Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Sidewinder Buggy Build.. and upgrade
    Question
    All right hey quys,

Im Jeremy and am 17 and live just south of Auckland in NZ. I have been contemplating making a buggy of some sort for some time now, but having been living in Singapore for the last two years, means i havent had access to the tools and equipment. So i finally have returned to start Poly in Automotive Technology . Having said that i have finally gowen some balls and gone and brought what seems to be a earlier model Sidewinder. The guy that i brought it off had it for a year and has been sitting outside for a while... :? But with the amount of tools and resources available i am pretty sure i can do what ever need to be done 8)

So to the Pictures, if you dont like pictures go back!!

Okay so my first q is what model is this? I presume it is relatively Old!! lol

Giving a view of the steering rack, i took it of because it was pretty ruff, pulled it apart and cleaned out the bearings and is now working perrrfect. And yea i still have the other protector ...

This is where the last owner cut out a 650 i think, will just grind the steel back and when i get my motor will jimmy something together :lol:

Now heres the rear end, i will have to add another strut on the swingarm so i can get out and drift without tearing the rear end out. Does anyone have any tips of how to remove the pivot point bolt, it is threaded on both ends so dont want to hit it with a hammer...

Heres an image showing the three suspension brackets, twin spring and one airshock, dont know why, bit off a overkill but anyhoo...

How do you remove this?

Front end

Air shock over spring shock for the sand.

Anyone have any ideas of how to remove the swing arms? The steering assembly holder is welded there so it has to come out towards the seat or rear of the buggy...

To the tools now..
    You probably dont need to see it, but will give you an idea of what our limitations would be.

Heres our lathe, its a colchester with a 3.5meter bed?? This will help heaps with the axle, hubs and bushes

The mill, probably the least used machine, but will come in handy..

And lastly the Mini mill/large 2'' drill press, bloody powerful

I have a hell of a lot more pictures but have used my allowance in Flickr :lol: So might look at getting photo-bucket or something, the pics that i have show some progress on the axle and hubs, will post them later today probably..

So any suggestions/opinions and advice is greatly appreciated!! I am really looking forward to getting this going, we have 60 odd arces at our place with 20 odd acres of 12000 pine trees, which has some mean tracks in it, then the neigbours have another 90 odd acres and the guy i brought it off has about 4 more sidewinders and 40 odd acres!! And he says i am more than welcome to go there and race him and his sons So having 200 odd acres to rome on is going to be mean as... I am currently looking for a motor, from 450 upwards really, not sure weather to go with twin cylinder, quad motor, road bike or dirt bike. So have a few decisions to make.

Thoughts?

Thanks for looking

Jeremy

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Sidewinder Buggy Build.. and upgrade
    That almost looks like an old edge sidewinder. The front a-arms look familar. Who knows could be a chinese cart for all I know. As far as the front a-arm removal. Just take off the nut towards the front and pull the shaft out. If that isn't a nut (can't tell poor lighting) not sure then.
    Last edited by wyattboche; 02-03-2010 at 12:55 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    Oh that's a nice project

And like many others on this forum, I love pictures!

I think that the buggy brings some problems with it that you will find out in a matter of time.. Like the problems with the suspension axles.

Do you think that you will re-fabricate the steering axle? Now it looks like a axle that is made of several short pieces of metal, welded together?

It also looks like your front suspension arms hit the frame sometimes, you can see that the metal is damaged beneath the arms.. Maybe you can fix that?

Can't you remove your front suspension axles while your steering rack is off? That you can get the lower bolts off with a wrench and then tick the axles a bit out with a screw driver or so.. so you can pull it out from the rack-side?

I can't really see it on the pictures and you will tested that I think.. but maybe you oversee it?
    I'm building my personal Badland's ST2 Long Travel

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ErwinBnl View Post
    Oh that's a nice project

And like many others on this forum, I love pictures!

I think that the buggy brings some problems with it that you will find out in a matter of time.. Like the problems with the suspension axles.

Do you think that you will re-fabricate the steering axle? Now it looks like a axle that is made of several short pieces of metal, welded together?

It also looks like your front suspension arms hit the frame sometimes, you can see that the metal is damaged beneath the arms.. Maybe you can fix that?

Can't you remove your front suspension axles while your steering rack is off? That you can get the lower bolts off with a wrench and then tick the axles a bit out with a screw driver or so.. so you can pull it out from the rack-side?

I can't really see it on the pictures and you will tested that I think.. but maybe you oversee it?

Yea its gonna keep me busy for a while

Yep the steering assembly will do for now as it works, but in the long run i will defiantly be getting a new box, and the outriggers that go to the wheels as they are, as we say very Maori done (rough). I will look at just using a threaded length of steel.

I havent really looked at the front swing arm if it is hitting the frame, but will definitely look at that as well

I havent really tried removing the swing arm pivot bolt, but trying to remove the rear one it is really stuck, i will take the rack off this morning and try and get back to ya.

Thanks for the reply

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ErwinBnl View Post
    Oh that's a nice project

You could use limite straps like what is on my piranha. This would keep the front a-arms from hiting the frame.

6. Collapse Details
    I had a look and it dosent look to bad at all, it looks like the swing arm has hit it when i took the spring out But if i find that it is hitting for any reason, i like that idea Wyatt. I finally got the pivot bolt out!! had to make up a punch, as our biggest one is a track pin out of a log hauler so just got some rebar that was there and it worked like a charm On removing it i dont think it has been greased in a couple of years, the grease that was there had gone rock solid, but a quick bath and a quick blast with the mini sand blaster it has come up nice. Will just get it going and then take it to a professional to get blasted.

7. Collapse Details
    Does anyone have any idea how to remove the rear pivot bolt? Tryed doing what i did to the front swing arms but it isn't moving at all Have started taking the paneling off, this has now revealed that the previous owner has removed some cross members? for a reason beyond me ?? So will have to weld those in... will post some pics later today or tomorrow.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustydog2010 View Post
    Does anyone have any idea how to remove the rear pivot bolt? Tryed doing what i did to the front swing arms but it isn't moving at all Have started taking the paneling off, this has now revealed that the previous owner has removed some cross members? for a reason beyond me ?? So will have to weld those in... will post some pics later today or tomorrow.
    Are you talking about the rear swing arm Bolt? Do you want to keep the rear swing arm or are you going to build new? If you are going to build new I would just cut the sucker out. But if you want to salvage it use heat(torch) on the swing arm and have someone beat on the bolt while you heat it up. More inlikely the bolt is rusted onto the bearings.
    Last edited by wyattboche; 02-04-2010 at 12:10 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Yea, ideally i would like to keep the rear swingarm, so i will try the heat on it. But if the worst comes to the worst i wil just cut it out like you say. Anyway of to take some pics, will update soon

10. Collapse Details
    Update!! Okay so here is some new pictures...

Here is the brake disk, it is cracked and seperated full, i wasnt thinking and tried to weld it with the Mig So will have to brass it up and then face it

Here are brand new bearings and there holders, and the hubs, the big one is new and when i went to weld it, the whole boody thing warpped by up to about 5mm

Here is the axle, tried to press the bush off, but wouldn't budge, so just cleaned it up, it is for the brake caliper.

This is the outrigger of the steering box, as you can see the workman ship is pretty dodgy, so will remake that later on.

The fuel tank is there, not sure whether to go for a pump or just gravity feed, any ideas? The tires are bearclaws i think, will need to reinforce the rims so they dont collapse

Oh and those are just crappy old ones to roll it around on, there you can see the Mig and Arc welders as well as the grills for the window area...

Thats it for now as photobucket was playing up,

Thoughts?

Cheers Jeremy
    Last edited by Rustydog2010; 02-04-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast