Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Mid sized snowmobile engine or Suzuki sv650 engine for buggy
    Hi guys I am looking at building a protodie 630r for my first buggy and then latter when I build a bigger buggy give this one to my wife. I've been thinking about the Yamaha four stroke 680 twin phaser engine. The buggy is very light around 700+ with the phaser engine so it should go good. It would be used mostly at the dunes but on trails around the house. I also thought about the Suzuki sv650 v twin sport bike engine but I really don't know much about either so I'm looking for some input from those that do know about them. They are close in power with the sv having about12 or so more. The sv650 has a very flat torque curve and makes good hp up to 65 or 70. I'm not worried about the wife driving it as she has been driving sticks for years. The other consideration is availability of the engines. I can find lots of the sv 650 engines as its a sport bike so they get wrecked a lot. The phasers are out there but trying to come up with one with the electronics is hard. And the sv engines are half the price of the phasers. I would think a v-twin with a flat torque curve wouldn't need as much shifting as the smaller sport bike engines would. And the phaser with a cvt wouldn't need any shifting. But to me the v-twin would be unique. So any ideas you might have will be appreciated thanks Bill

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Mid sized snowmobile engine or Suzuki sv650 engine for buggy
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    The Phazer is a killer little power plant. I loved them in the two cars I had. Bullnerd and OdyPilot have them and will probably agree.

3. Collapse Details
    I have one, not sure what you mean by "Yamaha four stroke 680 twin phazer engine"
    Mine is a 2007, it is 4stroke, 500cc and 80hp. It tops out around 11,000RPM, it is light and fast, great for a small buggy.
    I kept the engine in the factory cradle with jackshafts CVT, reverse and chaincase. The reverse is slick, it is a push button on the gauge pod.

4. Collapse Details
    Jerm you are right on the Yamaha phazer engine. I don't know where that came from. And I know they are stout for their size. Thanks Bill

5. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Wasn't there a 670 two smoke that was called a Phazer?

6. Collapse Details
    The old 2 stroke phazer were 485cc fan cooled
    Last edited by Beruba; 11-06-2016 at 05:42 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    I believe the 670cc liquid cooled two stroker was called "The Exciter" But they may have been 570cc. I even seem to recall they were 570cc then went to 670cc but again this may be untrue. 570cc seems to be more right in my mind.

Till the phasers went to the four stroke they were all air cooled I think. But do not quote me on this. The phasers were always super light ultra nimble trail sleds. With a light rider who knew how to ride they were hard to keep up with in tight twisty trails.

Where is Opsled when you need him! lol
    Now that NOBAMA has PROVEN he is the absolute WORST president in the history of history Jimmy Carter can thank him for stealing the dunce crown.

Lets hope the next guy repeals NObama care along with the rest of the stupid crap this blight on our windshield has done.

8. Collapse Details
    American Fork, UT 90 minutes from the sand
    I'm partial to CVT transmissions, but it may make sense to go with an engine that's readily available and cheap. Lots of buggies have been built with motorcycle engines, so you should find plenty of help here on the forums.

9. Collapse Details
    That was kinda my point on engines the Suzuki v twin sport bike engines both the sv 650 and the sv1000 are all over the place right now and they are cheap the 650 is somewhere in the 75 to 80 hp range and the 1000 is in the 130+ hp range they are light weight flat torque curve water cooled engines. And they are dirt cheap. It seems to be harder and harder to find the busas and other inline. 4s and when ya find them they are pricey. And yes I know that it's very hard to beat the busas and the 1400 kawasakis but that's not what I'm talking about. I would love to have a yoshi with a turboed busa but I gotta wait on that for a while hoping the oil field picks up and my shop gets busy again. So I thought a cheaper high performace engine in a light weight buggy would be a great place to start. I know that if a given engine is selling real cheep there has to be a reason. It's either the market is flooded with them or they are no good. I don't have any knowledge of the high performance sv v twins by Suzuki or anyone else except Harley. But if the road tests I've read on the sv suzukis is any indication they might be great power plants for Buggys. I was just wondering if anyone here does have experience with them. I do have a little racing experience with v twins. And I was racing in the desert in the AMA hare and hound series in the mid 80's with a 2stroke when husquvarna came out with a 510 four stroke that was based on their two stroke lower end. It was near impossible to catch one with a two stroke. They could just hook up and go while we was just spinning our back wheels. And ruining tires. So the smooth power and tractability of the four stroke was the future. And I know that in sand brutal peak hp and torque is what gets the job done. In those days I was running a cr500 honda with a custom wide ratio gear box and extra flywheel weight to try and tame the beast that that bike was. It would beat you to death just trying to hang on. So where did it shine in the sand and tight twisty courses. So my point is while the v twin sport bike engines might not be ideal for the sand the might just be good for everything else. It's all about compromise what works good in one area might not be so good in other areas. Sorry about this long winded post but I just had to put out there what I'm thinking Bill

10. Collapse Details
    I had a 2001 tl1000s V-twin pre-SV1000 motor in my 1300lb 2-seat buggy . It did pretty good in the sand(Oregon Dunes) but I still wanted more power. Well I blew the motor up this past summer and was forced to buy hayabusa motor...lol....I liked the V-twin and it had gobs of torque but i think a heavy two seater was too much for it. just my .02...good luck in finding a motor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast