Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    ecotech with transaxle
    I really want to put a transaxle on my buggy instead of a CVT behind my ecotech. Is there anyone out there that has done this in a mid engine setup with a built up type 1 transaxle? I don't have the budget for a mendeola and I just want to see if anyone has had any issues with a type 1 handling the HP off road.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: ecotech with transaxle
    I've never seen a modern offroad car built with a Type 1 trans. With the power of the Ecotec, I would at least be looking for a 091 from a reputable trans shop with Weddle everything. A build 091 is going to run around $3500 with a core. When you add up the cost of an RPM and CVT setup, it isn't too much more. I've seen 2Ds on RDC for around $4500 with a fresh rebuild.

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | 091 Rebuilt Transaxle

Off-Road Racing Classifieds | RDC | 091 bus box with both mid board plates

A built 091 is going to last you for 3-5 seasons depending how you drive it. Reverse or 3rd gear will shell out. We just pulled 2 of the 3 091s out of the bugs for rebuilds this summer. Both had nuked 3rds. One has a 2.4 Ecotec behind it, the other has a 2.5 Subi. That was with taking it fairly easy on them too. Oh, and get a GOOD shifter assembly. This will help with the longevity.

ProAm 4-Speed Shifters, Black :: Kartek Off Road Parts & Accessories

Bad shifting killed the 3rd 091 two seasons ago.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

3. Collapse Details
    x2 on the 091 or the 2d. also look at a 094 side shift. these are out of the later water-cooled bus and have a real reverse gear that is tons more beefy. I have read that a stock 094 is good to about 300hp, but don't quote me on that.

4. Collapse Details
    I completely agree. 094s are pretty hard to find though. The side shifter setup makes packaging a little more difficult but nothing that can't be easily handled. As far as stock handling 300hp, that may be true but you're going to want an aftermarket close ratio 3rd and 4th and a Superdiff.
    Over complicating mini buggies since 2005

Certified lazy fabricating laser junkie

K-Fab Says: Don't ride with me - I flip stuff like RZRs and myself over the bars...

5. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the info. I agree that the bus transmissions are better. The problem I found is that the R&P in a bus trans can't be flipped for a mid engine setup. The reverse gear is in the wrong place. I found a type 1 setup today that has a super diff and weedle gears that can flip the R&P. All Alum. case and 930's installed. Rated for 200 hp and 200lbs of torque. The Ecotech I bought is 175hp and 170 lbs of torque. I'm not stupid crazy on the peddle so I think it may work. It also will come with a clutch that will give before the trans will blow. I was going to go with a 091 until the mid engine issue. I learned that you can mount the 091 upside down to fix that but my adapter plate won't work. I really don't want to extend the motor out the rear 2 feet and have the whole motor weight behind the rear wheels for balance issues.

The type one is less than an RPM box. Don't get me wrong the RPM is a great box and I was going to use it. I already bought the CVT for it, but I just personally really like to shift. It is the same trans axle the drag racers are using with 4 to 500 hp motors. But I think we all know offroad is going to put a little more and different stresses on the trans.

I think it may be worth the try. If it doesn't work I can report I paid for an education.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by spud nut View Post
    Thanks for the info. I agree that the bus transmissions are better. The problem I found is that the R&P in a bus trans can't be flipped for a mid engine setup.

Ahh, now I see why the type 1. I am still going to say they suck. I had a mid engine sandrail with a 2.3 turbo ford engine. That thing ate transaxles for lunch, breakfast, and dinner. weddle 002 gears, HD side covers, 3.88 R&P, superdiff, and a rhino case. The reverse was made of glass, and the superdiff didn't stand a chance. a stock diff built right is actually stronger. The superdiff has to be machined PERFECT for all four spider gears to be in contact with the side gears. If you want to have a cheap, solid setup, go for a transaxle from a passat. The years to go for are 98-01 if I remember right. Even with a built type 1, one good shock load and it is toast. If the one you are looking at doesn't have a rhino case, dont waste your money unless you are willing to buy one and have everything swapped into it. Otherwise you WILL break the case clean in half and ruin most of the parts in it. A mid engine setup needs the case gusseted because the loading is opposite from the original intended design of the case. If you want proof I think the bellhousing is still sitting behind my garage that came on my buggy when I bought it. I sent the trans half to the junkyard last week.
    Last edited by I_Ride_Sand; 11-01-2014 at 02:48 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Ride_Sand View Post
    Ahh, now I see why the type 1. I am still going to say they suck. I had a mid engine sandrail with a 2.3 turbo ford engine. That thing ate transaxles for lunch, breakfast, and dinner. weddle 002 gears, HD side covers, 3.88 R&P, superdiff, and a rhino case. The reverse was made of glass, and the superdiff didn't stand a chance. a stock diff built right is actually stronger. The superdiff has to be machined PERFECT for all four spider gears to be in contact with the side gears. If you want to have a cheap, solid setup, go for a transaxle from a passat. The years to go for are 98-01 if I remember right. Even with a built type 1, one good shock load and it is toast. If the one you are looking at doesn't have a rhino case, dont waste your money unless you are willing to buy one and have everything swapped into it. Otherwise you WILL break the case clean in half and ruin most of the parts in it. A mid engine setup needs the case gusseted because the loading is opposite from the original intended design of the case. If you want proof I think the bellhousing is still sitting behind my garage that came on my buggy when I bought it. I sent the trans half to the junkyard last week.
    Mine is similar. It is wheedle gears with a super diff with 4:12 r&p, billet side plates, and yes it is a rhino case.

8. Collapse Details
    I do like the idea of the passat trans. I will for sure keep that as an option.

9. Collapse Details
    what would you have to do to the passat transaxle to bolt it up to the ECOTEC? i found some trannys for like 700 bucks so id be willing to throw a couple gs in parts in it unless that really wouldnt do me any good.
    seriously thinking of investing in the weddle HV1

10. Collapse Details
    I am wondering if the ring and pinion in a mid shift O91 can be flopped. The reverse gear is in the nose cone so maybe. Worth looking into.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast