Thread: 4x4 St3

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    updated ST3 4x4
    well i got my transfercase and stripped the ST2 and orderd my drive sprocket to yoke adapter. when that shows up will build drive shaft from motor to transfer case. Then i can start to fab frame once i get dimensions all figured out found SUbaru LSD rears with 4.44 gears for front and rear this should be good for mudding and crawling. (i dont have much sand to play in in Maine). only issue i have so far is the lenght of the subie rears 22" long from flange to cover. would like to find shorter light weight one but havent found any with LSD plus the subaru is the same dimensions top to bottom no matter how you turn it so i can flip it for the front drive. any other thoughts????? Plus i want to keep this around 60" wide
    Last edited by chrisMX-15; 06-20-2011 at 05:34 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: 4x4 St3
    Millenium Member
    That sounds like you have it all figured out. I would like to follow your build so please take lots of pictures and show everything you can so that others might follow along too.

3. Collapse Details
    I would love to see pics as well, I did a bit of looking, it appears a nissan truck from the early 80's has a 180mm ring gear that is reverse cut for the front diff and will fit in many 280z style differentials, I havn't seen this first hand but from what I can read it should work.............

4. Collapse Details
    well if you look at a subie diff it is almost exactly the same top to bottom or ring gears etc are centered. so upside down or right side up oiling wont be an issue. the only thing idont like is it is 22" freaking long from input flange to cover. which make for no room in engine bay. so by time you connect motor to transfer then transfer to diff will be almost 36" behind seat. trying not to lenghten chasis too much. But may have found solution!!!! Onc i get my diff i will know if it is feasable to bolt transfer to rear diff with a short stub universale of some type from motor to transfer that should shorten everything up by alot. I measured my ST2 and i could gain about 6" by moving seat and pedals ahead but then have to shorten steering wheel and move dash ahead some Not a big deal. Gearing will also be a concern motor is high HP, low tork. but with i think 4.1 reduction from transfer case. and subie diff come with anywhere from 3.50 gearing to 4.44(which is what im looking for) im hoping to still have good top end 60+mph and still good low end tork for crawling and mudding. but axel gearing not sure 4.44 may be too low i may end up with something that goes 10MPH but will climb a tree, tire size will be 27" ATV tires and wheels, Well any and all help much appreciated!!!!

5. Collapse Details
    Also about the revese cut gears. Alot of guys runing rock crawlers flip diff with out problems ,all thought they are not running high speeds(may be diff story then) so even though i would be running on coast side of gears dont for see any issues. And come on its a subie drive train after all. have i mentioned the length its 22" long guess it kind of bothers me. I have found others but are more money and heavyier, and not as easy to come buy. i have a subie slavag yard near by and can pick them up for 100 each. I did look at a print of the subie diff and may be possible to have a machine shop cut as much off the front they can weld up housing and custom make a pinion shaft for it it has 2 mounting holes on the neck and could cut out all the middle and weld flange end back on infront of the back mounting holes that would be sweet. That s my goal!!!
    Last edited by chrisMX-15; 03-07-2011 at 01:42 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisMX-15 View Post
    Also about the revese cut gears. Alot of guys runing rock crawlers flip diff with out problems ,all thought they are not running high speeds(may be diff story then) so even though i would be running on coast side of gears dont for see any issues. And come on its a subie drive train after all. have i mentioned the length its 22" long guess it kind of bothers me. I have found others but are more money and heavyier, and not as easy to come buy. i have a subie slavag yard near by and can pick them up for 100 each. I did look at a print of the subie diff and may be possible to have a machine shop cut as much off the front they can weld up housing and custom make a pinion shaft for it it has 2 mounting holes on the neck and could cut out all the middle and weld flange end back on infront of the back mounting holes that would be sweet. That s my goal!!!
    Will you be using the axles, spindles etc from the subaru as well?
    I also didn't catch what transfer case you are using?
    cdog.

7. Collapse Details
    yes i wil be using modified subie spindles and axles with discs brakes on all corners the transfer is out of a 88.5 samurai, all heim joint connections havent dicided if i want a arm rear yet but will figure that out also. have planed on building a engine and transfer cage that can be removed (unbolted)from buggy for repairs or what ever. the engine and transfer will be bolted in the cage then to the buggy. this idea came from when pulled motor out of ST2 chasis that is all welded, that is a pain in the butt. Hope fully this week will get tube for main rails do people have a prefferance to square stock or round for this? i think the square wold be easier for all the brackets to be attached and can weld nuts to them for things like seats etc. plus i am planing on fiberglassing an inclosed tub for it with seals around cables and wirelooms etc. to keep most of the water and mud out. I have built many cars and lifted show trucks but some how i am hooked on this. Im even going to take a 2 week vac from work once i get the planing phase done to build most of the chasis.The only issue i have at moment that is slowing me down is the subie dealer that has all the parts hasnt plowed out to the slavage yard out back and i dont think i feel up to shoveling ice and snow to get to them. But all knuckles etc are in storage so i shoul have those this week also, and if i can get him to sell me a rear diff for mock up then swap it back for a LSD unit then that wont slow me at all. Does any one have a wiring diagram for a CBR 600 not sure of year but i know it is the first model that came out not an f2,3,4

8. Collapse Details
    Have you seen the build here that puts chain and sprockets on the low gears of a sami tcase for reverse?
    That is one fine idea!
    I can't wait to see this unfold, good luck!

9. Collapse Details
    yes that is where i got the idea i read the guys whole build pretty impressive. Day off tomorrow so i will be getting some steel and finding a shop to do that to my transfer. That guy ran his transfer in front of the motorbihind the seat i want to run it behind so some changes will need to be figured out. But im starting this thing this week or bust

10. Collapse Details
    Started 4x4 ST3
    got pics of build start on
    Last edited by chrisMX-15; 03-10-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast