Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: shocks for mini buggy?
    Keep in mind that air shocks are WAY lighter than coil overs. I saved 77lbs switching to 2.0 airs from coil overs (mind you, the coil overs were bigger and longer than they needed to be). Also, if you get your spring rate wrong, it costs money to try again. With airs, it costs nothing.

I put about 60 miles on the new air shocks last weekend over all types of terrain, and so far I'm really impressed with the ride. Just need to add a little more pressure to get them up to proper ride height.

2. Collapse Details
    I doubt their is much weight difference if you compare to a 1.5" body coil over running 1 7/8" ID springs. If you think that sounds small, compare to the 1.25" valving piston inside a Fox 2.0 air shock. The weight difference just between using the more common 2 1/2" ID springs to the 2 1/4" springs I used on those Bilstein shocks is huge.

I don't build my stuff around shocks, I get shocks built to my suspension. Out of the probably dozen different custom builds, I have only changed the valving slightly on one and the spring rate slightly on one. Both changes were done for me free of charge by Works within their 30 day valving guarantee. Even AT Steelers now include threaded pre-load to change ride height. The reason I changed the spring rate on the one build was I did not specify I wanted 1/3 droop. Lowering the rate on the tender spring increased droop without changing ride height down behavior. I could lower the pre-load on the spring, but without sufficient spring load near full droop, the wheel will not get shoved down fast enough. Air shocks do not respond well to having a lot of droop for this reason. The spring rate drops off so fast as the wheel droops, there is not enough to overcome the huge amount of drag from the 1.25" seals. You lose usable travel because the tire won't drop down before it hits the ground again.

3. Collapse Details
    thin oil and better valving will get the air shock to drop as fast as a coil over. Air shocks have cum a long way in a couple years

4. Collapse Details
    The exponential rising spring rate means you either have no spring load at full droop or you can't set ride height low. Thinner oil means less damping. Reducing the oil volume therefore increasing the nitrogen volume will reduce the rate of increase in rate. That means you'll have less spring load at full bump. Great, they are so adjustable. Too bad every adjustment to make one thing better screws something else up. I will concede air shocks are cheaper than coil overs. I will also concede that the Fox sticker looks a hell of a lot better in your truck's rear window than the ones you get from Works.

5. Collapse Details
    tk1racing makes my air shocks he uses ATF for oil and they out perform my friends and my bilstein's all day long even after being tuned by bilstein a couple times. If Im going to do a 500 mile desert race then coil over is the way to go they wont over heat as fast as a air shock will but bang for the buck and weight you cant go wrong

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fatal-exception View Post
    Also, if you get your spring rate wrong, it costs money to try again. With airs, it costs nothing.
    So incorrect, unless you have a place that fills nitrogen tanks for free and gives out the bottle and proper air adjustment setup. That stuff cost more than one of the air shocks.

My sandrail has coils on the back and airs on the front. I have had them both tuned and the front shocks Suck in comparison to the rear. Here is a good coilover shock for the the money, are there better yes, if you want to pay more.

Don't order your springs until your build is DONE and you have your weights in hand.
    and you wont have to order extra springs. Also if your interested contact me when you have your sprocket all figured out and i'll get one cut for you from AR plate and you'll have one that lasts a really long time. they are not as cheap as aluminum though.

7. Collapse Details
    Speaking of oil, I just gor fox air 2.0 from and rear and looking to do some dampening tuning in the future. Is thee any guide out there for the type of oil and how you fill them etc?

I bought a second pressure regulator and just been filling mine with argon seems to work fine and I really like the spring rate adjustibility. I don't know what I need and may replace my motor later with something heavier, more pressure and different valving should take care of me..

So I hear AFT is an oil option?

8. Collapse Details
    look on Pirate4x4.Com - Extreme Four Wheel Drive
    this helps a lot

9. Collapse Details
    Great read..I will download that shock model spreadsheet when I get home...it sounds like you can tweak the progression curve via volume and likely the dampening a bit via oil viscocity or weight.

Sounds like plenty of options to tinker with..I like it!..

10. Collapse Details
    Then you get the holy grail of airshocks..
    Warning, chubby may follow after clicking link.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast