Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Ultralite Buggy Project from the UK
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    Yes, more pics!!!

2. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone - apologies for not posting the rest of the pics straight away, had a technical issue that was blocking me from the site - (Thanks K-Fab for sorting the problem)

So on with the pics and the story so far.......
    ChaosMS

From Chaos comes Creativity.........

http://www.chaosmotorsport.com
    Home of the Chaos Motorsport Buggy!

3. Collapse Details
    So now the engine mounts and sub frame were sorted I re-designed the front and rear hubs as we were now using vw driveshafts the old Suzuki ones had to go, I also wanted to be able to use a common / standard bolt in drive bearing / flange so after a bit trial and error I found that I could mix and match VW Golf R32 driveshafts with the 1.8T gearbox and run the later four bolt (5 stud) R32 wheel bearings!!

So I did the design, got the rear hubs laser cut:

then tacked the two kits of parts together:

trial fitted the new R32 Hubs and the new 280mm vented rear disks

And finished tacking the two tegether
    ChaosMS

4. Collapse Details
    Next came the new lower arms for the rear, as I was upping the power and the old lower arms no longer had the correct width for the new subframe I decided to build some truly massive ones and these are fitted with the race spec 16mm rose joints!

a little bit of cutting with the chop saw;

A little taking together

weld in the threaded inserts and supports

Fit the rosejoints and time for a quick test fit with the hub carrier

Got a friend of mine who is lucky and owns a lathe to make these for me

which then allowed me to make the entire rear frame detachable just like this:-

only tacked in at this point but you get the idea

quick modification of the old upper arms and now with one suspension side attached it looks like this:

then a quick test fit of one of the new (to me) wheels - the wheels were in a really bad state with low profile tyres fitted when I got them but you get the idea..

the wheels were then removed stripped of the tyres and sent for repair / refurb and a full powder coat !!
    ChaosMS

5. Collapse Details
    I then managed to get my hands on a mental R32 back box, which needed a lot of modification but once chopped up a bit a taped together (the tape aint staying dont worry) looks like this (and this is roughly the correct position

The exhaust back box then went off to a friend with a TIG who could replace the tape for proper tacks - not fully welded as yet as still needed to make further changes and work on the rest of the pipework

The wheels came back in a lovely black satin......mmmmmmmmm, fitted them with some proper all terrain tyres and they look like this:

got a few more parts for the build next, mainly the intercooler and rad plus a couple of 12" electric fans, designed the new carrier to hold them all (which had to be removable from the main frame) and got them laser cut from 3mm steel, along with the parts for the front hubs (8mm steel) and the exhaust flanges (8mm stainless)

started putting together each side of the Rad and intercooler mount;

Quick test fit with the rad and intercooler;

Zip ties for quick location of parts

Laser cut a couple of alloy panels for the electric fans (these bolt directly to the mounting holes on the rad

and trial fitted them too

Also did some smaller brackets for the remote oil filter housing and new oil cooler:

ChaosMS

6. Collapse Details
    Next job was to salvage the catalytic converter from the old exhaust and remove the reducers that were welded on and fit the new ones to go with the new lower section of the exhaust where it bolts to the bottom of the backbox, here it is on the bench after much messing about and tacking

then fitted into the bottom of the frame (no brackets as yet)

so now with the back box dropped in position roughly it looks like this

still need to finish off the exhaust readly for final welding but need to leave it as is for the moment until i sort the rest of the engine bak stuff out, so on with the build of the front hubs built in a similar way as the rear hubs ;

then seam welded and test fitted along with another R32 hub for the front

ChaosMS

7. Collapse Details
    So this simple engine swap has turned into a major re-build and the knock on effect to other parts of the buggy is massive, an example of this is the steering column, i wanted to use the new key barrel from the VW and as you can imagine this didnt fit around the Suzuki column I had so a quick search on ebay found a mk4 Golf column I could use which was purchased, modified to attach to the existing suzuki rack (the last bit of the suzuki) and mounted to the cross brace where the old column mounted.

So with the new column I could use the new key barrel and the steering lock would work, however none of the old column switch gear would fit (AAAHHHHHH) so luckily I took the donor cars column switch gear so a little modification to the gear and removal of one stalk and we had the indicators back!! Hooray!! but now weve lost the headlight on / off switch as that was mounted on the suzuki stalk!! .......... trust me this was getting really annoying...

Now vw have used a pretty standard rotary light control switch for years and it has the added benefit of having the ability to control the fog lights on the car (a must for the UK) the problem is its round and fits into a massive bracket in the Golf which was of no use to me, so a little head scratching, a bit of design and some 3D Printing later I had this:

Cut a massive hole in my dashboard module like this

and you end up with this

And with the switch in it - it looks like this (and the nice bit is you can extract the switch in the same way you do in the Golf just push the whole module in and turn anti-clockwise

Whilst I was messing the dashboard and the 3d printer I printed a new pod to hang under the dash to hold the oil temp and turbo gauge needed for the new engine:

I then re-fitted the new VW column, swapped the steering wheel boss out for one to fit the new column and we had working steering again!!!!

I decided to do a full test fit of all the hubs disks brakes etc (so I could put her back on her wheels again) - i had one of the front shocks off getting a new spring seat made so thats the reason there are struts in the front rather than shocks for the moment:

and then got the wheels back on, good moment that.....

needed to tweak the seat mounts too as was never happy with the flat mountings which made you feel like there was no support under the legs so tilted the seats back by lifting the front edge of the mounts by 45mm

So thats where we are at the moment!! - I am currently doing all the engine plumbing so lots and lots of red silicone tubes going everywhere!! will post more photos of that when Ive finished the plumbing!! but so far its looking good, will also be 3d printing a lot of clips and brackets etc so will post those too
    ChaosMS

8. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    That 3D piece looks fantastic. The resolution and surface is really nice.
    Carbon works looks killer too.
    Great progress!

9. Collapse Details
    Cheers K-fab, yeah spent ages getting the 3d printer dialled in but im pleased with it now, I'm also building a big 3d printer to do the really big stuff new printer will have 500mm cubed print volume, so I can print things like dashboard parts and scoops etc with ease in a single part!!
    ChaosMS

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21