Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    New Yamaha turbo sled engine
    Don't get on here much anymore so I don't know if this has been talked about yet.

Yamaha has a new turbo sled engine based off the 3 cylinder EFI 998cc sled engine. It's done to Yamaha standards so it should be a winner. Time will tell.

http://www.amsnow.com/news/dyno-test...nder-dyno-test

Thought some might be interested.

opsled
    I reserve the right to change my mind if someone can prove to me it needs replacing.

Sarcasim is my weapon of choice.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: New Yamaha turbo sled engine
    Impressive horsepower. Less than impressive torque. And what's with showing only 2700rpm of the graph? Gutless on the bottom?

3. Collapse Details
    Actually, that is a very impressive torque curve. Super flat all the way to the top. That thing should be a fun ride. If it makes 204HP in factory form, I'm sure a little ECU tweeking could produce quite a bit more.

4. Collapse Details
    I like that it's flat, but I'm still skeptical of it when they only show such a small portion of the RPM range. I'm also curious why power is dropping off at 9000rpm on a 14,000rpm engine.

I mean I'm not saying it's going to be a bad, boring engine...that's a lot of horsepower and a lot of torque...but, having dealt with a lot of boosted R1's that make more power on very mild builds...I guess I just had my expectations in the wrong place.

5. Collapse Details
    Scottsdale, AZ. 10.9 miles from the trailheads
    Wow - that's going to be a killer unit.

6. Collapse Details
    Cold Spring MN ...Dunz season's ust around the corner
    [QUOTE=makenzie71;315950]I like that it's flat, but I'm still skeptical of it when they only show such a small portion of the RPM range. I'm also curious why power is dropping off at 9000rpm on a 14,000rpm engine.

Its not a 14g motor in sled form . A CVT at 14000 rpms would do some damage prob blow the belt or clutch high 8's is about where ya want a CVT to turn and this new yami is direct off thr PTO not reducted like the Apex
    The question is not if its gona roll. Its when ..

That be some kind of church cruzzer or commuter bike thingy ?

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    I like that it's flat, but I'm still skeptical of it when they only show such a small portion of the RPM range. I'm also curious why power is dropping off at 9000rpm on a 14,000rpm engine.

I mean I'm not saying it's going to be a bad, boring engine...that's a lot of horsepower and a lot of torque...but, having dealt with a lot of boosted R1's that make more power on very mild builds...I guess I just had my expectations in the wrong place.
    These 3 cylinder sled engines were ground up built to run a CVT (in a sled) unlike the 4 cylinder and Phazer twin. Those had there base in design come from the cycle world.

The 3 cylinder is not designed to run higher than 9000 rpms and that's why it falls off above that #. Dynotech does most of the trusted unbiased dyno work for all sled engines. Factories use them, magazines use them and so does the private sector when trying to prove real dyno #'s. They are proven/trusted. Most stock sled engines work in the 6 to 9000 rpm range so they often only report in that range. It has nothing to do with hiding what is below 6500 rpms.

Top HP #'s were also not their goal. I'm sure that if the goal was to beat the private sector's boosted #'s on any level they would not have much trouble doing so.

opsled
    I reserve the right to change my mind if someone can prove to me it needs replacing.

Sarcasim is my weapon of choice.

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by makenzie71 View Post
    having dealt with a lot of boosted R1's that make more power on very mild builds...I guess I just had my expectations in the wrong place.

This is a motor with a warranty, not an aftermarket all out tune. That is why I think that there is a lot more to be had in the tune. The limiting factor will probably be injector flow.

9. Collapse Details
    Good to hear from you OP.
    "Speed is time-time is speed"-Dennis Hopper

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    did you use a special bigfoot camera or something ,you know all blurry could be a tree stump kinda thing .

10. Collapse Details
    Not impressed by the torque? 125 ft lbs out of a 1000 is damn impressive. That is well over a stock busa.

1000cc road bikes may make more power, but they are also spinning around 14k nowadays. Having over 120 ft lbs on that wide of a band would be awesome for the dunes.

Btw, good hearing from you opsled, been a while since we've seen you around. This motor brought up a lot of attention from the wildcat crowd. It would be awesome to see in a wider version of the yxz in coming years.
    Proud owner of a two seat pucker-mobile. Funco inspired mini buggy powered by a Busa. Giving out free rides to anyone brave enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast