Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New here.. My Desert buggy Build
    Hi everyone. I am 21yrs old and new to this site and just thought I would try and get help and any words of wisdom from you great builders out there regarding my build. I have started a temporary build after a while of designing and figuring out dimensions and how I want everything to look. I have been practicing welding the last few months before i started since i am fairly new, hopefully I can keep this as the main build and not have to start over. Id appreciate any opinions. I havent got a chance to clean off the welds but let me know what you think of it so far. I havent finished the braces or the rest of the roll cage ect and also haven't finished the rear base yet for the engine area. I plan to have it go back 2ft and eventually want to have enough room for a 600 gxsr engine. I am using 1 1/4" 14g pipe.

I probly missed a couple things but here is a couple pictures of it so far.. Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated...Thanks everyone
    Last edited by Vendetta20; 01-20-2012 at 10:36 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: New here.. My Desert buggy Build
    good start on the frame what welding process are u using looks like flux core

3. Collapse Details
    Protodie Master and Vendor ProtoDie's Avatar
    welcome to MBN
    you found the right place to share your build

proper steering, suspension, and drivetrain will be the biggest challenge of your build.
    Many build or buy a cool looking rollcage without having the suspension worked out,,,,,,,which can lead to big headaches later and performance loss and compromises in suspension and shock mounting locations.

what specs,,,width, length, travel are you shooting for?

4. Collapse Details
    Thank you both for the welcome and advise. Yes I am using a flux core welder.

I wanted to have my own design and I got the idea for this build by looking at other awesome buggies, such as tuts and extreme baja karts. As of now I plan to have the buggy just under 9ft long and 60" wide and I'm not really sure about the travel just yet, maybe someone could help point me in the right direction.. Thanks again for the help!

5. Collapse Details
    Are u planning on having reverse if so pick your gearbox now and build around it alot easier than modifying later. Happy building. Beware its very addictive.

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the concern. I don't plan on having reverse on this one. A little too costly for that..it would be nice though. Ill be working on the frame more on monday and I will post more pictures as it comes along.

7. Collapse Details
    welcome to mbn, it's great to see young builders getting in on the action. nice start and good luck

8. Collapse Details
    welcome vendetta, it looks like you have a good start on your build. As you proceed with it take your time and have plenty of patience,it alot easier to "measure twice and cut once", the first time than to ass it up totally and have to re-do it. There's alot of knowledge on this website that can guide you through your build just like it helped me with mine.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks a lot. I will definitely do that.. With that in mind i was actually planning on redoing the second layer of the frame because i ran into a couple problems and would rather have it perfect if im going to spend so much money on this. I just have a small budget on this because of my bills.. but i do want to learn and have this great hobby. The problem i've been having is not having a tube notcher, since they are pretty expensive and i dont know how good the cheaper ones work and if it should be okay for the project im doing. I have just been doing the notching with my grinder, which ends up being pretty tough to get a perfect weld in the end. Also I bought a 12ton pipe bender from HF and it ended up crimping the pipe really bad.. I plan to buy some more steel pipe and maybe a decent notcher tomorrow and work on it some more. I would really appreciate any input on this. Thanks a lot!

10. Collapse Details
    Hey mate ive made half a dozen buggies now and ive only ever used a grinder with a 1.6mm cutting wheel to get a rough shape and then finish with a half round and round file.
    If your on a budget, spend some money elsewhere, and dont shortchange yourself the FULL experience of buggy building.

Spend the money on some gas for the MIG if you have to spend some money, welds so much easier and better than the flux cored wire alone. Ive found flux cored to come out rather brittle and sorta dry.

anyway just my 5cents worth. Your doing a great job!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast