Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Hayabusa Pros and cons
    Good morning all,
    I am looking to get some advice on what year Hayabusa engine to look for. I thought I heard that some of the early units had trans issues. I've got a lead on a 2000 Busa engine with 15k on the odometer which doesn't sound all that bad.

Anyone have any tips on what to look out for?

Thanks!

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Hayabusa Pros and cons
    Trans is nearly identical through the geb 1 years. I believe the 1999 may have had soft shift forks, they are usually a light gray / blue color vs the gold/blue the later years have. Ebay is a good source for pictures of differences.

There was a change in 01-03 for the starter gearset, which broke the cases under a backfire. There is a mod which places a steel ring around the weak boss in the case.

My 06 engine has a little slipper clutch on the gear right after the starter, and there were a couple other renditions.

The gen 1 engines are said to have stronger cases. Not sure if the transmission is any stronger, but I believe a couple of the gears are wider in the gen 1, and the gen 2 shift forks have rounded knobs on the end, rather than squared off ends. Probably a change to make shifts smoother.

Any transmission work done to it? My second gear gave out after a few years. It wasn't chipped like everyone said it would be, but the faces of the gears pounding on each other wore them off square. This isn't tarmac, so there is a lot of chatter sent through the drivetrain. That and a slightly bent shift fork, and second gear wasn't reliable. It would hold under heavy, steady power, but any kind of chatter and it would pop.

3. Collapse Details
    I have heard but can't confirm that the Gen 2 gears are back cut from the factory, Gen ! has lower compression so it's a simpler task to add some boost without the need to do a piston swap.

4. Collapse Details
    Not positive on the back cut differences between gen 1 and 2. I think the zx14 is the only bike with all the gears backcut.

I had Robinson back cut all gears 1-6, but I can tell why they don't from the factory. The shift pressure to get back to neutral at a standstill is doubled since the gears need to spin against each other to get back into neutral.

I learned to snick into neutral on coast down. Overall the transmission is much more positive, and I haven't had a hint of it missing a shift.

5. Collapse Details
    A little research, and it appears the gen 2 has 2nd gear back cut. Probably not first as well, so it shifts into neutral smoothly from a stop.

I figured while I was in there, get them all done. First gear was showing signs of wearing on the dogs as well, but no chipping. I put in the solid shift shafts as well. It took a week of nights and weekends to get the motor out, torn down, and back in, so I don't feel like doing it again.

I talked with Robinson for a good hour about the topic. He said most of the first gear problems are due to people being shy about slipping into first gear. Don't. Just click it in, don't force it, but don't hesitate. Second gear usually goes due to a bent fork, and the fact that the gearset comes unloaded as it passes through neutral. One wrong engagement, and it tweaks the fork even worse. And eventually it cannot hold.

He did mention he hasn't seen the wear that I had one the dogs of my 1st and 2nd gear, but he deals with on road stuff.

6. Collapse Details
    Great info guys!
    It sounds like the engine as a whole regardless of generation is a stout power-plant.
    I do like the relative simplicity of the older models, like my 750 in regards to the electrical system. It was pretty easy to modify to fit my car.
    I am pretty stoked to have the torque way down low. Pretty much my 750 max torque which is at 12k will be at 3k with a busa engine. THAT sounds like fun. LOL

Justin
    Nowhere near the desert.

7. Collapse Details
    There were a number of small changes up til ~03, so since care needs to be taken. If you can find a later year Gen 1, you would be better off.

The ecu was also upgraded at some point during Gen 1 as well, so not everything will swap. The gixxer and busa forum is good for info though.

8. Collapse Details
    I dont have any technical info to offer up, but i did buy JD66's Gen 2 busa motor ....absolutely love it .....great power on demand in my 2 seater ....we ride the Oregon dunes (Coos Bay) and Sand Mountain in Nevada.....does very very well in these riding areas. Good luck in your choice .

9. Collapse Details
    I too have to say, I love the torque of the Busa, I had a gsxr 750 in my car, had no torque off the bottom, difficult to get rolling, it sounded awesome though, running around 15K rpm, I just could not see that engine lasting too long driving it that wound up all the time, the busa has good power all through the rpms, you can cruse it at 4-5K and down shift for fun mode.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
    I too have to say, I love the torque of the Busa, I had a gsxr 750 in my car, had no torque off the bottom, difficult to get rolling, it sounded awesome though, running around 15K rpm, I just could not see that engine lasting too long driving it that wound up all the time, the busa has good power all through the rpms, you can cruse it at 4-5K and down shift for fun mode.
    EXACTLY!! My car gets going well but as you perfectly stated it sounds awesome up in the RPMs and yes, I don't want to grenade the thing running like that all the time. Damn, now i'm getting exited. LOL
    Nowhere near the desert.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast