Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Custom buggy design+build
    Cool
    hey guys, i'm 14 and live in Preston England. I have to start my GCSE exams next year, and one of them is for tech. so i decided to build a buggy because i'm keen for cars, because i have a low budget of about 1200 give or take. And that includes transport of all the parts. So i decided to buy a buggy that was cheapish, worked and had all the parts i need and had reverse and a differential. so i managed to get a 650cc joyner buggy. (i'll take some pictures when i get the buggy)
    the guy who we bought it off is still on holiday so we can't get it yet. but whilst i've been on my summer holiday for the past 2 1/2 weeks, i've been bored so i decided to start doing a few designs on inventor. it's just a start and i haven't really thought about the engine space but until the buggy comes i won't be able to make accurate designs for the engine or suspension part. So i just focused on the frame. This first design is 40X40X3mm tube and 35X3 pipe. there are a lot of more experienced people on this website so any advice? thanks in advance

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Custom buggy design+build
    Your drawing has little actual strength and a lot of dead tubes. Triangles are your friend. Every tube should be tied into something else. Look at images of desert race vehicles like we run in Baja. Not what you're going to build, I understand, but it will give you an idea of how the tubes should be laid out. Triangulation is key to strength, as a box will flex and fold on itself under the right impact and force. Good starting point, just redesign your intersections and angles.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by SixGuns View Post
    Your drawing has little actual strength and a lot of dead tubes. Triangles are your friend. Every tube should be tied into something else. Look at images of desert race vehicles like we run in Baja. Not what you're going to build, I understand, but it will give you an idea of how the tubes should be laid out. Triangulation is key to strength, as a box will flex and fold on itself under the right impact and force. Good starting point, just redesign your intersections and angles.
    ye i understand, it's just a start, i did another one that was completed apart from the engine area but i didnt like it. This one i did quickly today. i ran a stress simulation and it can hold up but only just. i was rushing so had no time to finish.thanks for the advice as well

4. Collapse Details
    I would strip that old buggy and draw up the components that you want to use in the build, so you can build it right of the drawing. Check out a few of the builds on the site and look at there cages, also, try to use Drawn Over Mandrel Tubing (DOM) instead of run of the mill box section, its stronger and wont split if you bend it.

Simplify a bit more to man, I see your chassis is tapered at the rear and front on the lower section. If there straight, it will make life alot easier when you go to make up suspension components and fit up the drive line. A few degrees of Kick on the nose will help it perform a little nicer.

5. Collapse Details
    update: buggy that i am going to use ame on tuesday, its very dirty and has lots of rust but no where too vital. The battery on it is completely fried, i will post a picture of it soon. Because of the battery having a problem we still haven't been able to test the engine, still looking for my jump leads. The CV boot is torn and also another worry is that the fuel tank is slightly rusty but i'm thinking of replacing it with a aluminium tank. wheels and tires look good tho, same for the suspension. Now i'm fairly close to my 'budget' and because i'm only 14, the only source of income i have is a little businuess i run by modding controllers which isn't too big. And my left thumb is still barely usable due too and operation. I still have to design the frame, build it. Take apart this buggy and then get all my parts too my school. It's going to be a long build
    [/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

6. Collapse Details
    don't suppose anyone could help with the pictures either?

7. Collapse Details
    Upload them to photobucket and post the img link. much easier and works

8. Collapse Details
    okay second goat uploading the pictures.

9. Collapse Details
    problem also with the pipe from the filter to the carb' just had to put tin foil over it so nothing will block the carb whilst it's not moving

10. Collapse Details
    It looks like its not to bad, bit of a tidy up and its all sweet. Did it Run?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast