Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Stadium Lite - New and Improved
    Ok so heres the story-

I raced PACE Offroad way back in the early 90's in a borrowed Briggs Built Stadium Lite and fell in love with it. I raced at Anheim and San Diego with mid pack results. Owner of the car drove it in Phoenix and our mechanic and I drove to Seattle for the last round where he drove it. After that PACE pretty much died leaving the car and myself without fun to be had. Fast foward to 2006. I had aquired a 440 Sled motor and a few other parts hoping to one day build a new Superlite but still had no place to race it. About that time I get a call that the car I had drove years ago was sitting in a shop rotting looking for a new home. Keys in hand I'm out the door and come home with a beat up but adored new car. New to me but in all reality built in 1986-1987. I busted my butt and spent countless hours and dollars making it run again. I took it out to Glen Helen Race Way in Dec of 2008 for their Baja Cup Challange, a 5 mile track running the perimeter of the property through the hills and such and had a blast. I knew I needed to build a new car. And so the real story begins.......

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Stadium Lite - New and Improved
    what a tease this is the old car. i want to see the new beauty, and yes it is.

3. Collapse Details
    you found it before i was done typing.....

Ok so the story on the new car. I know Bullnerd really wants the details.

I work a full time job but on my off days (3-4 a week) I spend at my friends shop buiding what ever the hell i want. He builds off road trucks and cars and preps them for the races as a full time job. So what better place to use for my hobbies then a complete shop including all tools necessary and a fabricator on hand to answer all my questions. So when I decided to build a new car there was no question of where it would be built.

I knew I wanted something fast and handled great so I decided to build a copy of a Briggs car with some new stuff added. I knew where the some of the old jigs were and some a few parts here and there, so I had a plan, or so I thought. My first idea was to build a chassis and use as much off the shelf stuff I could to keep it simple and cost effective. My dream was to build a car that could be race ready and sold for $20,000. More on that later.

The chassis came together fairly quick but lots of things were unanswered. I did lots of internet research but could find very little. Thats when I found this site and k-fab. I emailed him and got a quick responce. He loved the idea and offered LOTS of info. He also kept it quite for a very long time. I didn't want everyone in the world knowing what I was up to. He sent me measurements and even lots of stuff he got when he bought his 3 cars. Without his help it would of been quite a bit harder to build.

So pretty quick I figured out nothing off the shelf fit on this car without lots of modification. I had to make the hard decision of making an inexspenive car using other people stuff and not have it the way I wanted or dive off the deep end and make everything I needed. Head first I dove in. I made changes where I thought things needed to be stronger and changed what I thought would make it better. The front end is way stronger using a new spindle I designed and built. New chromoly arms instead of boxed arms. I love the way they look and definatly easier to build if you get them laser or waterjet but definatly not as strong as tubing. Front and rear hubs are redesigned for more strength and to use UTV wheels and tires. 13" wheels and tires died years ago so I opted for 14" stuff. There are lots with the growth of the rhino and teryx industry. Yes I have big tires on it now. But thats because I need to roll it around the shop and I figured for long races like the Baja Cup Challange they will work well. For short course I will use something like the Maxxis UTV set-up. A little lighter but wear way faster.

So the big question.... Is it a Briggs Car?
    Simple answer.... YES and NO.

I simply took all the stuff I liked from that car and and built it into mine. I have made lots of changes to the stuff I thought needed to be updated. We do not race in the stadium on perfectly groomed tracks anymore. I had to sacrafice adding a little weight to build a car that would survive.

Do I plan to sell these cars?

Yes that was the plan from the begining but with the economy and lack of purse money from races I don't know if it will truely work out. Parts cost and time to build make it a costly choice. But on the other hand if you want to go fast and have the best car on the track I truely believe there will be no better car right out of the box.

Ok here are some pics.......

4. Collapse Details
    Pics of the bare chassis, 4130 front spindle snout, and the begining of a new hub

5. Collapse Details
    More completed hubs, CNC master cylinders, a view from the cockpit, and a front view.

6. Collapse Details
    Also before this thread gets to long. I owe K-fab a huge Thank You for the time spent helping me and parts he shipped I could use for mock up. Also for not letting the cat out of the bag. I know once he gets his 10 car done and into his prerunner I will repay his somehow.

Also a big help in this has been Dan at RPM Gearboxes. He is a great guy that comes through without a doubt. He has built them since the begining of the Mickey Thompson days and there is NOBODY better.

7. Collapse Details
    ok get it done the next race is roughly a month away

8. Collapse Details
    Wow, that's sharp!!

9. Collapse Details
    I knew it!Theres too many things that are identical to the Briggs too not have gotten measurements.Congratulations,you've done what i've wanted to do for the past ten years.I knew K was up to something but wasnt sure what.I still dont know why more people havnt copied this frame?Its so simple but so complete.Everyone always makes things so complicated,when its all right there.It would have been nice to have these take off like the trophy karts did.If i were you i would sell basic plans for the chassis,theres not that many bends,drawings would be very simple.The main concern would be suspension mounting points/dimensions.I have drawings but i'm sure their not as accurate as yours.

Thanks for taking the time,to share the pics and keep them coming.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

10. Collapse Details
    Oh, i wanted to ask, is that an RPM rack?

If it is how much,if you dont mind saying.

I'm so friggin jealous!
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast