Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My first buggy build!
    Hi All,

This is my first buggy build, it's based on the Piranha, David's (daboots) custom buggy and a bunch of others I've viewed on this and other sites. I've been lurking for some time and have to say the information found here is incredible. I don't know of a question that's gone unanswered!

I decided to build my buggy no more than 52" wide and approximately 96" long, as the trails in my area (Nova Scotia) are mainly ATV specific and fire roads; no sand dunes anywhere! It's going to have a double wishbone suspension, IRS, but I haven't decided on the motor yet. I'd like something with reverse, but it isn't absolutely necessary. I also want one 300cc or higher.

Here's where I'm at so far. I've built the front portion of the lower and upper frame with 1.25" square tubing, .120" wall thickness. The bracing (triangulation) is 1" square tubing with a wall thickness of .095".

Pics:

The vertical brace in the middle will be attached to the roll cage.

Checking from corner to corner to make sure it's square ... I may be off 1/16" ...

I discovered that the spindles from a Honda TRX 250R have a bolt on steering arm, which is great for setting ackerman. I may go with this and use hubs, rotors and calipers from the same.

The cockpit measures 24" by 48" and the front end is 13 1/4". Next up is the roll cage, followed by the a-arms and front end geometry.

Thanks for looking!

2. Collapse Details
    Re: My first buggy build!
    Looks good. Very good workmanship .Nice tight joints. Keep the photos coming. What engine are you going to be using?
    DW

3. Collapse Details
    Nice work and great loking mitres.

Perfect candidate for a snowmobile engine and CVT!

4. Collapse Details
    Sorry... I did forget about those measurements for you

Looks like you're off to a great start though. An older Honda ATV engine with built in reverse would be a great option for that buggy. I have a 200cc from an 84 TRX that I'm putting in my wife's Trax2. It has high/low range as well as reverse. I think they made them in 350cc, not sure though.

Good luck with the build.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLW View Post
    Looks good. Very good workmanship .Nice tight joints. Keep the photos coming. What engine are you going to be using?
    DW
    I really don't know at this point, it depends on what comes up in the next few weeks on kijjii (Canadian version of Craigslist) and my visits to the local small engine shops. I'm thinking a quad, 300cc or higher at the very least, reverse would be a bonus. It would be nice to find a quad I could tear down at a good price. We'll see ...

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by daaboots View Post
    Sorry... I did forget about those measurements for you

Looks like you're off to a great start though. An older Honda ATV engine with built in reverse would be a great option for that buggy. I have a 200cc from an 84 TRX that I'm putting in my wife's Trax2. It has high/low range as well as reverse. I think they made them in 350cc, not sure though.

Good luck with the build.
    No worries, Dave! Your comments on the 250cc and how well it's working for you are interesting. I didn't think it would be strong enough. So I'm going to keep my eye out for such as well, given my plan is to build a buggy similar in size to yours.

Did you use round tube or pipe? I started my a-arms tonight and I'm using 1" OD tube, .120 ID, the stuff ain't cheap!

I'm going to go with front disc brakes as well, given the comments from a lot of folks here about how much of a difference they make.

7. Collapse Details
    I think I used tube for everything.

8. Collapse Details
    Nice work. have you installed a seat and checked for room?

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by nutnbolt2002 View Post
    Nice work. have you installed a seat and checked for room?
    I did. The rear supports are angled at 17 degrees, the same as the seat I ordered from Jegs. I also mocked up the seat height. My knees were comfortably bent and arms at a 90 degree angle when holding the wheel. The top frame is wider than the bottom by about five inches. And I've only tack welded everything so far in case I need to make adjustments.

10. Collapse Details
    looks good

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast