Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Motor choices for smaller buggies....
    Was curious about what type of powerplants are out there that are small and would be good for a smaller buggy. *Also need transmission choices, which will prob. be the CVT setup. *

By small i'm thinking 55" track width, 80-90" wheelbase, about 650-750 pounds in weight, 2 seats. *

So far, looks like the Sportsman 800 Twin EFI, and Sportsman 700 Twin EFI , would be good powerplants, they are pushing quads close to 800 pounds, but they only have 40 to 50 hp. *Is this very much? *What's the hp and torque of a ridge runner? *Looking for anything people have used or heard about that doesn't run like a turd in the sand, altho this will be for trails...
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Motor choices for smaller buggies....
    I like the German Weber 750 paralell twin. Its the one Redline uses in their Revolt buggy. Polaris uses them in snowmobiles in 80hp N/A trim and 140hp turbo.

http://www.weber-motor.com/en/products/ ... index.html

3. Collapse Details
    I don't know why the rotax motors don't get more attention. A 583 HO motor puts out 100hp stock, and is extremely reliable. Only sled motors that are FAA approved. Their cheap, easy to find, and they share a ton of parts with the JetSki motors, so carb and intake set ups are almost unlimited. I believe these were in the early draks, and are still one of the fastest motors they ever used. If you check youtube for "drakart top gear" theres a side by side test of a 583 drak and a 954 rage buggy. The drak holds its own. My buddy just picked up an entire sled with a 583 for about 400 bucks! Granted, he'll rebuild the motor to be sure, but its still a bargin compared to a late model turbo sled engine. There's guys running 440/580's against 600/750 mc's at a local track here, and they hang very well. Hell, a couple even win!

4. Collapse Details
    the can am v-twin atv motors are also very potent.

5. Collapse Details
    I think 30-40hp would be great for a trail buggy.......I think my pilot has 35ish, and to be honest, that's plenty for trails....Sometimes too much.....
    I think an engine pushing 100+ would be way too much for a trail buggy....35 can get you in trouble when your running through tight trails with trees all around....It just needs enough low end to be able to break the rear wheels loose on demand and have a top speed of around 55 or 60, even though you don't see those speeds very often while trail riding....
    Hoodlum

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum\";p=\"43752
    I think 30-40hp would be great for a trail buggy.......I think my pilot has 35ish, and to be honest, that's plenty for trails....Sometimes too much.....
    I think an engine pushing 100+ would be way too much for a trail buggy....35 can get you in trouble when your running through tight trails with trees all around....It just needs enough low end to be able to break the rear wheels loose on demand and have a top speed of around 55 or 60, even though you don't see those speeds very often while trail riding....
    Hoodlum
    I agree %100 percent. *I am building a shredder 2 and while I am not at motor choosing time yet I think I may be going with either an industrial engine w/ comet CVT and a sled reverse chaincase or an ATV motor. *Both will easily hit 45-50 which is tons on the trails but with good lowspeed control and torque.
    I recently drove a small homeade buggy powered by a honda 24hp twin industrial motor with a comet 94c. *It was a full independant susp. buggy with two seats so must have weighed at least 500 pounds. *It destroyed a newer polaris 500 ATV in a drag race. *Owner said that the comet clutch he has goes from .78 to 3 something in ratio so it makes up for the low rpm of his industrial motor, but his industrial motor puts out way more torque than the average ATV engine.
    I am still not decideding on anythign yet but using an industrial V-twin is certainly effective, especially for a trail buggy. *Just something else to consider. *High strung buggies can be a handful on the trails, especially when things get technical.

7. Collapse Details
    not sure about how much your ride is going to weigh but I have a tomcar pumping a kohler and its pushing 31 hp with 45ft torque and its not enough for me. *granted the tomcar is heavy as far as siders go and will do 45-50ish all day long but I am looking to pop something in with a little more hp/torque not too much just enough to get the added off the line punch for the longer hill climbs. *it crawls over rocks like its no ones business and can put some of the 4x4 siders to shame in that dept but to ride over a high sand dune just is not going to happen with the current power set up. *somewhere along 80hp would be very nice indeed. *I think the RR are running rotax 810s you might have a problem with the sportsman type quads if 4x4 due to trans running shafts to both diffs. *good luck I have been watching your sxs build I hope your making progress. *

I think an option for drop in would be the engine/cvt from a yami phazor
    or
    rotax 810/cvt

I am banging my head on trying to find someone that could fabricate an adapter for my current cvt and a streetbike engine shaft. *they make an adapter to bolt on to a flywheel but Im hitting a brick wall when trying to couple the cvt and street bike engine. *Care to take a look?

8. Collapse Details
    Ps with the trend in sxs or smaller buggies for commercial purposes you would want a efi 4stroke product. *Or so I would think.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Battleborn\";p=\"44235
    Ps with the trend in sxs or smaller buggies for commercial purposes you would want a efi 4stroke product. *Or so I would think.
    I'm leaning toward a newer 600cc streetbike powerplant with a cvt for my setup....
    www.SinisterSandSports.com
    918-521-3736
    Yes, i'm on facebook clicky clicky.................

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshi\";p=\"44236
    I'm leaning toward a newer 600cc streetbike powerplant with a cvt for my setup....
    Not to rain on your parade.....but......wouldn't trying to do something like that rise the costs to much? I know in another thread k-fab had modified a 2-smoke bike engine with a extension shaft and CVT but that entailed a bunch of machine work......and if you have to pay for that work it kinda defeats the whole idea of keeping costs down.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast