Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    re: Rockhound IV ~ Z-434-powered woods buggy
    Dodged a bullet; opened up the clutch side and found that the shift actuator arm on the shift shaft had broken in 4 places where it moves the arm up to shift the "star" cam.

Gave it a quick welding session, put it back in place and all is well. No need to split the case and get into the transmission!

With that repaired, I rejetted the carb to where I was headed with it Friday before the race (ran out of time before i could try any more jets) and I think I have it pretty well set with a 125 and a slight float adjustment. Really woke the sucker up, revs up soooo much faster. I can actually get 3rd and 4th going around my house. Haven't pulled the plug yet, it may still want another .5 to 1. a 127.5 was too much.

shot some vid of the front and rear suspension at work, couple minutes of each.

suspension - YouTube

Really wish i had been at this stage before the race ... LOL .... Also found that i bent both tubes on the lower right a-arm back pretty well, (about 1/2 inch or so) took a massive rock hit about half way through my run. Looks like a chop and repair session is due there, along with center plating the entire top portion of the lowers.

2. Collapse Details
    Looks like a fun buggy! What engine do you have? Mine is a 250cc as well.

3. Collapse Details
    1985 Suzuki LT250EF out of a quadrunner. 4-valve head. Has a fair amount of grunt, revs to around 4,000. 1.5 year only engine, the replaced it with the 2 valve head 230 cc. Since I got the jetting right, it's a heck of a LOT more responsive, was even drifting the back end out under acceleration. Only problem is that i really don't have anywhere close to ride.

4. Collapse Details
    Sounds like a nice little engine. You sure it only revs to 4000? I can push mine to 8000+

5. Collapse Details
    Don't know for sure.
    I started with factory jetting but with k&N style filter in the open air and a HH250 muffler it took a lot of jets to get to good color on the plug. Probably has 10 hours of run time (including the last 30+ mile race) on it quite lean. Also running a 1 up heat range plug, only because that's what was in it and i bought more before i got the service manual and found that normal was a step down.

Can't find any specs on it (nothing in owner's , service or ad literature) and Suzuki media dept. struck out on digging up any info so far. This came out alongside the Trailboss and was heavier and slower, but more torque. I'm pretty sure they went to the 230 in response to the magazine comparisons of the day.

I have a knock-off of a tiny tach on it, i've probably pushed up to the mid 4 s to maybe 5000 a few times, but really don't want to grenade it since the entire back end is built around it. 230 and 250R mounts are completely different. I should send it out your way for a clean and polish session .. I ran out of dremel wire brushes half way through. Yours looks sweet--did you put an clear on it afterwards? Eastwood sells Nyalic (sp?) clear --resists yellowing from heat.

6. Collapse Details
    Annd the ... duuurrrrp! ... moment! & a little fuel for yoshi's fire

At one point, just before the trans went, I knew there was going to be front end contact if i didn't alter my line or slow down .... and I chose to go for it of course. About a 25 mph hit on one heck of a chunk of rock sticking up center right on the course.

Thankfully, the bash guards did their job for the most part. Don't think i would have gone much further had the hit been right into the a-arm. Right side always gets it the worst because my view is biased left to keep an eye on my mirror for overtakers.

Can u say banana?

Going to cut the main tubes out clean and weld new ones in. Will probably plate across both to the end with a vertical or two running lengthwise inside the plates and box the end off. If i can get the 18" floats i want, they'll mount close to the arm end and help avoid prevent a repeat by taking some of the stress off the center of the arm.

7. Collapse Details
    Added a Trail Tech Vapor into the mix. Snagged it off E-bay for 1/2 price, (arrived with box damage with first buyer) sensor kit for an RM250.

Bar clamp mounts didn't work anywhere for me, so i made a recessed mount to match my dash panel. Despite the appearance, plenty of room around the steering wheel.

Piece of sheetmetal with a double boend for the base with the diamond plate held to it with machine screws. 5/16ths bolts at the dash panel and a chunk of steel fuel line for added support.

For the speed sensor, the Roketa hub/rotor setup doesn't give anywhere decent to mount, so front wheel it was. Welded a bit of tube with a nut welded in the end to the back of a lug for the magnet and a piece of angle on the steering arm for the pickup.

P-bucket editing mode doesn't want to play nice today, so thumbnail links it is ....

8. Collapse Details
    Have you tried out the Vapor yet? If so we need a report cause I am thinking I want one.

9. Collapse Details
    not sure how i missed it. but, suspension looks good.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks Wheels, I built bass-ackwards from the recommended method (frame out instead of hubs in) and i continually find ways to improve it. given its go kart roots, i had to start at the mounts just to find out if i could build it strong enough to survive.

Gotta redo my spindles yet to get the steering arm end clear of my tire/rim so i can lose the 2-inch wheel lug style spacers i have to use to avoid the rub. That change will also tuck the lower arm end in nice and tight to the tire. got 5 inches of scrub as it is now--great for turn in effort and lousy for lower arm exposure to rocks. It'll be the same design, just a little change of tie rod heim mount angle, arm angle. going to toss in a lower axle height & different angle to pic up a little more front clearance and add some camber gain-- right now it's as close to zero change as you can get through the full travel range.

Didn't realize i never posted the repaired "banana" pic
    Still have to enhance the other lower arm to match.

Duane:
    So far i'm pretty happy with the vapor. Has a bit of lag on the tach, but i think any non-mechanical drive tachs will have that issue. been playing with the number of wraps to "steady" it --also tried pinning it with the coil terminal lead, didn't really make much of a difference lag-wise.

I ran its power feed direct wired to the battery and began having very erratic readings onoccasion. never put the recommended 5 amp inline fuse on the + side and wonder if i hurt it, or if it's jsut the fact that my battery is very weak. (age and size). when i run it just using the internal battery, everything is fine.

Speedo and distance check out accurate, shift lights work well, though i have no idea where "safe" is with this engine (i've winged it over 10000 rpm already more than a few times).
    I have to remember to glue my magnet to the post i made as i keep finding it stuck to the rim or spindle if i run through heavy brush. and haven't hooked up the temp sensor yet.
    For your new buggy, if you plan on a lot of riding and longer distances, i'd step up a level or two over the vapor.

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast