Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Project turbo buggy
    What to do with a 150cc powered buggy with no get up and go. The buggy was really fun to cruise around in with the kid, but daddy needs more. I waited around for the perfect engine, the free one, and I waited around for the perfect turbo, the free one. Now the project is gonna start costing me, . Well the engine came out of an 81' Honda CM400E cruiser. The turbo is off of a 4 cylinder diesel engine. It is the smallest turbo that you can buy and will work on gas engine in the 20 to 75 hp range. The engine stock has 43hp. I will have to put all the numbers into my dyno sim to see what I should look for but I bet it will be in the low 50hp range. I will be using an open source fuel injection controller. The old carbs. are junk when running a turbo. This is a big conversion and will take a lot. I have already done some of the easy stuff and as I do more I will keep the thread going to the end. Enjoy

This one isn't mine but looks just like mine did off the showroom floor.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Project turbo buggy
    This is mine after the lights and a little bit better tires.

3. Collapse Details
    Now the fun begins.

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details
    This is the engine setup so far. The throttle bodies are off of a 97' honda cbr 600. I have not got the flange to bolt them up to my intake yet but as soon as I do I will get a picture up. The ECM will be an open source developed by two brilliant guys. It is called the Micro squirt. Has anyone ever dealt with one of these.

Last edited by bigbuck; 08-11-2009 at 09:10 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Well I've heard of the big brother...Mega squirt used for car tuning. I my self use HPtuners.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
    This is the engine setup so far. The throttle bodies are off of a 97' honda cbr 600. I have not got the flange to bolt them up to my intake yet but as soon as I do I will get a picture up. The ECM will be an open source developed by two brilliant guys. It is called the Micro squirt. Has anyone ever dealt with one of these.

Yeah I have converted several car engines and two bike engines over to Megasquirt which is esentially the same deal. The bikes we did already had fuel injection from the factory. The cars were all carb to fuel injection conversions. After tuning they all work real good and all are still running fine after several years. Two of the cars we converted also had turbo's added at the same time. It takes some patience to get the fuel map right on the turbo engines so be prepared for that and don't get overly anxious to go run it hard or you will damage the engine. Be sure to start out way, way rich and tune down.

That turbo looks kind of large for that engine. Is it just the perspective in the pic? Maybe so, it is hard to tell from just a pic for sure. What fuel, compression and boost combo are you going to go for or are you still working all that out?

One lesson learned ... at the local college they did some bike engine conversions for Formula SAE competition cars and had a couple of ECU failures due to vibration damage. So consider attaching your ECU on some vibration isolation mounts for reliability.

Nice looking project so far. You will learn a lot doing the conversion, working out the fuel map etc. Best of luck with it, should be a lot of fun!

8. Collapse Details
    rowycoracing, on you're manual car engines did you have to run a cam sensor. I'm going to change the ignition to individual coils per cylinder and will have to drive them from the micro squirt. I can run a crank sensor pretty simple. The cam sensor will be a little more tricky. The turbo is pretty small it has about an inch input on the compressor side. The compression ratio is a little high for turbocharging and I'm thinking about raising the cylinders or modifying the head some. The fuel I want to run will be pump gas 87 octane. I may go with super but don't want to have to. The viberation problem I hope wont be an issue as bad with the micro squirt. It seems a pretty solid circut. I will be mounted away from the engine. I do think that the isolators will be good with my mother board though, "design change" Thanks for the input and hope to hear more.
    Last edited by bigbuck; 08-17-2009 at 05:17 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best

Walmart 4-wheeler build https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/show-...tml#post169287

Turbo buggy build https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...rbo-buggy.html

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
    rowycoracing, one you manual car engines did you have to run a cam sensor. I'm going to change the ignition to individual coils per cylinder and will have to drive them from the micro squirt. I can run a crank sensor pretty simple. The cam sensor will be a little more tricky. The turbo is pretty small it has about an inch input on the compressor side. The compression ratio is a little high for turbocharging and I'm thinking about raising the cylinders or modifying the head some. The fuel I want to run will be pump gas 87 octane. I may go with super but don't want to have to. The viberation problem I hope wont be an issue as bad with the micro squirt. It seems a pretty solid circut. I will be mounted away from the engine. I do think that the isolators will be good with my mother board though, "design change" Thanks for the input and hope to hear more.
    Ya I used a crank sensor. Also used closed loop exhaust O2 control once tuning was close enough to run the loop closed. Added a wastegate and a blow off on the bike engines since for the service I was using them on there were a lot of wide open to full closed throttle moves. Sounds like the turbo you are using is smaller than it looked to me in the pic. Not surprised at that, pics can be hard to see detail in.

Cool project, have fun with it. If questions come up that you think I might be able to help you out on feel free to PM me. I'd have to read up on the Micro Squirt though as I haven't used that system.
    Last edited by rowycoracing; 08-16-2009 at 04:19 PM. Reason: added detail that should be helpful

10. Collapse Details
    The blow off valve is something I need that I have not thought of yet. I will have to do some looking to find one that can adjust from 5 to 10 psi..
    Whatever you do, do your best

Walmart 4-wheeler build https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/show-...tml#post169287

Turbo buggy build https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...rbo-buggy.html

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast