1. Collapse Details
    Any Metric to Imperial Complications?
    Question
    Hi,

I'm about to start a Piranha III build as my first buggy build. I live in the US so all of my steel stock will be imperial rather than metric as in the plans. (i.e. ill be using mostly 1" x 0.120" round tubing rather than 25mm x 2.6mm, theres really no difference here, 0.002" or something)

I've looked through the plans fairly carefully and see a few things that MIGHT need to be changed from the slight difference. Most of them are small laser cut parts (I still intend to buy the chassis kit from Edge) that are meant to be "notched" for 25mm tube. I've got a small CNC and should be able to easily cut new parts for these. Other than that it just appears that a few things need to be slightly shifted to accommodate the square tubing difference as I'm planning on keeping the outer dimensions of the frame the same (40mm x 2mm square tubing replaced with 1.5" x 0.083" square tubing, a 0.070" difference). The difference of the square tubing is significant but if the outside dimensions are made to be the same then the round tubing should still fit no problem with the dimensions in the plans.

Am I missing anything? Surely people have done this before. Any advice? Things to look out for? Thanks in advance.

Chassis pic uploaded for reference.

chassis_large.jpeg

Dave

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Any Metric to Imperial Complications?
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Nice, you made it here instead of that hard to follow Facebook page.

It sounds like you’ve covered the bases on conversion. Even if there are small discrepancies you can fill gaps with weld and cut clearance as needed.

Start up a build thread here - it’s SO much easier to post progress and follow here than on FB as it’s all in one place instead of a paragraph here and a paragraph there.
    Sand is for fast cars

Dirt is for fast drivers

Yellow Dog Racing

3. Collapse Details
    Re: Any Metric to Imperial Complications?
    Quote Originally Posted by K-fab View Post
    Nice, you made it here instead of that hard to follow Facebook page.

It sounds like youíve covered the bases on conversion. Even if there are small discrepancies you can fill gaps with weld and cut clearance as needed.

Start up a build thread here - itís SO much easier to post progress and follow here than on FB as itís all in one place instead of a paragraph here and a paragraph there.
    Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely be starting a build thread here. The facebook group is fun to scroll through but like you said its hard to follow any single project.