Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details
    Re: Mid sized snowmobile engine or Suzuki sv650 engine for buggy
    Thanks for the input. I kinda came to the same conclusion on the v twin with some more reading on here and elsewhere I've decided for the dunes I'm going to need more punch. You said that the Tl1000 engine you had let go what do you think caused it. Cuz I still think the v twin Suzuki would make a good buggy engine just not great for the dunes. Thanks Bill

2. Collapse Details
    The motor is still sitting in an old tire in a corner of the garage. I've been getting my busa motor shoe horned into the buggy and reconnecting everything. later this month i'll get it on the engine stand and crack it open and see what happened. I think in a single seat buggy or very low weight buggy the v-twin would work well ..even in the dunes ....just didnt get lucky in my situation.

3. Collapse Details
    That's why I thought about putting it in the light weight buggy of protodies. It comes in at 700 lbs with a honda v twin. I would think the Suzuki twin would only weigh 50 or 70 lbs more. It would be fun and have more than enough power for my wife. Or I might go with a yamaha phazer with cvt for it. For my buggy I would want a lot more power. I would really like one of Yoshis with a busa and use it mostly for the dunes. And I don't live very far from Yoshi so one day soon I just might have to go see him. If the oil field picks back up I will do it for sure. Cuz I won't have the time to build one. Thanks Bill

4. Collapse Details
    I found a 07 yamaha 500 phazer sled for sale not far from me with low miles. It says it's a four stroke twin. I think I'm going to go look at it and if it checks out buy it. I want to put it in a protodies sport two seater for my first mini. I know it will be down on hp for the sand but it will be mostly for the wife. And won't see a lot of sand except for the first year. The engine is rated at 80hp and in that light buggy it should go real well. When I go look at the possible donor sled I will take a compression gauge with me. About what psi should I be looking at for that motor. Thanks Bill

5. Collapse Details
    Awesome little engine!
    I was going to post a link to my thread, but all the pics are gone.
    Heres a couple super quick phone vids of the kind of power it makes.

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/proje...tml#post295478
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

6. Collapse Details
    Do you know if the phazer has reverse? If it does you can use that also. Here is a picture of my engine with bulkheads, jackshafts and reverse. I basically took the whole midsection of the sled and bolted it to the back end of my buggy. You can also see the protodie rear spool in this pic, works well.

Last edited by Jerm; 11-17-2016 at 10:19 AM. Reason: fixed pic

7. Collapse Details
    Bullnerd I watched the vid it was short but that's ok I seen what I wanted to. It snaps the back around good in the tight stuff. Good looking car by the way. Thanks Bill

8. Collapse Details
    Jerm. Did you use the box from the sled. It looks like it. I was thinking of using the low hp fnr box from rpm. But what you have is sweet too. I want to get a whole sled for the electric parts and harness and never thought of using the box from the sled. Did you have any probs matching it up for the jack shaft. Thanks Bill

9. Collapse Details
    Bill, what do you mean by "did you use the box" I assume by "box" you mean the chaincase. Yes I did use the chaincase, you can see in that picture the final drive shaft which is a hex shaft. I attached a sprocket from that to the protodie spool. On the phazer chassis the chaincase is built into the side bulkheads, they are 2 aluminum castings on either side of the engine. I had to trim the bulkheads a little in the rear to clear the rear spool. Click on my screen name and go to my build thread. There are tons of pics showing what I ended up doing. If you have a the full sled you can utilize the reverse and chaincase, you will want that for the gear reduction trust me. This is a cheaper method than an RPM gearbox. I paid the same money for the entire sled compared to the cost of an RPM, and I used more than half the sled for my build. You can then part out some things like the skiis, track, tunnel and make some money back. Its a cheap way to build a quick and efficient buggy.

10. Collapse Details
    Jerm that's what I was talking about on the rear I missed out on that sled. But I might wait until after the season ends and then try to find one. I still got to get a buggy for that engine so I have some time. And I've been busy trying to make some of those dollar things so I can support my buggy habit. Thanks Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2