Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    2 Seat Mini Lite's Race Car (Full Body Done)
    This was going to be for my wife Pepper but looks like it is going out to a customer first. This will be the new 2 seat Mini Lites race car.
    It is the Race frame and parts suspension package.

I am just working on it and will not be able to do to much again for a few days as I was mostly setting up the fixture table and getting ready to build it as I wait for the suspension parts to arrive for the other cars.

But just wanted to post some pics and show some progress and the work I've done so far.
    Plus I think it is turning out pretty cool and I am excited about building it.

As always thanks for looking

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Mini Lites 2 Seat Race Car
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Coos Bay, 10 miles from the OREGON DUNES!
    Makes me want to start building my new chassis... too back just mating the 4wd gear box is giving me lots of crap

3. Collapse Details
    Re: Mini Lites 2 Seat Race Car
    What? New frame.. you barely had your car a season.. right? I thought it was pretty cool.. using the front wheel drive set up etc.. that is awesome.
    A new one already.. Ya that's how I am but this was supposed to be the start of Peppers car for next year. I will just have to build her one later.

4wd?? case? Am I missing something? Ok going to have to go check on your thread again as I am missing something.. ha ha..

4. Collapse Details
    Re: 2 Seat Mini Lite's Race Car
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Yes, we use a 2wd RAV4 box right now so we'll be using a 4x4 rav4 box in the next car. I'll use a v drive setup to send the tail shaft to the front. But rav4 box isn't attached to a v6 so I have some clearance issues I'm working out, enter plasma and lots of grinding.
    I have to build the drive box etc. Before I can even begin the frame as the backbone will house the front drive shaft.
    I live to build , always have to have something in the fire.
    This will be my wife's ride, complete with winch and tow strap lol.

Your jig table gives me a couple of ideas for my build table.

5. Collapse Details
    Wow I can't wait to see this.. The 4 wheel drive buggies are usually very light weight.. small and your sounds a bit stronger.. and after seeing your car I am guessing a bit bigger then a mini.. sounds great. I look forward to seeing it. Plus with your shop and all your tools I always look forward to seeing how you overcome each challange that comes up... very cool.

Glad my table was able to give you some ideas on your own.
    Sounds good and I look forward to seeing your new build.

6. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Definitely going to be a midi, 84 x 114 overall. Mom/daughter's ride, on-call to flip dad back over.
    With a more efficient design to save weight it still might end up at 2400lbs, the stuff needed to do 4x4 adds up. T-case, probable 30lbs, diff about 20, driveshaft 15lbs, axles and CVs another 20, larger driven hubs +10... so at least 100-150lbs but nothing will be light duty for the front end so it'll will be capable of good size dez/rock running tires. I have some trails in eastern oregon on a relative's ranch in mind for this car.
    Anyhow I'll be watching this thread for more ideas Someday I'd like to build some frames on the side, my SXS+ 4x4 could be my foot in the door.
    Last edited by JGSturbo; 05-16-2011 at 09:49 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Frame is really coming a long.
    The main structure is done and I am adding in webbing and the racer bars and supports as this will be a race car.

Here is an updated pic.

I was able to also build a pair of rear arms as I had the fixture table set up for the single seater I just built two of each sides and then mounted them up on both cars.
    Here they are side by side.. which shows you the size difference.
    It seems like a lot but at only 12 inches wider in the cab, it's 50 wide inside of cab, I don't think it's to crazy for a two seater.

If you run exactly the same parts as the single seater you will be just at 80 inches wide to outside of the tires.
    So really only 8 inches wider then the single seater that is 72 inches wide in the rear to the outside of the tires.

Here is a quick pic of some of the welds I did that turned out really good I think.

Well next is to finish the front suspension on the other single seater and then design and build the new wider front end on this two seater.
    Last edited by TutTech; 05-29-2011 at 07:31 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    Nice weld, long passes or shorter moves?
    My 1020 DOM is never a smooth finish, either the bright silver annealed or greasy finish .
    Looking good.
    I wish I had space to tie-up starting on my next chassis
    Killing me to look at the engine and trans collecting dust... soon my precious

9. Collapse Details
    I do one continous weld not stopping. I don't do start and stop welding or stitching etc..
    I just start and make small circles and keep going as far as I can for as long as I can.
    Once I start I try not to stop until I finish as far around a tube as I can go.. I try to do a bar in two passes. I put my tachs usually under each side of the tube. Then weld from 1 tac to the other. Then switch and do the inside of the bar again from that tac back to the other.
    At least that is what I try to do.

It's nice that these gbuggies are so small that I can fit them all in my shop. Have to love minis.
    Even with the little bigger two seater I can fit 3 cars in and my fixture table set up to go. Nice.
    Not saying it wouldn't be great to get that bigger shop built one day but just can't afford it right now.. but one day..

Thanks and good luck on your next project.

10. Collapse Details
    Bend-Tech Dragon Master
    You definitely have a good weaving pattern going, C02 or argon or a mix?
    Next time I'll spend mor time making each weld look pretty, might need to switch gas. C02 makes a good hot weld but also more spatter I'm told.
    Only problem I've had with long passes and just 2 tacks is PULLING, All the heat on one side puts more pull on one side. I have more luck with 4 cornering but then again I don't fit my tubes super tight.
    I purposely leave a 1/16 because I feel the penetration is better.
    Last edited by JGSturbo; 05-30-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast