Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Finished my homemade tube bender
    Followed the plans from the tube bender trike page. Overall, this thing works great. It uses the Pro Tools 105 dies. Right now I have the 1.25 die but will probably jump up to the 1.5 eventually. Last thing to do is throw on a couple coats of paint and I am done.

The bender is over designed a bit. The thing weights around 200lbs when built and some of the 1/4" wall tubing in many of the areas are not necessary. I guess it makes it easier using the same wall square tubing but this thing is way stout.

In the plans there are two versions; one set that can be made with a simple chop saw and drill press and a version B that needs to be made with a mill/lathe. I went ahead and build the nicer model because I had access to a shop; the only thing I didn't do was make the collapsible legs mainly because they seemed a little flimsy and I wasn't worried about the extra ft length. I would definitely recommend using the mill with spot drill etc to drill out all the plates so everything lines up nicely. Also using a lathe to make bushings for the shafts also makes it a lot easier to remove the pins.

Anyway just thought I'd throw up some pictures...

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Finished my homemade tube bender
    That looks nice. What was your cost on materials and how much time in it? I bought a similar design pre-made since it was so cheap. Mine was 310 bux shipped to my house off E-bay with a 1 3/4" die....hard to beat for the price but I sure would like a nicer one.....1-3/4" Tubing Tube Bender SandRail-Prerunner Baja : eBay Motors (item 150397834890 end time Apr-13-10 14:36:19 PDT) Only because it kinks a bit on .083.....for my 65 mph RZR-S I didn't need anything thicker.

Tom

3. Collapse Details
    The die with shipping was a little over $200. It took pretty much one full 20ft length of 2" .25 wall tubing and the flat plate wasn't too bad to give you an idea. So mine definitely cost more but I like having the satisfaction of building it myself and from what I've heard this bender setup is a pretty good one.

4. Collapse Details
    Looks like a really solid build...nice!!

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the info.

Tom

6. Collapse Details
    Hey that looks like the one im building , Im building the same bender as his, the dies are premade and arent cheap but what die is. so far on my build im in, $140 in steel and the 60 or 70 for the 8 ton air over hydraulic from harbor freight. like andy said this thing is a beast i thought about figureing out what was really needed for tube size but the figured if you over build it wolnt break on you when you needs it most right. plus 220 for the bender plus dies is cheaper then any that i have found. I was going to get one of the JD2 ones but realized i dont really have a place i could bolt it to the floor. Plus this build alows you to do some pretty complex loop bends

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks, paint is drying on it right now. I forgot the cost of the hydraulic cylinder. Remember never buy anything from Harbor Freight without using a 20% off coupon; they always have one available (check slickdeals.net). I was looking at the JD2 as well but when I ran the numbers this was the cheaper way to go and I like the extra feautres such as the air/hydraulic push button type bending. The extra cylinder through JD2 with everything added up is around $1000 and you can't roll it around the shop. This setup is only a few hundred. Thanks for the comments!

8. Collapse Details
    Looks good. I would have likley built on of these had I not already had my PT-105 and stand. But now I am "slowly" working on a portable stand for mine when I get to it (which seems like NEVER)

When I got the HF air over hydraulic cylinder I got it on sale with no coupon for just over 60 bucks.

After cycling it twice I decided I did not want to listen to my air comprssor that much (Personal thing!)
    (These cylinders DO use a lot of air. Expect the compressor to run/wear and use a good bit of electric! (Just warning yah))

I went with 120volt electric over hydraulic in the end. Took me a while shopping Ebay but I got killer deals on my parts with a lil waiting for the deals to fall in my lap.

Imma check out slick deals site for that coupon.

You can also get a 20% of HFf coupon in "Petersons 4wd" truck magazine off nearly any shelf at a store that sells mags if you need a 20% of HF coupon too. The 4 bucks you spend on the mag aint bad for the mag alone and the coupon will save you a lot for the bigger items.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

9. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I see the 20% off coupons in just about every popular science, mechanics, and even mens health sometimes I think. I was testing my bender and I did notice how much air it used. When running through the full travel of the cylinder I think my decent sized compressor cycled about 3 times, ha! I don't plan on bending that much but if that time ever comes I might look into that electric hydraulic cylinder, good idea.

10. Collapse Details
    Like I was saying, this thing is over built. I'm thinking about running the FEA analysis on it in Solidworks to see what kind of stress is really on this thing. It's actually geometrically pretty simple structure so I could probably use the good ol' hand calcs to figure out the stresses and safety factors with this size tubing. There are some gaps between the bender die and side tubes which causes some unnecessary moment stress on the 1" and 7/8" pins. Unless this gap is needed for larger dies, I would get rid of that gap in a future build so it doesn't have those forces on it. I think a smaller cylinder might actually work with this, especially some some more leverage and distance on that swing arm. But then again that cylinder is so cheap anyway...
    Last edited by andy777bmx; 04-09-2010 at 01:26 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast