Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Apex Powered MiniLite (formerly GSXR powered)
    Hello All,

This is my first post, although I've been a member for about 6 months in anticipation of my first buggy build. Short story long, I took a ride in a friends GSXR 1000 powered sand car last year and decided I had to have one. I started looking at king sand cars, when I realized my true fascination has always been with baja and desert racing. I found my way to Tut's website and decided that was the car that I had to have. Small and light enough to tow with my snowmobile trailer behind my small pickup, yet built well enough to take some serious punishment (so I hope ).

I found a great deal on a 2007 GSXR 750 engine on ebay, and although I told myself "no purchasing anything until the frame shows up" I bought it anyways. It had everything I needed and fired right up (with the exception of the sneaky 100 ohm resistor in the ignition switch). I spent the weekend building a nice engine stand and getting the fuel pump and wiring all lined up. Due to popular request, it seems important that I start at the beginning, so I suppose this is truly the beginning of my buggy build. With some luck, Tut's frame will show up at the end of April and then the "buggy savings account" get emptied in a big hurry

Here's a link to the youtube video of the enigne. Enjoy!!
    -Spencer

2007 gsxr 750 startup - YouTube
    Last edited by skreikem; 03-05-2014 at 01:07 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: GSXR Powered MiniLite
    Way cool...I'm at the exact stage you are, waiting for a frame, collecting parts, and already have a running motor...I'll be following this one for sure. Where are you from, may I ask?

3. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    Real cool vid and great first post. Your nod at the end of the vid is hilarious. Man the cash is gona go fast now. LOL
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NoClue View Post
    Way cool...I'm at the exact stage you are, waiting for a frame, collecting parts, and already have a running motor...I'll be following this one for sure. Where are you from, may I ask?
    NoClue,
    I'm from Bozeman, MT.

5. Collapse Details
    Hey, use to live in Great Falls, Mt. Motor sounds pretty sweet.
    Best of luck!
    snoopy

6. Collapse Details
    What MiniLite frame are you getting? Single or 2 seater? And what options? Race frame? DOM? Chromolly? Suspension package?

7. Collapse Details
    It'll be a DOM 2 seat, race frame, DOM suspension as well. I'm hoping to race it in the BITD Vegas to reno in the sportsman's buggy class. Are you getting a frame from Tut as well NoClue?

8. Collapse Details
    Very Nice!!!!!! and you wont go wrong with TUT chassis!!! That is the route i WOuld have gone if i hadnt started my own. Price is very resonable almost a steal for what you get. and they are race tested CONGRATS and Good Luck!!!!

9. Collapse Details
    There was an old movie and whenever the guy told someone to do something at the end he would do that nod.. like that is all.. as in it is good.. or that will do.. type nod.. funny

Well sounds good and I am glad I can build you a frame and get you started.
    You will have a ton still to do and yes sorry to say it drain your account and more like 10% more then you think it will take is usually they way it goes.

After racing my 600cc engine I think your 750 will do good to great actually. If you race sportsman you may be a bit under powered by the Ecotec guys etc. but when your all done compare your buggy and its time etc. and speeds to a Rzr or other Utv as your closer to their class and see how you do?
    Heck talk to Bitd and see if you can run in an unlimited Utv class if they will allow it?? Maybe not but worth asking right?

Well on my end your Dom arrived this week along with your heims, jam nuts, front spindles, some tabs and bushings. I am finishing a car this weekend.. Off next out of town for my buddies Bachelor party and then so begins the build on your car.
    I should wrap up your frame middle to hopefully beginning of April actually.. We can email and talk etc. I have had real good luck with a shipping company so contact me for their info if you want it shipped..
    Here is his email contact so others may want to use him.. but he has shipped a couple of my frames and knows the deal.
    "Jerry Michael" <jmf@bfsservices.com>

From you to me he can ship it cheaper then you can pay for the gas to come here and back to get it.. he gets that good of deals so I have been told.

Well not much to post yet.. but congrats on the engine.. Seriously my 600cc is awesome.. you will want more power soon I know trust me.. but I love mine.
    Power to weight is amazing.. the rpms are through the roof.. and I couldn't even use 6th gear at the last race.. Just to short and technical I mostly used only 2nd..
    But Vegas to Reno you will be able to open yours up.. wow.. Even gearing it down to make more torque to power the 2 seat and 2 people you should hit 80mph easy enough.. But your zero to 80mph will smoke a Utv.. did you see the start of my last race? I can pull a Utv hard and leave them behind with just a 600cc.
    So being able to slow for rocks, washes etc. and then get back up to speed so fast is amazing and will help you win a race for sure.

I am totally happy with my engine and I don't want to upgrade to a bigger engine at all just do to power to weight ratio of my buggy I don't think I ever will be as my car puts me in my seat every time I shift. Plus bigger brakes things.. and I am very fast and once I am dialed in the only thing that is going to catch me (I hope ) is another buggy at this point.
    You with a 750 the only thing I think that may challenge you is that new 900cc rzr.. but that is a maybe at that.
    I Know you will be happy.. but you said you have been in a 1000cc so ya you might want more engine one day. Get used to this one and how the car handles and does and then move up to another later if you want or need.

Well cool I will post some updates soon in here for you. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your Mini Lite. (when you get it )

10. Collapse Details
    Tut,

Definitely watched your videos, looks like a great running machine, and a total kick to drive! Racing in the BITD UTV class would be awesome (if possible) but I thought I read somewhere that it has to have a serial number from a UTV OEM on it somewhere... Could be wrong though.

Super excited to see yours run though and also excited to see the UTV rally raid frame get finished up as well. Looks like he has a running head start with parts, engine etc.

Thank you for the contact info for the shipping, I will see what the cost is. I ran a UTV from montana to salt lake for a co-worker from Vegas, so he owes me a trip up the other way. I'm hoping I can work with you or the shipping guy to get it to vegas, and then he can bring it to Salt Lake, and I can meet him. Costs me $150 round trip from Bozeman to Salt Lake City, so it'll cost me that plus whatever it takes to get the frame to vegas. Just details to work out later

Thanks, and assuming you survive the bachelor party, I'm looking forward to updates as the roll in!

Page 1 of 78 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast