Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Ariel Atom on crack ?!?
    some of you may followed my "Maxitaxi" build;
    a wrecked Nissan Maxima FWD car turned into a RWD SideXSide kinda little buggy ....

and some may also noticed my "Spectre" front/midship engine design concept for a new Midi sized performance dune/desert buggy for myself ....

anyway, the more i work on the Maxi the more i can not get rid of this crazy idea to actually use a wrecked modern late model V6 FWD car and turn it into a long travel mid engine "Ariel Atom on crack " kinda thing ....

so i just started working on a AutoCAD concept and would welcome any ideas and input from you guys

here is a rough idea of what i have in mind:
    taking a engine/transaxle similar to this 285 SAE hp Ford direct injection VVT 3.5 L / 6 speed auto ...

...and place it in the frame like in this sketch:

more travel and better forward vision then Spectre ... but actually even shorter and smaller (~ 98" WB, 11' OAL, 82" wide)
    i`m thinking to "off-set" the engine something like 5" to the passenger side to eliminate the pass side jackshaft ... this way a CV flange to flange spacing of well under 16" should be possible .
    the weight balance could be restored by moving things like the battery, trans-& oil-coolers, exhaust,... to the driver side

the rear suspension is the part that will be the biggest challenge ; i definitely do not want a trailing arm suspension for its (IMHO) bad axle plunge and handling in turns... but there is no room for my favored H-an I-arm suspension ... ... so i`m working on some alternative ideas like a multi-link trailing/A-arm mix ...

what do you guys think about this ???
    Last edited by RoosterBooster; 06-22-2010 at 10:40 AM.
    Stephan

"In a totally sane society, madness is the only freedom" J.G. Ballard

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Ariel Atom on crack ?!?
    i made some quick photoshop pics to illustrate the change to the transaxle jackshaft;

this ^ .... is roughly how a average FWD trans setup looks like...

and this ^ ... is how i would shorten the jackshaft ... i guess it could even be shorter...

so the center of the engine/trans would move from the stock (yellow line) to the red line:

when i lifted the Maxima engine in n` out i actually found that the center of gravity (with the slightly heavier automatic) was actually not center mass, but more towards the engine flange .... so i guess balancing the buggy evenly by placing the battery and other stuff to the right side should be no problem
    Stephan

3. Collapse Details
    Looks like the problem will be balancing out the rear of the car. Thats a lot of weight offset. My engine is offset a little and I was able to work out the balance but that is pretty severe. Whats the plan there? The battery is only about 40 lbs so what else are you gonna stick over there.

4. Collapse Details
    A mid engine Spectre is interesting. Final drive ratio?

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by standfast View Post
    Looks like the problem will be balancing out the rear of the car. Thats a lot of weight offset. My engine is offset a little and I was able to work out the balance but that is pretty severe. Whats the plan there? The battery is only about 40 lbs so what else are you gonna stick over there.
    tractor weights

lol.. just kidding

i think i would definitely mount there a large Trans cooler with its dedicated fan ... something like the fluidyne "enduro" i used on the larger truggys.
    i like things quiet so there would also be a fairly large exhaust/muffler(s)
    maybe offset the fuel tank ?? .... but that is a dynamic weight ... i guess balancing the car with static weight would be preferable
    hmmmm ..... at least the weight offset is to the passenger side ... i usually like to be alone in the car when i drive "crazy" ... so that may helps as well
    Stephan

6. Collapse Details
    yes it is going to have a good top speed but when it gets stuck you will need some thing to get it out

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene View Post
    A mid engine Spectre is interesting. Final drive ratio?
    good point

the lack of short gear ratios used to be a real problem with FWD transaxles ... but thanks to the latest fashion of "Crossover" cars (basically FWD sedans pretending to be SUV`s ) this is not as big of a problem anymore.
    Crossovers like the Ford Edge have now 245/60R18 (30") tires stock ... i would like to run something like 265/70R18 at the max ... so that would not be too bad of a compromise

i was just looking at this Chevy Traverse; Salvage 2009 Chevrolet Traverse | Worldwide Auto

the new Chevy 3.6L V6 direct injection engine is also a superb donor candidate ... 281 SAE hp (not some overinflated aftermarket rating) and 266 ft-lbs of torque ... and backed up by the new 6-speed (Ford/GM co-designed) trans that is designed to move the porky curb weight of 4790 lbs, haul 1690 lbs of payload and tow a 5200 lbs trailer !!!

i do not like to pound whoops anyway ...so i`m fairly confident that a ~2500 max lbs buggy will not be too harsh on a transmission like that .
    Stephan

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by harenj00 View Post
    yes it is going to have a good top speed but when it gets stuck you will need some thing to get it out
    harenj00

i`m actually used to dune with a lot larger and heavier cars ... i honestly do not worry about going stuck ... not that i would claim to be a good driver (i`m just a average guy that loves to dune)

IMHO the best insurance against going stuck is a reliable engine with a broad power band so that you can "power" out of hairy situations.
    this is also the reason why i dont really care about max HP ... i personally prefer a stock engine (that runs perfect in every situation) over a high hp (but usually far from perfect running ) aftermarket engine
    Stephan

9. Collapse Details
    Very interesting I am sure whatever you do or whichever way you go I have no doubt it will both well done and fun.

Not to mention interesting to look at and check out.
    As in "trick"

I look forward to seeing more of this.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by TutTech View Post
    Very interesting I am sure whatever you do or whichever way you go I have no doubt it will both well done and fun.

Not to mention interesting to look at and check out.
    As in "trick"

I look forward to seeing more of this.

Tut , thanks for the compliment

hey, look; another Aardvark

(...just messing with you )

btw
    here is the link to the little V8 powered Atom where i found the inspiring pictures:
    ariel atom

Stephan

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast