Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hopefull Winter Project
    Been working on some drawings the last couple days, and i finally sat down and made a 3D model. This is my first ever CAD model, and only my second buggy design. Im looking to make a single seater to blast around where i live/take down the train tracks, and hopefully hit some jumps and play in the mud in a few of the pits around here.

Little over 8ft long, by 4ft wide by 3 feet high where the seat will be (that may have to be changed im not sure.)

No suspension is done on it yet. Just the Main body. i looked at hundreds of frames and just pieced things together that i liked ^.^ It may look like a cluster of rails, but when you can actually float around the design, you can see the detail.

Far away

Bottom

Ik i need to decide what to do with the roof bracing, but im not sure what i want to do yet.

Left Side

Front

Angle

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Hopefull Winter Project
    Cant sleep so i added some detail, along the lines of what im looking to do. Nothing fancy.

underside With some detail

Steering wheel, and gauge holes, side view

Another view, pedals and such

This ones gives a better view of the shape of the sides.

Step by step ^.^

3. Collapse Details
    Looks like a decent start so far. I'm sure you will be tweaking and reinforcing things as you add suspension.

Now for the hard part. If you haven't yet it's time to study up on suspension design. Search around the site and you will find everything you need to to pull off a good handling suspension system.
    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.- Ferris Bueler

4. Collapse Details
    Nice Sketchup work! Buggy looks cool.

5. Collapse Details
    I like it too. That cow catcher should work nice on the train tracks!

6. Collapse Details
    Wow only a few days. . . that's excellent. If fab'in the curved bar work isn't a problem, its most of the basics covered.
    A lot of buggies have in incline for the front suspension mount areas, this gives some castor so it is inclided to drive straight and the suspention action is back a bit as well as up. I've been drawing some chassis on bendtech with 10 degrees incline, but a little research may give a more tech' savvy figure.
    You'll need about 4 inches clearance over you head from research I've done.
    Thanks Ironknot

7. Collapse Details
    I think it looks good. Maybe some rake on the lower front suspension mounts, and they could prolly be narrowed up a but, but for a basic shape, geep going!

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

8. Collapse Details
    i like the design... looks like a southern rock crawler!

9. Collapse Details
    Very cool, modern look. Good balance between driver space and engine space, too.

You will spend most of your time tweaking and drawing the suspension, no doubt. Not sure what kind of assembly parametrics Sketch Up has, but you'll want to find something that will allow you to "articulate" the suspension. Then tweak, tweak, tweak in 3D space without laying down a single weld or cut. Pro/E (now called Creo) and Solid Works are the sh!t for this! You can also make some DXF files for cnc plasma parts, too, saving yourself some $'s and allowing you to customize your parts.

Keep it simple, but functional, so it's not a headache-from-hell to build and weld. Use as many off-the-shelf parts as you can. Less cuts, more simple bends and solid pieces are easier to build and stronger. For the front suspension (and rear, too) you can keep the chassis' tube geometry simpler by using suspension "towers" (two piece plates) that can be cnc plasma cut to fit your design. Don't cut those kinda parts until you've got the tube chassis built, then you can make any tweaks to the cnc virtual part models as per your actual, physical chassis (sucks and costs to have to do that stuff 2x!).

Definitely keep throwing out your progress and let the pro's of pro's mark-up your geometry and help. I know how the buggy-CAD-bug strikes, and you'll find yourself still up at 2am drawing parts. I love this crap!! =)
    Last edited by DMoneyAllstar; 10-05-2012 at 08:22 AM.
    "Hello. My name is Dan and I'm addicted to buggies."

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DMoneyAllstar View Post
    you'll want to find something that will allow you to "articulate" the suspension
    If you don't have a method; I've always drawn an X directly across whichever circular point to rotate around. Then click on that group, click rotate, and well, rotate it.

By using the X instead of a singular point, it will always go to the exact plane that the object being rotated is on.

eg. this u-joint has an X so I can change the angle w/o changing the joints proper geometry

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Mackolicious; 10-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast