Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Amer's ST4 build
    After looking over the ST4 plans when they were first released, I decided to build one. Took my time gathering parts then set about cleaning out the garage for the build. It's amazing how much junk one can collect over time.

Since this is a one off build and I really don't do much welding I decided to just build a wood table. It works, but I miss 4x8 metal top build table I used to have. The wood tends to get a little burnt when welding too close.

The ST4 plans are easy to read for most part. One thing missing are cut lengths including the bend radius. No big but it is nice to see when included. Measurements for tubes that require coping are given from the top side of the cope rather than the inside center. Does that make sense? Really minor issues that I've seen done differently in other plans. All in all the plans are well thought out, sectionalized into major areas and easier to read. They include a full materials list for steel, all major purchased parts and fasteners. The CAD drawings where included along with several renderings for weldment, front and rear suspension, frame and overall assembly.

Ordered steel from California metals, total cost was $450 delivered. Did not order a lot of the shaft material as I will be using a 930 driveline.

Ordered all the cut plate from GK Machine. Those guys a great and the pricing can't be better. Again, a lot of the plate work was left out since I will be using brake rotors, hubs and other off the shelf parts. Total cost from GK Machine was $571 shipped, including materials. Took three weeks for the order to be filled. A local water jet shop wanted $1300 and I had to pick it up. You go GK Machine... Thanks for the find Gene.

Worked with Protodie for the rear drive, he was very helpful. Ended up ordering front and rear hubs plus his 930 drive. The only problem was the weld in bearing carriers are larger then what the plans call for. Easy fix was to bore out the plates so I dusted off the mini mill and went to town. That does leave four holes where the plans call for bolt in flanged bearings. One thing about Protodie front hubs is the stubs are too short. I'm sure Protodie can make them any size but I ended up ordering some from Northern Tool. Also the Dynapro brakes will not fit the plans design and Protodie uses a smaller brake rotor. The brake mount will be cut off and I'll make one to fit, easy fix. If anyone plans to use Protodies' rear end, you will need to raise the rear end 1/8" or the drive hubs will not clear the frame. The rear sprocket and brake rotor will end up below the rear rail. Not good IMHO... I'll need to make a skid plate to protect them, more added weight.

So here's my start, been working on it over the past 5-6 weeks in my spare time. Maybe I will get done by next desert season. Guess I can always head up to Gene's neck of the woods for test driving during the summer.

By the way, you all should check out pirate4x4 vendor section before ordering parts. A lot of the vendors have discount codes buried in the vendor section. I got a great deal on parts from Ballistic Fabrication plus 15% off just for using the P4X4 discount code.
    Last edited by amergin; 11-29-2010 at 10:23 AM.
    Currently on a two year walkabout

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Amer's ST4 build
    Next part... I'll get some more photos during the day. The lighting sucks for my camera.
    Last edited by amergin; 11-28-2010 at 11:38 PM.

3. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Welcome back to the world of the build and even more so to MBN. It's good to have it's founder back.

4. Collapse Details
    Nice clean build! I love the design of the ST4

The front uprights designs are quite the same as the ST2 drawings.

I love the rounded ends of your 'bullbar' on front.. looks great!

Keep on flooding pictures!

Erwin
    I'm building my personal Badland's ST2 Long Travel

5. Collapse Details
    Nice build cant wait to see it done

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the welcome back....

The round end cap came from Ballistic Fab, they were so cheap I couldn't pass them up. They also have some pointed cone shape (sharp) end caps. Thought about those for a second then figured I would have to add rockets and other such garbage to match the Mad Max look of them.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by amergin View Post
    Thanks for the welcome back....

The round end cap came from Ballistic Fab, they were so cheap I couldn't pass them up. They also have some pointed cone shape (sharp) end caps. Thought about those for a second then figured I would have to add rockets and other such garbage to match the Mad Max look of them.
    I did not know you were the founder of MBN. Is this true? If so, thank you! Welcome back from mee too.

Also, I think I know the answer to this question, (I have not checked Ballistic Fab yet) but does anyone make end caps for 1 5/16 tube?? 1.315. ST2 LT tube. ???
    Again, Pretty sure the answer the answer is 'NO', but what the hell right?

Thanks.
    Glock n Ballz
    Ft. Worth, Tx

8. Collapse Details
    Don't think BF has 1 5/16" end caps. I'm sure Rick would be able to turn some down for you in minutes though. I bribe K-fab with bubble gum when I need some lathe work. lol

This site started out as a conversation on the old DesertKartU Yahoo group. One user teased us with a site that never materialized. So in May 2005 MBN was created to fill the void. Somehow PLKRACER managed to get a post on here way back in 1969. lol, that's a conversion error from previous upgrades I think.

9. Collapse Details
    Ballistic Fab also has some pointed cone end caps. Thought about those for a second then figured I would have to add rockets and other such garbage to match the Mad Max look of them.
    Two days ago, I saw a vehicle that would haul that tanker. You want to get out of here? You talk to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock n Ballz View Post
    Does anyone make end caps for 1 5/16 tube?? 1.315 ST2 LT tube. ???
    I'm sure Rick would be able to turn some down for you in minutes though.
    Why don't you have Rick make you some? I'm going to have him make some cone ones for me, 1 1/4" OD 1.03" ID.

10. Collapse Details
    Good to see your ST4 project log with some progress!

The car has lots of rake up front. What is it? 15?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast