Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    re: Rockhound IV ~ Z-434-powered woods buggy
    Nothing like a test run with no brakes, or harnesses went well, will definitely have to install a set of stop/positioning bolt blocks ahead of the rear jackshaft bearings. other than those shifting and a bad crank seal (that i knew about) all went well. shifts through the gears, getting into neutral's a little balky, reverse works. Thinking i may step up from a 16T to around a 19-21 as there's a lot of upper gears that are just bogging down. right now 1st and 2nd are sweethearts. dinner calls, vid later ..

2. Collapse Details
    couple minute clip video from a 25 minute test run this afternoon.

LT250 - YouTube

the "reverse" test clip at the start i accidentally doubled in.

Smoke is from the crank seal spraying oil out--got a bit messy back there, but all is fine.

Chain runs worked with no binding or real issues except to affirm my thoughts that i need to put an adjust/locking bolt ahead of the rear jackshaft bearings. loosened up twice on me.

Thinking about going with a bigger sprocket than the 16. maybe 19 or even 21. would like it quicker.

Ran with no brakes or harnesses and throttle limited to about 3/4. front yard I could get some decent speed, by the time i was in camera view, i was already letting the engine slow me down.

Strange feeling body roll in this thing, took a bit to get used to.

brakes, electrical, bearing stops and some front end tweaks.

also needs a gasket set, oil filter and i'm thinking i should just dive right in and replace the clutches in it.

3. Collapse Details
    another test run tuesday after doing a bit of front end work (reoriented my heims 90 degrees and got rid of high misalignment spacers and hardware headaches) and adding in bearing stops/adjusters for the rear jackshaft. vid was mainly for me to get a view of how the rear suspension is reacting while turning and running over the old furrows in the back yard. wanted to make sure that nothing unusual was going on, as when the axle sheared on the swingarm it had the same feeling right before that happened in the same part of the yard as this suspension does -- As soon as i route the electrical correctly it's teardown and paint time as well as tiem to go through the engine.

LT 2 - YouTube

4. Collapse Details
    little walk around bit and couple minute ride with the gopro on the nose.

LT 1 - YouTube

got her torn down for rear end paint and clutch rebuild.

1 week countdown to race and just got the wrong tires today they're making it right though and hopefully they arrive in time otherwise i be screwed on 2-ply slicks in rock, mud, roots n ruts hell ...

5. Collapse Details
    Good luck with the race!

6. Collapse Details
    Didn't realize it had been this long! Glad to see the site is up and running again.

Anyway, race didn't work out as i had no brakes and the clutch was a mess anyway. spent hte last month working out a lot of little issues and playing with gear ratios.

Vid of some test passes. running 4.95 final on 24" tires. pretty happy with it--rear springs are still a little stiff for my liking ....

testrun6 - YouTube

7. Collapse Details
    is it just the video or is that buggy a little top heavy? a couple of those corners looked
    HAMMERHEAD 250SS
    DRAKART FRAME W/660R ENGINE
    A.S.W. CARBIDE 150

8. Collapse Details
    With the ride height i have, (got all the suspension settings jacked up to full ride height, i could drop it down about 3 inches and stiffen it up just moving the shock positions) it is a bit top heavy, a lot of roll with the irs and the seat's also about 5 inches off the floor. been mulling over eliminating the seat sliders and dropping it down about 3 inches. the lean/tricycling doesn't bother me much, i used to get that even with the swingarm and about 3 inches lower ride height.

9. Collapse Details
    Finally got to "race test" mode
    The Rockhound finished all six laps of the Line Mountain Coal Bucket race this past weekend.--little over 5 miles per lap.

This was pretty much the first definitive race test of the buggy and whether it had the ability to withstand the abuse of the course. I took it somewhat mellow at first--had to because of mud in my eyes followed by two laps of getting crop dusted by the faster atv classes that started almost a lap's time ahead of me. No tear offs, prescription glasses and a battered visor i keep up--bad idea to say the least.

Broke two of my tie rod aluminum shear bolts--first took a tree hit on the tire--not fast but solid-- then broke 1/2 lap later. I forgot to look for and reinstall the high misalignment spacers, which caused the replacement to be loose in the heim and the heim/rod loose on the steering arm. it lasted two laps. third one is presently bent pretty badly since it went in without the spacers too. (didn't realize my mistake until washing the buggy off the next day)

3rd and 4th lap i upper the pace a lot more than what's in the vid--the fastest sections in the fields were clear of riders and i was able to get 4th gear topped out and into 5th pretty well.--nearly rolled it in one corner when I shot way wide because of the shear bolt hanging up on the lower a arm.

5th lap i ran out of fuel up in the main portion of the tank and didn't have the petcock in the reserve position. from there on i was just sputtering around to the finish wondering what was going wrong with it and not wanting to stop and find out.

Next race is a lot slower and rougher, about 10 miles a lap nearly all in the woods and rock gardens. the tie rods are getting redone--ever since i had to flip my rack i've been forced into a bump steer tie rod position. going to change to a vertical heim position, use a short, thicker aluminum bolt, make the arms stronger--not that i hurt them at all-- and make "drop" clevises for the rack ends to get better alignment and kill the bump steer.

Final gear ratio will also go from 4.67 to 5.14 by putting 10T sprockets on the ends of the front jackshaft--real easy change.

I've also been eyeballing my spare front tire--it's a 4 on 4, 12" trailer tire--thinking about finding if there's a small bike knobby and putting a pair of those up front to get better roll over on the rocks, bring some of the caster back and add another inch or two of front clearance .

4th out of 4 --good for $20 bucks (2 razors and a commander)
    48th out of 78th combined atv racers.

helmet cam vid (15 min.)

guy on a bike just sitting in the dry line--wouldn't move-- i decided to hit it since i didn't know if starting from a crawl would be enough to get to the top. the resultant wash down blinded me and bogged her out pretty badly--took a full minute or two to get revs back and get up the hill.

Coal Bucket 2013 - YouTube

Spectator hill climb vid (29 seconds)
    Line Mountain Coal Bucket 07 20 2013 016 - YouTube

"Yaaay"

10. Collapse Details
    You put some hard miles in and finished! Testament to doing something right. Looks like you had fun!

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast