Page 1 of 156 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    The Mad Minion - Gixxer 600 powered Micro 2 Seater build
    So, rather than start in with the fabrication too quick, I'm going to plan this one out a bit more. Several of my riding friends have bought UTVs like polaris rangers and razors, etc. While I've always been more of a quad/bike guy, I've also got two growing kids (6 yr old boy and 3 year old daughter). I have a little mini 110 quad for my son and an offroad go kart I built for both of them. Regardless, I'm in need of a side by side so I can take the kids or the wife out on occasion. I don't have the $$ to go buy a commercial buggy, but I have an old KX500 that I haven't been using much lately. I've also just had so much fun building the offroad kart recently, that I'm now really excited to build something bigger I can drive as well.

Primary Goals:

• Utilize my KX500 motor (I bought the bike new in 2000)
    • Keep the buggy as small and atv sized as possible to allow use of 95% of the ATV trails in the dunes
    • 2 seater
    • Ultralight (Thin walled .065 tubing) Hoping for 550lbs or so, lighter the better. Although I may use some isolated heavier walled tubing for critical members and for susension components.
    • Simple Drive Train (Chain/Jackshaft/trailing arm driven, no CV)
    • Yamaha Banshee front spindles/hubs/brakes
    • Honda TRX450 shocks (Front up front, one each rear for trailing arms)
    • Rack and pinon steering.
    • 10-12" travel
    • ATV sized tires/wheels, 22" front & rear
    • Gearing for about 70mph.
    • Not sure about starter, may relocate to an in cab kicker or try to figure out a way to convert to electric start.
    • No reverse (another reason to keep it light)
    • Low Cost (hoping to use the parts I have plus about $1000 for the rest)

Going to plan this out in detail in google sketchup. Here is a starter 2D layout of the general floor dimensions I'm thinking about.

Since I'm in the planning stage, I'm really looking for any thoughts or suggestions. Lines on paper are pretty easy to change. Also looking for any thoughts about challenges around using thin walled tubing other than the general need to triangulate everything pretty well.

This is what I have for parts so far:
    The bike (this is when I bought it new back 9 years ago, it has since had the top end ported, bored to 520cc, and redone, otherwise pretty much stock. I plan to use the motor, pipes, possibly radiators, possibly tank, and maybe some of the brake components. Whatever I can use...I will.

I also have two of these seats I just bought from Summit Racing sitting here I plan to use (about 11lbs each). Thinking about something like a 30 degree back rest angle for the rear firewall.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Martin
    Last edited by Martinm210; 03-28-2010 at 03:54 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    re: The Mad Minion - Gixxer 600 powered Micro 2 Seater build
    Buggy Plans, Go Kart Plans, Two Seater, Suspension Kart, Buggy Kits, Kart Kits, Buggy Parts, Kart Parts.

Thats nearly what you want to build anyways.

There are a couple builders of these on this site and they love them. You might consider it. A search can lead you to thier posts (I may try to find them in a few) They say it would be easy to make the rear end a bit more travel to on the cheap.

I WOULD sell the bike and use that loot to fund the buggy. Not sure where you are at but a good sled can be bought pretty cheap with a larger twin cylinder (or bigger) motor for under 500 bucks easy. Often much cheaper if the tracks bad which a buggy guy will not need anyways. You might get lucky and find electric start and perhaps reverse in a sled too. No one who has reverse has ever wished they did not have it!

Aside from the hard to fix starting problem the buggy will be a LOT more weight than the bike motor is made for. Will it move? Sure. But the gearing may suffer some on the bottom end to get the speed you hope too. Remember with a 500-600 pound buggy and two passenger you are talking three times the weight the bike motor performs really good with. It will struggle with it most likely.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    Side note in case you cannot tell the rear trailing arms ARE chain drive down them with the ShredderII plans. Easy to make a bit longer if needed but then you will need to tune the shocks for the new length. Not a big deal all told.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...ast-build.html

Theres one link to one of the Shredder guys builds. I will look for the other.

5. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    Much as I love My KX500, I do not think the motor would be a good choice for a 2 seater buggy.

And what do you mean old, Mines got 9 years on yours and is still the dune master.

Nothing like a 12 scooper to throw sand at the quad dorks..........

6. Collapse Details
    Blog Entries
    Oh yeah, those plastics seats range from kinda comfortable to down right painful depending on your body shape. I would spend a little more and get suspension seats.

7. Collapse Details
    Oh, thanks!

Time to go reading again... I have bought a couple of different buggy plans now and have learned something from all of them.

Since I am planning to go very thin on the tubing thickness, I was figured on doing a bit more triangulation. I can't help but make it custom, but I might buy those plans anyhow...I have two more on the shelf now I use for reference all the time for bits and pieces..

Here is a little more modeling I have done on the floor frame (trying to get some good cross bracing done on the floor to transfer loads between the a-arms and trailing arms:

And here is an earlier modeling attempt at the buggy showing the jackshaft drive setup I'm thinking of. I'm not entirely sure on the drive shaft extension idea, I may have to route the chain down or over the flywheel bulge.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    Much as I love My KX500, I do not think the motor would be a good choice for a 2 seater buggy.

And what do you mean old, Mines got 9 years on yours and is still the dune master.

Nothing like a 12 scooper to throw sand at the quad dorks..........
    Very nice!

I will miss the bike, but I crash alot less on four wheels. I rode nothing but the 500 from 2000 to just last year. Then I bought an 05 TRX450R and it ruined me. In Coos Bay, OR. there's a ton of deep rutted woodsy dunes trails that are a total PITA on the 500 or any bike for that matter. I also made the mistake of riding a newer CR450F that was SOO nice. If I buy another bike later, it'll be a 450. I know nothing will every have the same power, but 450 felt like a feather...almost no weight on the front end or up high...literally about half the effort to ride.

This is me on the beast...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eg7dRvggU

I love the rush of the 500's power, but it kicks my but routinely and I want a buggy so it's something I'm thinking of sacrificing. Maybe I'll just have to give the motor a try. If it doesn't work out, I could always plan gutting my suzuki SV650 twin motor...lol! I'd probably still be on a bike if only I could convince a few of my friends to ride bike. I never could get anyone to try the 500...I don't know why...
    Last edited by Martinm210; 01-28-2010 at 10:28 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bdkw1 View Post
    Oh yeah, those plastics seats range from kinda comfortable to down right painful depending on your body shape. I would spend a little more and get suspension seats.
    Yeah, I may have to do that. I was actually pretty surprised how well they are contoured sitting and watching TV in the living room. But I have no idea about what they are like under use though. At least it'll give me something to build the cage around, and the kids seem to like playing with them (I could build some legs as TV chairs for the kids later if nothing else.)..

10. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I like your idea of keeping the size and weight within limits for trail riding. I have a single-seater that is narrower than most of the buggies using CV axles and I used the dual-chain setup that you are considering. It came in handy last summer on a trail that had a cattle guard built to allow ATV's through. I was able to go through without any problem, but it was tight. If I had used CV axles, I wouldn't have made it through.

One suggestion I would make is that you use some .120" wall tubing on the lower frame. It's a little heavier, but it will eliminate the need to overbuild the frame to compensate for the thinner-wall tubing. The frame I am reworking has 1" x .120" wall tubing as a box frame on the bottom and also uses the heavier tubing for the main roll bars. The rest of the frame is built from .083" wall tubing. It's plenty strong and doesn't seem to be that heavy.

I also think you are taking the right approach to keep the cost down. CV axles, FNR transmssions and all their accouterments start adding up to real money. Jackshafts and chain drive are relatively cheap.

Page 1 of 156 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast