Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Phazer 480 transplant help
    got a decent running Yamaha Phazer 480 sled that i want to pull the motor and drive assembly from to mount on my mini buggy. I've been told that it's best to remove the whole part of the frame that the motor and clutch and gear box are attached to, and just weld the whole kit and kaboodle onto the buggy.

I have no idea where to start. Looking under the hood of the sled, it looks complicated. Lol.

If someone can point me in the right direction of a tutorial or 2 or 3, that would be awesome! Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: Phazer 480 transplant help
    I am sorry but the only thing that you can do is to read,read and read some more. Then you,ll know enough to ask the right questions. This site is like a course on fabrication, frame design, steering philosophy, suspension design, and a general pep rally to keep the members interested and motivated to complete there buggy.LOL. Welcome to the site and please take and show many pictures.
    P.s. You might want to redesign the rear suspension to handle the power and speeds the new motor will produce...
    Last edited by boilermaker; 07-01-2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Looked again at pictures

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by boilermaker View Post
    I am sorry but the only thing that you can do is to read,read and read some more. Then you,ll know enough to ask the right questions. This site is like a course on fabrication, frame design, steering philosophy, suspension design, and a general pep rally to keep the members interested and motivated to complete there buggy.LOL. Welcome to the site and please take and show many pictures.
    P.s. You might want to redesign the rear suspension to handle the power and speeds the new motor will produce...
    suggestions for suspension improvements? i'm "graduating" from DIYgokarts.com, so this is what i know, from lots of "reading and asking questions". lol.

primary concern though is learning the proper plan of attack to remove and transfer the sled motor, so that i don't wast my time GUESSING. i've scanned the forums here for a couple of hours and have yet to find any clear guide as to how to do this efficiently. just lots of "i put a sled motor on my buggy, see?". lol.
    Last edited by mysteryboy28; 07-01-2012 at 01:10 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Generally speaking, when you are looking for that kind of help most of the people that can or will offer you advice would first need to know what your skill level is and what kind of tools you have at your disposal.

That being said I would remove the engine from the sled and fab my own mounts. Take careful measurements of everything possibly even invest in a clutch alignment tool. And take a lot of pics to use as reference. I found that mounting the engine and aligning the clutches was the easy part. The hard part was finding a home for those exhaust pipes.
    Good luck and have fun.

5. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    There are so many options that you have to make some choices about what you want, then some help can be given. To me, the back end of the frame should be cut off. Then you have to pick what kind of suspension you want; A arms, trailing arms, ect. And decide if the remaining frame can handle what you weld on. Then you need to decide if you want reverse, do you want chain drive or belt drive, or a combination of the two.

I don't know of any tutorials as every buggy is different. Since you are starting with a Chinese buggy, you might want to check out Buggynews.com. Those guys are more familier with these kind of conversions. There are some guys on here from that site like chuckorlando that are helpful, but you'll see some examples of what's been done to buggies like yours there. The responses you've recieved may sound like no one wants to help, but unless someone offers to design it for you, it's time to figure a plan that's within your abilities. Good luck!

edit
    I'm sorry, I forgot to address your main question about the engine removal. I don't have any experience with that sled, but what to use from the sled is also a design issue. If you want to use the drive parts downstream from the engine, you might check out minibajaman's build. He used the... I can't think of what it's called, the gear box for lack of the proper term, and had to do some re gearing to get the final ratio right, as I recall.
    Last edited by odypilots; 07-01-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    I race, therefore I am

6. Collapse Details
    First the Phazer engine is one of the greatest fanners ever made. 56 hp with the OEM pipe. 70ish with an Aaen. They were piped down by Yamaha intentionally. Even with a stock pipe they will outrun every other fan cooled sled engine I can think of with the possible exception of the Yammie 540. Very tough and long lasting. Built from 84 to about 97 or so.

I don't build buggys but it sure looks as though you will need to move the rear axle back to have enough room between it and the seats for the engine. I don't think you would want to have engine weight behind the axle on a setup like that.

opsled
    I reserve the right to change my mind if someone can prove to me it needs replacing.

Sarcasim is my weapon of choice.

7. Collapse Details
    "Chinese buggy"... lol. I built this puppy completely from scratch, with no plans. so i think my fab skills are decent enough.

Looking under the hood of the sled there are lots of bolts and wires and hoses. I want THAT in my buggy, and i want to do it the most efficient and time saving way possible.

So for those of you who have actually removed a sled motor and dropped it onto a buggy swingarm... help a guy out?

8. Collapse Details
    no response will be as helpfull as a project log documenting the install,with all the problems And how they were solved...or I will describe,hook sled engine to jackshaft you fabricate and that to the axle.hook up electrics and gas,possibly coolant,and giveeer..a sled engine is a real basic thing dont let it overwhelm you,its pretty quick and simple to pull it and see how it mounts and what it needs..

9. Collapse Details
    here's some useful info i got from a fellow on DIYgokarts...

"Remove the exhaust and all wiring taking note of which ones you'll re-use (ie: CDI wiring). Unbolt the motor mounts and remove the engine as a complete assembly Remove the bottom drive axle, the one that drives the track, and then remove the entire drive assembly with the clutches intact. That's usually when I powerwash the frame. Then I get out the sawzall with good blades and a rotozip and start cutting off the frame section that I want to use. Just make sure you don't cut the engine mounts and clutch mounts. Should take you about 2 hours. get someone to help lift the engine."

anyone care to elaborate on that? it sounds pretty much like how im going to attack the sled, so if anyone has some tips and pointers to contribute to that - it'd be greatly appreciated!

10. Collapse Details
    Millenium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteryboy28 View Post
    "Chinese buggy"... lol. I built this puppy completely from scratch, with no plans. so i think my fab skills are decent enough.

Looking under the hood of the sled there are lots of bolts and wires and hoses. I want THAT in my buggy, and i want to do it the most efficient and time saving way possible.

So for those of you who have actually removed a sled motor and dropped it onto a buggy swingarm... help a guy out?
    I apologize for mistaking your build as a Chinese buggy, that was my bad. I never questioned your skills.

I have removed and mounted a sled engine into my buggy and was truely attempting to "help a guy out". I wish you nothing but good luck and won't bother you with my thoughts any more.
    I race, therefore I am

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast