Thread: Air Shocks

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Air Shocks
    Hi Guys,

Ok so here is my question. Can car "air" shocks be used effectively for a buggy. I bought some coil over shocks and they are too soft, but i don't have the money for FOX air shocks. So would some car air shocks work? Something like the MonroeMatic Max Air shocks? They are "air" shocks just like the FOX shocks, and are adjustable, and a hell of alot cheaper. Will they work. What my plan is, is to just use the 4 shocks i already have and double them up on back and then use a set of car air shocks for the front.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Air Shocks
    If you check out "new updates on an old build" you will find a discussion on that subject, you will find it very helpful in making your decision. IMO I would wait and buy a set of Fox, suspension is one of the key features of your buggy

3. Collapse Details
    Use real fox air shocks. It is worth it. Keep an eye on Ebay. You can pick up used basic Fox Floats for pretty cheap. They can definitely be used on a buggy. I've seen them on buggies as heavy as 800lbs. The one below weighs 700 with driver and they have never failed.

4. Collapse Details
    There is a guy that has used(used not used) ford explorer rear air shock and was happy with them.He is in canada and there is a supplier of brand new shocks there for a good price.I believe the shocks are on ebay as well.I will try to find a link to the build thread.

His screen name is DaveM,he is a member here but has not posted anything.You can find more info on his buggy on the pilot web site.Its a very cool setup and the guy is very creative.

Heres a vid,you can see the rear shocks.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Rotaxbuggy
    Last edited by Bullnerd; 01-05-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ringgo1star View Post
    They are "air" shocks just like the FOX shocks, and are adjustable, and a hell of alot cheaper.
    Just to clarify, those kind of automotive air shocks are not just like FOX shocks. They are not designed to replace the metal springs on the car, they just assist them by allowing additional adjustment for heavier loads. Some people have used them and could not get them to work well at all. Others have had some success. The usual issue is they end up being too soft, because the air chamber is very large and once the max pressure is reached (which is not nearly as high as the Fox shocks) you are out of adjustment. The best way to get them to have a chance of working is if they are mounted as close to the wheel as possible for the lowest leverage ratio, which can be hard to do on a front suspension. I would also recommend to save up a little more cash for used or new Fox shocks, and do things the right way to start with.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by minibajaman View Post
    Just to clarify, those kind of automotive air shocks are not just like FOX shocks. They are not designed to replace the metal springs on the car, they just assist them by allowing additional adjustment for heavier loads. Some people have used them and could not get them to work well at all. Others have had some success. The usual issue is they end up being too soft, because the air chamber is very large and once the max pressure is reached (which is not nearly as high as the Fox shocks) you are out of adjustment. The best way to get them to have a chance of working is if they are mounted as close to the wheel as possible for the lowest leverage ratio, which can be hard to do on a front suspension. I would also recommend to save up a little more cash for used or new Fox shocks, and do things the right way to start with.
    well my bad. I just figured that since they used AIR as the shock that they were basically the same. I suppose i was wrong though. My buggy isn't very big and i only plan on using them on the front. So if i was to put a set on and they ended up being stiff enough to handle the front end load then they would work right? The shocks i am using right now are from dansperformanceparts.com, part number 01-00-9570-8. Way too soft.

7. Collapse Details
    I am a dealer for Fox in Canada, let me know what you need. I will be offering a group discount for the members of MBN next week as I launch my site. The pricing here is very comparable to the US as I have eliminated the cross border reaming.

8. Collapse Details
    I need some european dealer of fox shocks because if i buy from US all aditional cost's make more than 300$ for one piece even 350$ . Also i have question about fox air shocks 2.0 , its possible to use this in my projekt https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...ar-engine.html

Estiminated weight about 600kg (1300lb) Fully loaded can go up to 900 kg (2000lb)
    Last edited by Mr_Piona; 01-06-2011 at 03:30 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtreaper View Post
    I am a dealer for Fox in Canada, let me know what you need. I will be offering a group discount for the members of MBN next week as I launch my site. The pricing here is very comparable to the US as I have eliminated the cross border reaming.
    The shocks i have mounted on the buggy right now are 16 1/2 inches eye-eye. Thats what i need to put on there. How much for 2? I am going to keep the shocks i have now and use them as doubles on the back.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ringgo1star View Post
    The shocks i have mounted on the buggy right now are 16 1/2 inches eye-eye. Thats what i need to put on there. How much for 2? I am going to keep the shocks i have now and use them as doubles on the back.
    Just an FYI thats the same size shock the Yamaha rhino has. and those stock take off can be had cheap.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast