Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sled exhaust tricks to gain space
    I just spoke to a gentleman at Aean exhaust to ask him about sled exhausts. He toldme that as long as you have a bandsaw and a mig you can make pie cuts to the pipe and route it closer to the engine in order to keep your engine compartment small. He also told me that as long as you dont remove any length from the pipe it will not change hp.

Hope this helps others as I am using a polaris Indy 500 engine on my shredder 2

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Sled exhaust tricks to gain space
    Someone had me laser cut Rotax exhaust flanges for them because he cut the originals off and fliped the Y pipe upside down to bring it in tighter. I still have half a dozen.

3. Collapse Details
    How do you flip it upside down, it comes straight out of the head? How will that gain space, there is a 1 foot pipe then a swoop to the expansion chamber. I would love to see it . Sorry I just cant picture it

Thanks

4. Collapse Details
    I just looked at a few pics, I see that the y pipe is angle down, how much would you want for a couple of those flanges? It was an Indy 500 twin liquid cooled engine? I see nbow how flipping the Y will gain some space.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtreaper View Post
    How do you flip it upside down, it comes straight out of the head? How will that gain space, there is a 1 foot pipe then a swoop to the expansion chamber. I would love to see it . Sorry I just cant picture it

Thanks
    That head pipe was on my 600 Pilot. The stock y pipe actually angled up off the engine , so we cut it off at the flanges, flipped it over, and rewelded to have the y pipe angle down. We probably gained about 5-6 degrees of angle doing this. I'll be wrapping the pipe soon to try to quiet the buggy down, and I'll try to remember to take a picture, but I'm not sure it'll show you anything.
    I race, therefore I am

6. Collapse Details
    I just spoke to a gentleman at Aean exhaust to ask him about sled exhausts. He told me that as long as you have a bandsaw and a mig you can make pie cuts to the pipe and route it closer to the engine in order to keep your engine compartment small. He also told me that as long as you don't remove any length from the pipe it will not change hp.
    What I ended up doing is buying an exhaust pipe from Aaen, but getting it not welded together, so I received a box with about 5 sections in it. I then made a few cuts to rotate and angle the pieces and welded it all together myself. I think this was much easier than trying to modify the stock exhaust pipe, and it is lighter weight too.

Quote Originally Posted by odypilots View Post
    I'll be wrapping the pipe soon to try to quiet the buggy down, and I'll try to remember to take a picture, but I'm not sure it'll show you anything.
    I wrapped my pipe last year for the same reason. I took the wrap off over the winter to fix the pipe and have decided to leave it off. I don't think it made much difference at all in terms of sound level, maybe a few db's at best. What it did do is get wet every time I drove in mud or washed the buggy, and it takes forever to dry again unless you run the engine to heat it up and dry it out, which isn't practical for me. This just makes the pipe get extremely rusty.

7. Collapse Details
    I just looked at a few pics, I see that the y pipe is angle down, how much would you want for a couple of those flanges? It was an Indy 500 twin liquid cooled engine? I see nbow how flipping the Y will gain some space.
    The flanges are for a Rotax, Type 597 and probably others.

OdyPilots, I heard about getting turned away at Silver Lake. I have been doing my own testing lately and reading the laws. I was bummed when the custom silencers I built did not get down to the 94db listed on Silver Lake's site. The site does say that they will allow you in without testing if you have a silencer with the USFS stamp. I tested a customer's machine over the weekend with an FMF Turbine core on it. It actually tested a bit higher than my silencer. I don't think 94db is practical.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks minibajaman I will do the same, I just dont want to waste a foot of engine compartment with a ridiculous pipe...lol How much of the straight piece were you able to remove? And I would love a pic thanks

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveWire View Post
    The flanges are for a Rotax, Type 597 and probably others.

OdyPilots, I heard about getting turned away at Silver Lake. I have been doing my own testing lately and reading the laws. I was bummed when the custom silencers I built did not get down to the 94db listed on Silver Lake's site. The site does say that they will allow you in without testing if you have a silencer with the USFS stamp. I tested a customer's machine over the weekend with an FMF Turbine core on it. It actually tested a bit higher than my silencer. I don't think 94db is practical.
    I know it, 94dbs is going to be VERY tough to do. I'd stop going if I had to choke it down that much. The testers said they would accept 99dbs, which I hope to be able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by minibajaman View Post
    I wrapped my pipe last year for the same reason. I took the wrap off over the winter to fix the pipe and have decided to leave it off. I don't think it made much difference at all in terms of sound level, maybe a few db's at best. What it did do is get wet every time I drove in mud or washed the buggy, and it takes forever to dry again unless you run the engine to heat it up and dry it out, which isn't practical for me. This just makes the pipe get extremely rusty.
    Bummer! I was worried about rust, now I'm rethinking doing the wrap. A couple of dbs would help my cause, though. I bought a sound level tester, so I'll probably follow through to see how much difference it does (or doesn't) make.
    I race, therefore I am

10. Collapse Details
    Dirtreaper,

When it comes time to get a pipe look at a Firecat pipe for the tight bend at the head pipe. I used a F7 pipe for the first 12 inches and then grafted it into a Polaris 800 pipe, by far the easiest of the 4 pipes I made for my pilot, just keep the length and diameter the same as stock.

I included a pic from E-bay of a f5 for reference.

Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast