Thread: Good Deal?

1. Collapse Details
    Good Deal?
    Hey Guys, I'm looking at a 2005 CBR1000 engine for my project. It comes with the exhaust, wiring, computer, airbox, basically the whole shot. He bought it for his buggy, but had a stroke and is unable to finish so hes getting rid of it for $800. Im not sure what is considered a good deal, I was asking what I should offer him so I can stay as low as possible on budget. Also, this should be going in the electrical, but while im here. He hasn't fired it, but it is near mint condition. I was wondering if id be able to do a quick wiring for the ignition and whatever else I'd need to see if it would fire up. Just seeing if anybody has some insight, any help is always appreciated, Thanks!
    "Badass ain't cheap, and cheap ain't badass" -Richard Rawlings

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Good Deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Weingartz1997 View Post
    Hey Guys, I'm looking at a 2005 CBR1000 engine for my project. It comes with the exhaust, wiring, computer, airbox, basically the whole shot. He bought it for his buggy, but had a stroke and is unable to finish so hes getting rid of it for $800. Im not sure what is considered a good deal, I was asking what I should offer him so I can stay as low as possible on budget. Also, this should be going in the electrical, but while im here. He hasn't fired it, but it is near mint condition. I was wondering if id be able to do a quick wiring for the ignition and whatever else I'd need to see if it would fire up. Just seeing if anybody has some insight, any help is always appreciated, Thanks!
    If he has the key and barrel, firing it should not be that hard. If it has fuel injection (pretty sure it does), then you need a high pressure fuel pump to run it for more than 2 seconds and that could be a problem. Squirting a few drops of fuel down each carb will fire it for a few seconds though. Doesn't tell you if the injection is working but it tells you if there is spark etc.

As for a good deal or not, It depends. Look up engines in your area and see how it compares. To me that sounds like a good deal compared to prices here, but you would be surprised what you can find for sale cheaply. If the engine doesn't run, you just paid $800 for a scrap pile.

I bought my engine in a similar way, as engine plus a pile of parts and I was lucky and the engine rocked. You never know though with something you can't see running

3. Collapse Details
    if it's a runner, i think it's a really good deal. most bike and quad engines get parted down and sold without electrical, carb/FI and exhaust and still list for 500 to several thousand, depending on what it is. then it costs another 500 to a grand to get the rest of the parts.

only other thing to consider is to get the engine serial/vin number and call a honda dealer and have them run it through the "stolen" database to make sure you don't get burned.
    Last edited by Xbird; 02-10-2014 at 09:11 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    If it is complete and runs, $800 is a steal. Even if the engine is bad, at $800 you could part the rest out and come close to making up your loss.

5. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    I'd say yes. If its got ing/key and gauges it a bonus. Check some of the honda bike forums. The guys racing will do away with the "extra" weight and will usually tell how to bypass ing. You'll have some other stuff to bypass to fire it, sidestand, and clutch.