Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    budget supercharger
    what do ya think.......let it have it, 1500 bucks, turbo will cost same and and be lots o work.

Sealed bearings and no oil or water to plumb, kick in the ass for my wifes 800cc buggy.

HOME @ rjssuperchargers.com

4 to 5 pound of boost.......see level performance at 4500 feet (Reno)

Shine
    Last edited by K-fab; 07-10-2008 at 10:28 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: budget supercharger
    Although turbos take a little more fab time they are way more efficient at making power. And can have little to no lag if you do not size it too big. The kit looks cool and simple to install.
    Last edited by K-fab; 07-10-2008 at 10:29 AM.

3. Collapse Details
    get ya a 12 volt vacuum cleaner and plumb it to the top of the carb...less than 50 bux... that kit would be cool on a 2 smoke for sure....

4. Collapse Details
    Looks like a nice kit. Is it sized for your application? I see a regulator. Is it a rising rate? How does the kit limit boost? Be a lot simpler than a turbo for sure. I prefer a turbo but that appears to be a sweet kit overall and not too expensive.

5. Collapse Details
    My impression is it limits boost by not being capable of producing but about 5 lbs...
    Last edited by K-fab; 07-10-2008 at 10:30 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Waste of money IMO, you could do a budget turbo setup for much cheaper and get far better results. If you need ideas i'll throw some your way if your interested.
    Last edited by K-fab; 07-10-2008 at 10:30 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    You should be able to do a turbo setup for less than $1000 if you do it yourself
    Last edited by K-fab; 07-10-2008 at 10:31 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    "800CC SOHC Stock Engine HP = 18 / Supercharged Engine HP = 42"
    "These results are actual rear-wheel horsepower at only 4psi of boost. Engine results may vary."

The numbers on the site seem bogus since you cannot more than double your HP on 4psi. Atmospheric pressure is 14.7 at sea level. 15psi of boost means 15 psi above atmosphere so theoretically double the mass of air. So it would theoretically take 15psi to double your HP. There are other bottlenecks which make that generally not true. For instance, you did not double how much exhaust can flow out of the engine.

Wrapping that belt around that tiny pulley seems like it would not last long. Will the overdrive of that pulley setup be enough to even get that compressor wheel into it's designed efficiency range? Paxton supercharger's use a planetary setup. I believe Vortech uses a belt setup, but it is two stage. The belt off the crank then a second internal stage.
    Last edited by K-fab; 07-10-2008 at 10:31 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    From the looks of the setup these aren't even true superchargers. They look like turbo compressor housing with modified turbine shafts. Which would easily explain the horribly low psi #'s and that tiny pulley. There trying to increase there rpms as much as possible to make any psi at all out of that turbo compressor. Pretty dumb though since turbo compressor wheels spin at over 100k to deliver there boost. I doubt this thing even hits 10k, it's barely pushing any air.
    Livewires correct about that hp # too. Usually you can say 1 psi of boost generally equals 10 hp in a tuned engine, + or - of course. But when your starting with an 18 hp engine 3-4 psi isn't even going to come near 42 hp, maybe 25-30 but no way in hell is it 42.
    If you want ideas i can tell you how to put together a turbo system using a bunch of stock parts that will be reliable, cost around 500-750 dollars and produce WAY more power than that thing.
    Last edited by K-fab; 07-10-2008 at 10:32 AM.

10. Collapse Details
    Well I am not trying to back this guy up but I have seen, built, and installed a ton of superchargers in the past at my engine shop, and we had a dyno as well, this COULD work if it actually gets the 4-5psi. The 10 HP per psi thing is wrong, if the engine is designed poorly enough, and flows air poorly enough, that much boost could do what they claim, the average V8 in a street car picks up like 100 from 4-5 psi and that is typically nearly double the factory output and the cars today are much better than the 800cc lawnmower this is going on, really think about it 800cc and 18HP?? Pretty lazy motor for sure! Just my $.02...
    Last edited by K-fab; 07-10-2008 at 10:32 AM.
    The best things in life are free.......Riight, he's never been to Glamis!!
    Baja Bugs RULE!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast