got dinged. Too darned tender...

Intake plenum.

Left to right: Boost pressure, boost temp and atmospheric temp, which may get moved. I'm afraid it's going to read the heat soaking that will happen on the plenum.

Whole bunch of stuff going on here. The manifold has the water/oil heat exchanger line (black hose), the main water line out (blue hose on bottom) the OEM temperature sensor and the AiM temp sensor.

Oil temp sensor. Have been informed by the Wizard that I should be measuring the temp going into the engine (bottom of the sump res) instead of what's coming out (where I put it). I really wonder how much the temp changes between the top and bottom of the system once everything's up to operating temp.

Fuel pressure sensor - and once again I've been informed that I need to put a hose off the exposed barb and run it to the manifold to make regulation better. Fortunately there's a bung in the perfect spot on the plenum box that just needs to be plumbed to. 5 minute job (and now that I've said that it'll become an hour).

The AiM system is extremely expandable. There's a data port with four channels. You can plug in another data port and now you have seven (one is used) and you can keep adding to your heart's content. Each data port can take four channel expansions so one data port can talk to up to sixteen components.

I'm reading twelve "live" channels with the AiM system.

Speed sensor - going to put on rear and also have GPS so I can see how much wheel spin I have.

Oil, plenum (boost) and fuel pressures (have a brake pressure sensor that may get stuck in for grins if there's a spare channel)

Oil, water, plenum (boost) and atmospheric temperatures

Lambda for air/fuel ratio

Three infrared sensors for CVT system temps.

These are the channel expansions:

Tucked nicely up under the fuel tank in an area that will be fairly well sealed from the outside world. The stuff's all waterproof anyhow.

The three channel expansions and the Lambda sensor report back here to this hub:

This little gem is the CVT temperature monitoring system. I've taken a set of infrared tire temperature sensors and pointed them at the CVT components. Each sensor has a 35 degree field of vision.

This is a preliminary/test setup - already thinking that I need to point them more directly at the components they'll measure.

It's going to get placed here in the middle of the CVT drive train. It's probably the safest place, as when the belts let go they tend to go away, not inward. That said, if I have one fray it can get caught up and whip the shit out of anything around it.

I'm already thinking that the way they're pointing isn't going to do a lot as far as giving me quality temp info. I need to point the two horizontal sensors at the stationary sides of the clutches and getting a belt temp reading from the inside is sort of a moot measurement - really need to get the side of the belt on the contact surface.

With the 35 degree field of vision, if I put the belt sensor half way between the clutches and in line with the belt, say up against the engine, pointing outward, I could read the side of the belt fairly accurately. The distance between the top and bottom of the belt doesn't change much as the clutches do their thing.

Being that I'm not going to enclose the CVT system, just make a scatter shield, I should have a few options on where to place the IR sensors. Other than the RZRs, none of my CVT drive trains have been enclosed. I'm not in a wet environment (Hell, we NEED RAIN!) and I never had problems because stuff was exposed to the elements. Maybe a bit more wear on some of the sliding pieces but nothing that makes it necessary to enclose in my eyes.

--

LOL - just got off the phone with my friend who makes guitars for the stars and was my tenant in my shop in Ohio.
    He always gave me shit about the timeline on the Mini-Raptor. He called it "2020" saying that's the year it would be done.
    As we were chatting about it's progress I had a light bulb go on regarding the license plate. I've been trying to figure out what to put on it - has to be a vanity plate. MINIRP, MINTOR, MINRAP. Nothing that worked, though. And then it hit me: MR2020 Works perfectly, is a great inside joke and will be what I hope is available when it comes time to get it plated.

5. Collapse Details
    Going full high tech!

Love the plate idea!

I know (knew? Not sure if he still works there) a guy that works at Ernie Ball guitar strings. He coats them with some high tech coating that keeps your skin from building up on them! Yuk! He went from coating laser optics to coating guitar strings.

Anyway, This guy is a real personality and he can sing and play. When big shots come by they sit in his office and play, or is it called jam?
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

6. Collapse Details
    Just wow on so many levels. Don't stress on the "special spot". Where all done it. It's like birthdays. You do enough shit and it just happens again.
    All dressed up and waiting for the beer to arrive.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    LOL - just got off the phone with my friend who makes guitars for the stars and was my tenant in my shop in Ohio.
    He always gave me shit about the timeline on the Mini-Raptor. He called it "2020" saying that's the year it would be done.
    As we were chatting about it's progress I had a light bulb go on regarding the license plate. I've been trying to figure out what to put on it - has to be a vanity plate. MINIRP, MINTOR, MINRAP. Nothing that worked, though. And then it hit me: MR2020 Works perfectly, is a great inside joke and will be what I hope is available when it comes time to get it plated.
    Maybe shoot for 2021...or 2022...just to be safe.

Page 194 of 194 FirstFirst ... 94 144 184 192 193 194