Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Fan cooled buggies
    Quote Originally Posted by ProtoDie View Post
    Attachment 37088
    our first buggies were 440 snowmobile engines / fan cooled. engines lasted a year or two. they did not like summer heat and racing. rebuilt one after a pistons went out,,,,,,then rebuild lasted a couple months. then there was all the clutching education & R&D.
    so we built new buggies with GSXR 600 engines. way happier,,, then switched to GSXR 1000 engines,,,, even better
    I guess if I had waited longer, I probably could have found a watercooled sled. Was kind of seeing if someone had a used Phazer, but all were out of my price range. Though now is the time to buy sleds. Long as I can keep an eye on the temps while riding, maybe I'll be fine. If it melts, I'll rebuild (if possible) and drop a different engine in.

I'd had thought a lot about using a bike engine as well, but I'd figured I'd save myself the hassle of shifting with going with a CVT setup. If I can find what clutch I have on it, I might be able to tune it better. Watercooled will be on the agenda next if something goes south.

Quote Originally Posted by 65chedderbob View Post
    Most fan cooled 440s come with shrouds already around the heads/cylinders to direct the air from the fan. I think he's just talking about some kind of scoop on the side or top of the vehicle that would act as a sort of ram air system at speed to provide some additional cooling while the vehicle is moving. I haven't needed to do this on mine but I've definitely thought about it.
    That's what I was thinking. Just wanted some description or a picture to reference off of to see what can be done about directing more air into that fan shroud.

2. Collapse Details
    Looking to get Badland ST2NG plans, since it should be easier on the wallet than the long travel. With that being said, is a K&N pod type filter pretty much the only option for carburetor engines, or do more options exist? Part of me wants to run a snorkel intake in a way like a Ram air to help keep water and debris from getting into the carb and engine, in a similar fashion to the legacy model from The Edge Products Hypersprint.

3. Collapse Details
    I have a few..kawasaki 340,440. a rotax 277 and a solo 210.
    The sled motors don't like it here in Texas ��..jetting and ducting helps. The original fan on the old kawasakis helps..I cooked a 340 that I had on a drag scooter because I didn't have enough air flow. It's being rebuilt right now.

Ebay has brand new Polaris indy 500 motors complete with cdi for $650 which isn't bad for a new water cooled motor if you are into the sled motors..good for about 70hp I think.

4. Collapse Details
    Just picked up the ST2-NG plans . I'm not surprised that fan cooled engines do not like the heat so much. Im not planning on riding this without the cylinder head temperature gauge and will stop to allow it to cool down if it's getting too close to 600⁰F so that should allow me to avoid catastrophic damage.

My plans at this point are the following:

Polaris Trail Boss 350L gearbox
    Polaris P90 driver/driven
    13 tooth output to a 52 tooth spool sprocket. This will get me around 21:1 low range and around 12:1 high rang with the 0.76 overdrive of the P90.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2