Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    piranha rear with bearing carrier
    Question
    Attachment 25076

would this work i need some help for the inside how to find a way to secure the axle inside i would rather this than the lot of laser cutting and this seems cheaper and easier

of course id be adding alot more support for it but you get the idea i

if theres anywhere with pics or thread like this could you link me

any help would be very much appreciated thanks

2. Collapse Details
    Re: piranha rear with bearing carrier
    How much power are you gonna ask it to deal with(??) and the weight matters to but we can kinda guess a typical Piranahas weight. Unless your sure a six spline hex will do.

You are asking mostly on how to hold the axle in the middle to keep it from going left or right while it spins?

Could gun drill it down the middle and secure with a bolt to each flange side. Other ways are cut a groove on each side and get a circlip to hold it.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

3. Collapse Details
    Also a simple hole drilled and tapped in each end to secure the flange on with a bolt for each side would near mimic how VW uses to hold thier flanges on. Just use good red or really good blue locktite.
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

4. Collapse Details
    I think hes asking what goes on inside the "Bearing carrier", Its basically just a machined tube with bearings push fitted into each end which hold the splined bar. Like this:

5. Collapse Details
    Yes nutz4sand that's a great help so drill and tap holes in the splined shaft then put the hubs over and secure with a screw and washer ? Oh and I'd be looking it to carry 600 gsxr,cbr,zx6 etc? Could it carry it ?

Twigster would the bearins have an outer flange going around the outside the carrier tube? Then the two Huns holding them in? Sorry it probably sounds stupid lol

6. Collapse Details
    Try to get a peek at a old VW IRS diff with the flanges off. Its just a drilled and tapped hole that a bolt goes into to hold the flange onto the splines. The CV flanges should have a lil shoulder to hit the bearings inner rotating surface. Thus no rubbing non moving surfaces of course.

With the center tube machined to hold the bearings it should not be able to move back and forth if done right.

7. Collapse Details
    I see how would I get the bearings to stay in the bearing carrier?

8. Collapse Details
    You gotta figure outt the shaft size first the flanges will be on.

Then you find bearings that fit OVER that shaft that can handle the RPM's and the loads they will need to deal with. (Good bearings seals too if you want them to last. Spend a few more on better seals as its cheaper than cheap ones that fail and ruin a weekend of run and damage other $$$ parts!!)

Then you find a tube thats bigger around than the bearings on the tubes outside. But smaller on the tubes inside diameter than the bearings outside.

Then you or you have somone turn the tube on a lathe and cut a opening in the tube for a press fit of the bearing(or bearings if you run two on each end of the shaft) into the tube.

If you look at Twigsters pic above you can see the pink tube has material cut away and the bearings are pressed into it. Thats what you need to do.

This would be easy-peasy for any machine shop or anyone with a lathe who even half knows what they are doing with it.

9. Collapse Details
    Err I meant to say red tube. Flanges are pink.. (I got pink on the brain.... )

10. Collapse Details
    Now I definitely know what to do know! Lol

What material do you think I should make the bearing carrier out of ?
    There is a Cnc milling/lathe about 5mins from me but they only work with stainless steel would this be durable enough??

I'm annoyed too lol had a chance at getting a lathe for 120 but when I rang the guy sold it 10 mins before I did ring

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast