Thread: Troy's Piranha

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Troy's Piranha
    I've been working on this thing for a few months and here is where I was this morning. *Since then I've finished some of the welding, mounted the engine, radiator and put some paint on the rear a-arms.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z187/TroysPiranha/

Troy

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Troy's Piranha
    Hey Troy,
    It looks great! *Not sure what you have in mind on your rear a arms though.
    It won't work the way you have them now. Unless you plan on steering with the rear wheels?
    Links front and rear might help?? *You know the short outer bearing tubes that you see on most other Piranha a arms? Thats what keeps the upright & wheel from going toe in and toe out when accelerating and stopping. *I added the extra links on mine, because the bearing tubes are kind of short and see a lot of force constantly working them back and forth. The links help to lessen the effect.

3. Collapse Details
    You are correct Rick. *I'll use trailing links similar to what you've done. *I'll rely on those to keep the wheels pointed in the right direction. *The use of the heim joints on the wheel end will allow for camber adjustment and the trailing links will allow for toe adjustment. *I haven't made the links yet as I'm out of tubing, tube inserts and heim joints. *I also need to sketch up some brackets for the end that'll be near the seat. *

I've still got a long way to go. *I've been trying to get the main chassis done. *I'll probably move on to the rear suspension next and get it completed. *

Troy

4. Collapse Details
    I'm not sure how well that will work. Because now the link will see a huge compression force. With the standard a arms and added links the forces are distributed a little better.
    I guess you will find out, it may be fine.

5. Collapse Details
    What size tubing did you use on your links? *I'm planning on using 1"x.095 with 1/2" heim joints. *It'll be a while before it's running so I won't be able to report on the findings. *If it breaks I'll go a different route.

Troy

6. Collapse Details
    I used 7/8" x .120 with 5/8 female heims.
    I don't think you will break them. you may just get some flexing.

7. Collapse Details
    The 1" will be less likely to flex.

8. Collapse Details
    Looking good Troy.
    Looks like your doing some really nice work.
    Keep it up and ya on some projects you just never know until you
    try them.

But when that day comes keep us posted and remember when you build your own car it just means you know how to fix it if it does brake.

Anyways off to a great start and looking good... now go get more metal and get busy on it we want to see it done.

9. Collapse Details
    Yep, a trailing link will force the rear to steer. You have A-arms that will swing on an arch.an the trailing link will need to swing on a different plane. It is sure to bind. Build a link and tack weld it into place. Put the car on stands, remove the wheel, and cycle your suspension. Let us know what happens. At a glance I would build a new lower arm with 2 heims. *Nice and wide. Looks more like an "H". Pick up the bearing carrier at 3 points 1 upper 2 lower.

Ricks diagonal link must pick up (connect to) the chassis "on plane" with the A-arms.

One other solution is to build one more "tie rod" that connects the frame to a "steering arm" on plane with the arms. The tie rod must parallel the arms or you will get bump steer in the back. I hope this is clear.

10. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all the input.

I knew that the trailing link would force the rear wheels to change toe as the suspension cycled. *How much change is something I do not know. *I understand that zero change would be optimum, but how much is acceptable? *I also know that a small mount of toe in in the rear will help stabilize the car, this probably is only apparent in high speed situations, again, I have no idea how it will affect the handling of this thing.

Keep in mind that I'll be using this as something to run around in the woods with, maybe a trip to LS and occasional blast across a grassy field.

Troy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast