Thread: 4x4 St3

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: 4x4 St3
    Thanks diesel for the idea on S10 front end i picked up an alum one for free from buddy of mine havent pulled it apart yet, will this weekend. It will save me another 8" over the subi rear. only thing is its not LSD. I can pick up lockers for it or leave it open and run a LSD front should go great either way. most 4 wheelers including truck are open diff and they go good. I got my main chasis mostly welded up and seat braces tacked in. My sproket to yoke adapter is in that goes on sat then i can get measurement s for shaft to transfer and mock up engine bay hopefull next week. also picking up tubing for cage and front end friday.

2. Collapse Details
    Wheels picked out

http://

3. Collapse Details
    No problem man, I've been looking for diffs for a year or so and that seems to be a good size, light, little, strong enough and CHEAP, lol. I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but after I shorten the long side I plan on rebuilding the axle disconnect mechanism to work differently so that the flange can be very close to the housing and still work. Then I will just weld the spider gears in the diff and "lock" and "unlock" the front diff with the axle diconnect. It won't really act like an open diff as it will always only send power to the side that isn't disconnected when unlocked instead of which ever one is getting the least amount of traction, lol, but i think it will work just like a free selectable locker.

Also, I don't know what your planning for axles, but the 100mm '88 VW Golf GTI shaft look like they can be made to work easily on the S10 flange. The S10 flange will only need about a 1/16" machined out on the recessed inner circle on the flange to index the VW CV, then it will just need to be drilled and tapped to the VW CV pattern, just something to think about. Oh and I believe those axle shafts come in 2 differnt lengths from one side to the other so you can chose a narrower or wider track width. Those CV's are under $50 a side at O'reillys. Just some more to consider.

4. Collapse Details
    thats cool i havent looked inside the housing yet and not sure until then how it operates i know a yj axle is justa fork and coupling that slides over the outer axle to lock in asuming the S10 is the same? as far as axles i am going to run subi knuckles and disc brakes all around and use their axles too but will have to change the inner to a flange to fit housing but that will all come in time but thanks for the info on things helps alot

5. Collapse Details
    Ford Merkur diff. Might be of use? Its not that heavy.

I plan on using this one in the back of a mini-ish sand rail with a front mounted engine like a small Sand Rocket kind of car.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

6. Collapse Details
    according to your tape its only 2" shorter than the subi and the subi's are plentiful and LSD. and light weight and durably proven (is that a word). i will have to put up a pic of teh S10 diff its also alum and is 8" shorter than the subi but its open and requires more work to set up. But that is what is so exciting about building buggies. I love the researching and figuring out problems that come up. Thanks to all who have helped with ideas like yours.

7. Collapse Details
    Plus if i ran a front mounted engine then it would solve all my dimension dilemma's engine to transfercase to front diff and to rear diff

8. Collapse Details
    i did sneak under a ford escape yesterday to check out thier diff appears to be a good canidate but again not many in salvage yards. alot of irs vehicles out there that may work but still new and not alot around for reasonable price.

9. Collapse Details
    I am familer with Subees (been in our family for over 20 years) and know the rear ends good enough. Small is thier best feature. Even though they are long.

But if you want reallly long (I know you don't...But) Here is another option.

The Audi Quattro rear diff with locking feature. The locking mechanism on this one is vacuum operated but they used to be cable operated in the cars at one time. Anything will work to move the lever and its open on way and locked the other. Not sure if they had a LSD option on this but they may have.

But boy are these suckers LONG! You can take the extra part ofthe snoot off it and shortend it a lot and its not that hard. Poeple have done this before to use this diff in other things.

Best thing about the Audi diff here and the Merker diff above is they use German CV flanges on them already. Likey not the size you need but its still easy to adapt over if you need larger flanges.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

10. Collapse Details
    Not all subees are LSD either in case you were not aware.

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast