Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What I learned about Arctic Cat 660 T engine
    I have that a buggy with a Arctic Cat 660 EFI Turbo engine for a couple of years, the following is some of the stuff I learned about having one.

The Arctic Cat 660 EFI Turbo engine runs hot. When the engine gets too hot , it will deactivate the turbo. At about 245 F the engine turns its self off. After the engine cools down the engine will run with no problems. So if the turbo starts to cut off , its time let the motor cool down. I had these problems until I added the a double core radiator with high output fan.

I have a double core radiator with high output fan. I use only water and water wetter. The stock thermostat is 180 F, I replaced with 160 F thermostat Suzuki part number 86224 44210, I got it from JDPRacing.com . The engine made by Suzuki for Arctic Cat.

There is a 3/16 dia coolant line that runs from the thermostat cover to the throttle body and from the throttle body to the engine block, this line heats the throttle body, this is snowmobile engine, in warm weather you do not need this. Run the 3/16 dia coolant line from the thermostat cover to the engine block, bypassing the throttle body. The pictures below are of how I ran the 3/16 dia coolant line to bypass the throttle body and a picture of the throttle body with the coolant lines removed.

On the snowmobile forums ,lots of the snowmobile guys have problems overheating the Arctic Cat 660 Turbo.

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 01:49 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Re: What I learned about Arctic Cat 660 T engine
    I run a larger intercooler for the turbo, the snowmobile intercooler is to small for hot weather. A bigger intercooler will lower the temperature of the air going in to the motor. Below is a link to the intercooler I upgraded to

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/motor...tercooler.html

3. Collapse Details
    I also added a oil cooler to my Arctic Cat 660 Turbo engine see the link. This helped to lower the engine temperature about 10 to 15 deg F

https://www.minibuggy.net/forum/motor...bo-engine.html

4. Collapse Details
    I live in Texas in the summer the outdoor temp is 105-108 F. Doing the double core radiator with high output fan and larger intercooler for the turbo and removing the coolant lines from the throttle body and using a 160 F thermostat Suzuki part number 86224 44210 , the engine would have a water temperature around 225 F , when running hard on a short course track.

The alternator on the engine put out around 72 amps, it can provide a enough power for a high output radiator fan and other engine functions and lights, my fan uses 18 amps.

When I added a oil cooler to the engine this lowered the the water temperature to 210 to 215 F.

5. Collapse Details
    I installed a JD Powersports plug and play JD Controller on my Arctic Cat T660 engine in my buggy. It plugs into the stock ECU box and takes the 110 hp engine up to 150hp. The kit came with clutch weights and spring that work good on a buggy. This change is a big improvement on my buggy. So more horsepower makes more heat, so I had to do more to lower my temperature than stock motor may need to do.
    JD Powersports has other engine mods , but I only got the plug and play JD Controller box.

JD POWERSPORTS

added 01-20-2014
    I have found with the JD Powersports plug-n-play box set on the max power setting I have to use 100 octane race gas. Using pump gas with octane booster was causing over heating problems. It may be pump gas in the part of Texas I live in may not be good. The 100 octane race solved the problem.
    Last edited by stress; 01-20-2014 at 09:02 PM.

6. Collapse Details
    Blow out the dirt and dust in the drive clutch with high-pressure air hose after a day of driving. If you do not do this it will cause a drive clutch seizure over time. You can rebuild the clutch if it has a seizure, Arctic Cat sells the parts and tools. The Arctic Cat service manual shows how to rebuild the clutch.

I have been getting my parts from Country Cat Arctic Cat
    http://www.countrycat.net/pages/OemP.../S2004ACFTTUSB

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:23 PM.

7. Collapse Details
    When I was upgrading to a double core radiator with high output fan Ron Davis Radiators , told me to use straight pieces of alum sheet on the sides of the radiator coming out about 4 inches in front of the radiator. They said this would help stop the air from flowing around the radiator and crate a positive pressure zone in front of the radiator that would help push more air through the radiator.

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:24 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    This is engine hop up stuff I ran across . I did not use any of this stuff just including it for information
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Boost valve
    Boostvalve Home

BoostValve kit for Arctic Cat T660 turbo
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    arcticchat.com forum talking about the 660T engine

Modded T660... - ArcticChat.com - Arctic Cat Forum

-----------------------------------------------------------
    hardcoresledder.com forum talking about the 660T engine

T660 Dyno Info - HCS Snowmobile Forums

How much horsepower/lb of added boost? - HCS Snowmobile Forums

-----------------------------------------------------------
    fuel controller

http://www.sears.com/magnum-tuning-e...SPM5583179902P
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detai...20Touring%20LE
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detai...rformance_chip

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/subca...chips_upgrades

http://www.zimbio.com/Motorcycles/ar...ce+Chip+Arctic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERFORMANC...-/380260330307
    Last edited by stress; 11-26-2011 at 06:54 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    On the water line coming off the turbo is a little steel tank with a bolt in it , if you take the bolt out sometimes trapped air in the coolant system will come out. When I refill the coolant system after working on the engine run the engine for about 10 min, turn the engine off and take the bolt off to let any trapped air out , when water runs out then the trapped air is out of the tank , and I put the bolt back in.

Last edited by stress; 12-26-2014 at 02:25 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    The Arctic Cat 660 Turbo engine has a blinker code system to help find engine problems. Chapter 3 page 17 of the Arctic Cat service manual shows how hook up a wire in the fuse box to get the blinker to start flashing. Remove the fuse block cover and locate the diagnostic plug: then install the jumper wire to the connections marked DN (diagnostic) and GND terminals. Arctic Cat does not tell you what the blinker codes are. I got the codes from a Arctic Cat dealer

1 long blink is equal to 10 blinks

number of blinks - problem
    --------------------------------------
    12 - ok
    ---------------------------------------
    13 - air-pressure sensor
    ----------------------------------------
    14 - throttle position sensor
    -------------------------------------------
    15 - O2 sensor
    ---------------------------------------------
    16 - crank angle sensor
    17 - knock sensor
    18 - air temperature sensor
    19 - water temperature sensor
    ------------------------------------------------
    27 - ignition coil
    ------------------------------------------------
    29 - barometer pressure sensor
    -------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by stress; 11-25-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast